door to door vs. door to port

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
ssbhill

door to door vs. door to port

Postby ssbhill » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:09 pm

I have had a few quotes for a move from CA. to Denmark. The door to port is about 35% less then door to door. I have had great advice from Michael Zlotnik and companies like Ranier about doing door to door. They say it is much better due to the headaches at the port of entry. Please share experiences and what the possible costs are at the port of entry.

Rinkens

Re: door to door vs. door to port

Postby Rinkens » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:33 pm

How large is the shipment?

ssbhill

Postby ssbhill » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:30 pm

The shipment is @400 cubic feet.

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:45 pm

I would say I was right, ha ha.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:51 pm

yes you were...but I am doing what you told me get second opinions. The great thing is all the reputable companies like yours have said do door to door and all the "unknowns" say go either way. At this point it seems like the companies that care are the ones that are most honest. They may cost a little more but for peace of mind I hope it is worth it. Thanks Mike.

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:16 pm

Is it better or worse......neither is better than the other. One of course is more of a service. The real question is how much work do you feel like doing for the amount of money you will save. You can always find an agent to clear the goods for you on the other side and if you are thrifty enough you would be able to rent a truck and some day labor to deliver....but do you want to do all that for what you will save? So add the cost for the agent to clear, the truck rental, and the day labor and I think you will agree the amount that you will save is not worth the hassle.....or maybe it is that is personal choice. Best of luck I hope all goes well.

Regards,
Joey

Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:18 pm

Great answer Joey. Thats what I explained also. I think the bigger hassle would be getting someone to clear it, as you mentioned, and labor, as opposed to renting the truck.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Rinkens

Postby Rinkens » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:29 pm

Opps forgot to sign in.....

Regards,
Joey

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:25 pm

When you have paid only to the Port YOU are responsible to pay all local terminals, unloading fees, warehouse fees, documentation fees, telephone, fax, arrival notice fees, and every other charge the shipping lines agents can think of to charge you as a one time client. They do not disclose the charges you WILL pay to claim your cargo at destination.

Do not go with an agent offering a Door to Port rate as their agent at destination can and will make up any lower costs for shipping by collecting extra at destination fees.

Also keep in mind that most legit international movers cannot insure your goods once it has left the port so if you are thinking of insuring your goods your normally have to have your agent arrange a full Door to Door move on your behalf.

Stick with a Door to Door move to avoid very unpleasant results at destination when you try to claim your freight.

Good luck with the move.

sssbhill

Postby sssbhill » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:29 am

thanks everyone! ecspecially michael :lol:

Return to “International Moves”