USA --> Australia, Rainier

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.

USA --> Australia, Rainier

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:39 am

Just a quick post to describe my move to Australia with Rainier Overseas (www.rainieros.com).

Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc gave me a reasonable quote, my packages were picked up on time, and they arrived after about 8-10 weeks in Australia, a bit slower than Rainier promised, but not too bad.

My advice is to watch out for the following things:
  • You will be told by some here that you have to allow the movers to pack your goods so that Australian Customs do not demand inspection. This is not true. It's merely a way of charging you more for the move. I packed all my own stuff except for a few boxes, and Customs didn't even inspect my goods. AQIS came to look because I declared some wooden items, but the inspection took 5 minutes and he waved me through without opening more than one box.
  • Interestingly, the few boxes that were packed by the movers in the USA were absurdly bulked out by crushed butcher's paper, adding about 45% of volume to the boxes they packed! If they'd packed my whole shipment I would have had to pay a LOT more. Beware!
  • Another gotcha: I took the time to be on site when the US moving company, hired by Rainier, packed by boxes into a liftvan. They half-filled the huge liftvan with my goods, and when I asked what was going to happen to all the spare space left over in the liftvan, for which I would have to pay, they said that they'd just fill it up with empty boxes like "they always do" (this is Slater Allied, BTW). I had to make numerous calls to Slater, and Rainier, and even have a flaming argument with Slater before they agreed to put my shipment in a smaller "non-standard" liftvan. I saved myself a few hundred dollars right there! The idiot at Slater couldn't get it into her head that overseas moves are done on a VOLUME basis, not a weight basis. She seemed fixed on the idea that because the weight was more or less the same no matter how big the liftvan, the charges would be the same.

So pack your own boxes, don't listen to the self-appointed experts who tell you not to, be on site when the US movers pick up your load, insist on a liftvan purpose-built to your requirements (or at least close the the right volume -- call before pickup day with an exact idea of your volume or you'll face a battle), and expect to pay another 25% of the total charge in Australia for port charges, AQIS inspections, etc. Think hard before transporting stuff back here, it may be cheaper to rebuy the lot.

Re: USA --> Australia, Rainier

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:43 am

And just let me add: make sure you have a very detailed inventory of every item in every box. Mine impressed AQIS no end.

Also, if you are a DIY type, get the stuff just delivered to the port, no more. Do your own port to home move with a rental van. I saved another few hundred dollars like that. Australian movers charge ridiculous prices for short moves.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:10 am

Yes people, listen to the one time international move expert.

Because she couldnt be more wrong in assuming her move is the same as everyone else's move and thus the same rules apply to her move as others.

In regards to her remarks, or his:

"You will be told by some here that you have to allow the movers to pack your goods so that Australian Customs do not demand inspection. This is not true. It's merely a way of charging you more for the move. I packed all my own stuff except for a few boxes, and Customs didn't even inspect my goods. AQIS came to look because I declared some wooden items, but the inspection took 5 minutes and he waved me through without opening more than one box."

Your goods can be inspected and cost you more money which is completely out of the hands and control of your local agent in the US or your forwarder. Thus anything ask of you is not to get more money but to hopefully protect yourself from exposure and more fee's. Just because they didnt inspect you to the third degree does not mean it doesnt happen. You can pack your own goods, but it is advised not to. And if you do you must have a complete detailed inventory. Whether you pack your goods they still need to be inspected by the agent and that doesnt change the cost (at least for me) whether I inspect them or I pack them.

"Interestingly, the few boxes that were packed by the movers in the USA were absurdly bulked out by crushed butcher's paper, adding about 45% of volume to the boxes they packed! If they'd packed my whole shipment I would have had to pay a LOT more. Beware! "

Agian not true. This may be Rainers policy but not true. Your not charged based on a box count, paper count or tape count. And if you were, then again, different strokes for different folks I guess. In most cases your origin services include packing based on an origin rate times your weight. Not a box price.

"The idiot at Slater couldn't get it into her head that overseas moves are done on a VOLUME basis, not a weight basis."

Another idiotic statement. Most moves are based on weight and volume. In your case because you used liftvans volume and weight do come into play.

So the lesson here is simple. The experts here do know what we are talking about. Just because something was or wasnt done on your move doesnt meant it cant or wont happen to someone else.

To me you sound like someone that moves with a known scammer, but doesnt get scammed (one of the few lucky ones) and then goes out and calls everyone a liar and blah blah blah. And overnight becomes the expert.

So dont assume just cause your move was this or that, that every move is the same, especially with international.[/quote]
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:22 am

I've actually moved internationally 4 times now (SA --> UK, UK --> Oz, Oz -->USA, USA -->Oz), so I'm not a "one time international move expert".

They can either listen to me, or they can listen to someone selling a service, like you.

I'll let them choose. :wink:

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:23 am

Most definitely, let them choose. And yes, 4 moves, compared to the companies that do 1000's of these a year and going through the constant changes and such that international moves offer.

But again, one move, one experience does not make them all the same.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

el15

Postby el15 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:09 pm

Another way to deal with this is to pack the cartons but leave to lids open so, your movers can see the contents and still not to charge you for these VERY EXPENSIVE services.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:24 am

The one valid point is that it may be cheaper to purchase new goods at destination, rather than ship them.

We say this all the time, even on domestic moves. Moving is expensive, and you are investing even more money into your used furniture. Is the stress and money worth it??

Return to “International Moves”