Random Charges not in Contract

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
odie

Random Charges not in Contract

Postby odie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:32 pm

So I am a total noob at this whole moving thing, but I signed a contract with a storage company and was told that the complete first three month charge would be discounted to me for a total of $109.91. However, I received an invoice for a $20.12 charge for the third month and a completely new invoice before the third month was up for the full charge for the fourth month ($78.55) which I originally thought would be prorated with the third month as the sales clerk explicitly told me at the location.

The contract that I signed is bones bare... It does not have the rate of the rental unit or the rate of the rental unit at the discount rate. However, it does list fees. It does list the system of paying rent which matches the fourth month being a completely new month that is outside of the first three month discount but this does not match what the salesperson told me or explain the random $20.12 charge.

I have a ledger that is super confusing and that I cannot decipher for the life of me.

I am unsure of how to proceed from here and wanted to ask if anyone have any advice on how to deal with this kind of situation?

BigLeeCalif

Re: Random Charges not in Contract

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:27 pm

You said that the storage company gave you a discount for 3 months storage, but they offered you a discount of $109.91.

If they gave you that discount, but did not give you the charge for the storage unit, how can you be sure what that $109.91 was discounted FROM?

I have always been skeptical of any contract where the terms are not clearly spelled out before you sign. I guess that is from my years in the entertainment business, and having to deal with unscrupulous people.

I don't know what state this transaction took place in, but you do have several options. The first is to ask to speak to someone at the company in more authority than the sales person. In California, we used to have a term for people who sold one thing, but delivered another. Bait and Switch. If the manager cannot explain to you to your satisfaction a clear timeline of what charges and discounts have been applied, then I would consult a civil attorney.

I don't know how much you put into storage, but I can say that not many storage companies pro rate storage, unless the storage is only for a couple of days in the month in question.

It is highly dubious when a company or individual tries to pressure you into signing a blank contract. It gives them all the ammunition they need to add charges and/or fees that were not specifically discussed up front.

If you would like to scan it and email it to me, I would be happy to check it out. I have 29 years in the moving business, and I once studied contract law.

Since it has been a few days since your most, maybe you have already worked it out with them.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”