Interested in opinion about Angie's list

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cincyMack

Interested in opinion about Angie's list

Postby cincyMack » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:51 pm

I'm have been in the process of getting moving quotes for a upcoming interstate move from NC to OH. I used the referral service of AMSA (american moving & storage association) as well as Angie's List.

As a new member, I'm interested in hear the opinions of the community and experienced volunteers of this site on getting referrals from the two organizations that I listed. (please forgive me if this is not posted in the correct forum).

Honestly all of the quotes I have received have seems "shady". I've received quotes that are both weight and cubic feet. Some binding and some not binding.

In regards to Angie's List all have the certified and A rating. Nevertheless it all feels questionable - for example one company submit a quote of $5,000 for moving my one bedroom household that does not have bedroom furniture.

At any rate I'd like to hear what folks think of Angie's List.

BigLeeCalif

Re: Interested in opinion about Angie's list

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:03 am

I don't know if you have chosen a mover yet...

Though I have been a contributor for 16 years, since I have retired I am not here as much.

I don't know if you have selected a mover yet, but if you have not, DISCARD any estimate who wants to charge by the cubic foot. Your estimate may sound 2000 cubic feet, but by the time you see the bill, it can double.

All estimates should be by the weight and should be binding. If you want to know whether you would be better off packing, ask for an estimate with packing, and one without.

Use this little tidbit as a way to gauge the mover. Have you ever seen their trucks? Do they have their own hauling fleet? Ideally, you would like a company to pack, load, transport, and unload your shipment. If you use a major van line, and even some independents, you'll find out that they have an agency network to handle packing, loading/unloading help for the van operator.

Remember, those guys that show up in unmarked trucks are probably going to hand off the job to another unmarked truck to haul...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

whodat1b

Postby whodat1b » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:15 am

Good Morning - I agree with BigLeeCalif, run away from any company that quotes you in cubic feet.

Start with a company that is LOCAL and is willing to come to your home to give you an estimate and quote you in pounds. So I went to Angie's List enter a move from Atlanta, Ga to Brooklyn, NY.

They gave me four suggestions - One company was in Tn, one in FL, along with the third in NC. They did list Georgia Pack and Load which is local to me.

One question to ask them - Will they self haul?

I am not as active as I once was in the industry. I can say it's not as shady as it once was. I would suggest you start here (Movingscam.com) looking for a mover.

Best of Luck - Please return to the site and update us.
Do Unto Others, As You Would Have Others Do Unto You!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:15 am

If this potential consumer is in the Atlanta area, there are quite a few established and licensed moving companies, including my friend Archie White who owns AC Transfer, which is United Van Lines. He and I have worked together since 2003, when we both joined the movingscam panel. He is a man of integrity, and I just discovered something new on his website. They finance moves. Not sure if that is for Georgia moves, or interstate.
www.acwhite.com
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:26 pm

To cincyMack,

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Angie's List, The people that run the site are not very educated about the rules, regulations and workings of the household goods moving industry. They are recommending companies based on customer ratings and the customers posting the reviews are not knowledgeable about the industry either. I have seen posts on Angie's List like "Oh, XYZ Moving Company came to our house in Philadelphia at 7:00 a.m., loaded our stuff and delivered to our new house in Indianapolis at 6:00 p.m. We were so grateful that we got our stuff fast and nothing was damaged." The party who wrote the review is probably not even aware (or they might not care) that the movers who did the job must have broken every traffic, speeding and safety violation on the books in order to give that customer "great service."

My point is that Angie's List does not distinguish between who is running legal and who is not - so for that reason alone I would look for my recommendations somewhere else. Try searching the federal records for licensed movers at www.protectyourmove.gov .

Good luck with your move :)
NYCMover

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:00 am

I agree with the pros here. I wouldn't book a move with Angie's List.

It isn't the same as looking for a plumber, and they can recommend a licensed plumber.

I had to get on Facebook for allowing a company locally here in California to advertise on their platform, and this company never bothered to put their Cal T number on their advertising. When I checked with the Bureau of Household Goods & Services [a new bureaucratic department created by the PUC], they told me this company was not even supposed to be operating, because they did not fulfil the requirements to get their application for a permit approved.

I guess once you get into this industry, you notice little things that should be in an advertisement but is missing. When I called the company, the lady scoffed and said we have our permit. I said ok you will get a call or visit from the state with a probable cease and desist order.

Return to “Open Community”