Small move - LA to FLL - suggestions?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mattinla

Small move - LA to FLL - suggestions?

Postby mattinla » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:51 pm

Thanks to this web site, I just found out the mover I chose (Ben Hur) is not reputable. So now I have to find a new one. I am going to be moving in with someone in Florida and had planned to sell most of my stuff. I only wanted to take the few pieces of furniture that are meaningful to me and clothes and personal effects. Ben Hur estimated 240 cf at $4/cf. Everyone else had quoted by weight.

Before I found Ben Hur, I had a quote of $1700 from Movex, $2200 from Box Brothers, about $2200 for UHaul... I really liked the idea of Ben Hur being full service, as these other options are all self service.

Any one have any other ideas for me?

Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: Small move - LA to FLL - suggestions?

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:56 pm

I've never heard of Box Brothers, perhaps someone else here has. If you use Movex, perhaps requesting Broadway Express (BE) would be best. Click here for a full information collection. LA to FL in a UHaul would be risky, I think, simply because of UHaul's history of not amintaining their trucks. My husband and father went from MI ro OR in one, and barely made it. Ryder/Penske and Budget would have better trucks.

I'll see what i can find on Box Brothers. Any of these would be beter than a scam mover! I think most of the major van lines are booked up at theis point, given your date is only a few weeks away, but perhaps a moverguys might have some names to toss at you for gettin gin-home estimates. Read the "How to find a Reputable Mover" article on the homepage.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:01 pm

OK, Box Brothers, of Hackensack, NJ, does not have a license yet. They ahve a DOT # of 991636, but there is no license to be found under that number or their names.

If you are looking for a full service mover, you should find one in the town you're moving FROM. NJ is nowhere near LA, or even FL.

I forgot to mention earlier that if you go with Movex, you can hire loaders from a local moving company, if you don't want to do the work yourself.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:20 pm

I should clarify about Box Brothers, so I don't confuse anyone. Box Brothers is not licensed as a full-service mover. They sell boxes, ship like UPS, rent trucks, but cannot come to your house, load up your things, transport them to your new house, and unload. If you think this is what you're getting when you hire them, then they are not licensed to do so.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:22 pm

Did you call any major van lines? Using the 400N tariff, 2100 lbs minimum, and a discount of 60%, your move would be approximately $2100 to 2300. That seems in line with your other quotes. That is full service move, but does not include packing, valuation, etc.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:22 pm

Matt, I just answered you on your original thread. But if cost is a concern, of your choices listed above, Movex is the best in my opinion, as long as you can get either Broadway Express or Landstar as your hauler. Those two companies that Movex uses have good reviews on this website.

There are labor companies that Movex can refer you to, I'm sure, as MusicMom says, and you won't have to do all that much work yourself. If you've already contacted Movex, you can't get a quote directly from Broadway Express since Movex has implemented a non-compete agreement with them.

ABF is also excellent if you want to explore that as an alternative to Movex. I'm not sure, but I believe that their quote will be less than Movex' and you could use the difference to pay for labor help (which is also available with ABF; names of three companies to contact are on their website under Moving-Related Services). A person named "kara" is reporting on her move with ABF in this thread if you want to look at it - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1853
Last edited by Diane on Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattinla

Postby mattinla » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:23 pm

Thanks for the info Music Mom...

Since I am new to this board, have their been many reports on the "pod people"? Where they drop that container off at your place, and you load it, and they come and load the container on a truck? I think one was called City to City moving, but I had trouble getting through (probably not a good sign).

My only problem with the ABF and the Movex type move is that I really don't think I need the minimum amt of space I am required to take, and I hate spending money on something I don't need.

Will a full service place quote on a smaller move? Maybe it would turn out cheaper?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:28 pm

Matt, just want to mention that if you have 240 cubic feet, that's 3 to 4 linear feet. ABF has a terminal-to-terminal service with a 3-foot minimum. You would have to take your stuff to one of their terminals to load it and go to another terminal to get it, but I think it would be quite inexpensive, probably less than $1,000 judging from what other people have told me for a similar length move. I guess you just have to decide whether the hassle factor is worth it. For door-to-door, ABF has a 5-linear-foot minimum as you probably know.

mattinla

Postby mattinla » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:32 pm

So for terminal to terminal... I could hire a local mover to bring my stuff to the terminal...and then one on the other end? And just move what I need to move.... hmm, I have to check into that.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:39 pm

Yes - someone moving 6 feet a similar distance told me that his quote was $800 terminal-to-terminal, so yours would be less. You probably have 4 feet. You can also do a combination door-to-terminal or terminal-to-door. There is supposedly a $50 off coupon for ABF in the USPS change of address packet, and an ABF spokesperson told me that you can sometimes use the ramps at the terminal free of charge if you get the people on the right day and smile at them. Or you can back the small van right up to the ABF trailer so you don't even need a ramp.

You can tell that I recognize you as a similar penny-pinching soul so I'm pulling out all the stops to tell you how to save $$$. :wink:

mattinla

Postby mattinla » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:55 pm

Thanks Diane!

I just sent ABF a quote request for their container service. I did their size estimator, and it came to 3 feet, so their site suggested that option. After I get the quote, I'll call and ask about options of plain terminal-to-terminal. My biggest fear is that I underestimate how much stuff I have! :)

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:11 pm

You have far less than the container holds. ABF also has excellent space estimator tools on its website. Look at the menu at the bottom of the home page. I have to go to work now, but catch you later . . . good luck!

mattinla

Postby mattinla » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:32 pm

Well, ABF is really pushing the containers! I got an online quote for $1200. Then I called and said, "I really only need 3 feet, maybe 4." And the quote guy told me $795 for 3 feet, and $195 per foot after that. I said I would do that, and he transferred me to the schedule person who said they really want to get people using the containers since it's a new service, and she would give me the container for $795. And then she said she would re-adjust my quote so I could complete the quote on-line and save another $25. So my reservation is made.

I was so bummed this morning when I found out the truth about Ben Hur.. now I am feeling a lot better!

THANK YOU ALL!!

And I will be sure to report fully on my experience.

BY THE WAY: Is there anything I should know about canceling Ben Hur? We only spoke by phone so there is only the verbal contract, and we had agreed on July 13th, and talking the 1st of July to firm things up. So I should be able to just call and cancel, right?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:22 pm

BY THE WAY: Is there anything I should know about canceling Ben Hur? We only spoke by phone so there is only the verbal contract, and we had agreed on July 13th, and talking the 1st of July to firm things up. So I should be able to just call and cancel, right?

If you've paid a deposit, send a typed, signed letter Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, and keep bugging them about refunding the deposit. If you haven't given them a cent, then just call them and canel. There's nothing in writing, and I doubt they recorded you.

Return to “Open Community”