Bills of Lading

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.

Bills of Lading

Postby guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:58 am

I have been asked by my moving company to pay an extra $1,300 for my move. I'm pretty sure I'm being ripped off and I've asked to see the Bill of Lading. They refuse to give it to me until I have paid up in full stating that tit is company policy. Is this normal? Should not to Bill of Lading be freely accessible to me?
Thanks for your help.

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Bills of Lading

Postby twalker » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:08 am

Company policy my butt. The Bill of Lading is the contract between you and the moving company and they are required by law to give you a Bill of Lading when they pick up your belongings. For starters see Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move.

Who is this "moving company"?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:31 am

Where are you moving from and to?

The bill of lading you want a copy of is it the Ocean Shipping Company bill of lading showing your goods have been placed on to the ship? If it was an international shipment and they loaded your goods into a container by chance do you have the container number??

What reason did they give for making you pay the extra money?

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:59 am

Hi there,
Thanks for your replies. The reason they are asking for extra money is
firstly for an overflow charge of $600 (which might be legitimate). The second reason is that they underestimated my quote to go from the USA to Dublin, Ireland. They say they must go through London and that I have to pay to have it shipped from there ($600). It seems unfair to me and I've told them so with the reply that they could just abandon my stuff in London! I did ask for, and got, a container number and I do know when its supposed to arrive in London. The thing is I don't trust these people one bit so I asked for the bill of lading just to see proof that my items (including a motorbike) are in this container. As I said he refuses to give me the bill of lading until I pay up. The company is Global Direct Shipping who have a very dodgy track record going by other peples experiences on this site.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:55 am

Most of the major shipping lines. the company who's ship your container is on, have on line container tracking systems. You can go on line to track the container to see if it is loaded and to what post it is going to. Most on line tracking systems also have a piece count.

Please note the shipping company only issues the bill of lading based on the contents descriptions that Global Direct shipping Shipping give them and it's not audited by the shipping lines. So Global could make up anything to go on the bill of lading.

Did GDS ask you for the original title to the motorcycle? All motor vechiles incudling motorcycles must be cleared trhough United States Customs for exporting out of the country. US Customs will have stamped the original title authorizing its release. No customs release no getting on the ship. Also the VIN must be on the bill of lading for customs clearance in Ireland.

If you have any problem tracking the container on line and wish assistance please sign up here on the fourm and you can send me a Private Message (PM) and I can research it for you.

It does seem strange for container going to Dublin to go over London instead of Antwerp or Rotterdam but may be that are using a third party to ship from London to Dublin. Also the cost of $ 600.00 seems high also.

You also can call the Federal Martime Commission and ask for their assistance in the matter. They are very good at shaking down these scammers. FMC could assit is verifying the container is loaded and that GDS handled the export of the motorcycle properly. Office of Consumer Affairs and Dispute Resolution Services Contact CADRS: Phone: 202-523-5807

Hope above helps if not feel free to ask more questions and I'll try to assit

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:41 am

Thanks for your reply HardatWork.
I did manage to get a container number from them which I have tracked. It is at sea on its way to London now. Also for my motorbike they did take my Cert of Title and have already returned it to me. I did not notice a stamp on it though from customs. I am concerned that that they do not wnat to show me the Bill of Lading because either i) it doesn't exist and they haven't shipped my things or ii) the bill of lading shows that my stuff is destined for Dublin, not London.
I think I will try and give the FMC a call but if you notice an earlier post on this site, one guy tried that and GDS somehow found out and abandoned his stuff in a warehouse!!

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:12 pm

Another thing.
Since I'm being charged a large overflow I have tried to call the onsolidators that were supposedly used by GDS to pack up and measure the size (cubic footage) of my cargo. There is never an answer on the phone. Maybe I'm just becoming too suspicious though....!

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:38 pm

First if the container is on board and you have the correct container number then you should be OK there.

I would hound them about the overflow as much as possible. This may be more of a problem to sort out later is you had to go to the FMC than the container. There is no reputable consoildator that does answer their phone as they would die very quickly in this very competitve market if they did not answer their phones immedaitely. I would keep pushing on this portion of your shipment.

The bill of lading does exist because no shipping lines will load a container without the customs export clearance on the motorcycle and instructions from the shipper.

Have you tried calling the shipping lines direct and asking for a copy of the bill of lading? If you can check the tracking system again and get the booking number if it shows it on line. Then call the shipping lines and ask them for a copy of the bill of lading, they may not give you a copy of it as you may not be metioned on it but you might be able to confirm final destination ovber the phone. Also some lines have a on line tracking by booking number so if you can locate thye booking number you might be able to trace it that way. If you do call the shipping lines you will want to speak the Export Customer Service or Export Documentation Department Most major shipping lines have voice mail systems and you need to know the department you want in order to get to speak to someone. Again if you can trace via on line systems better than live person as they may not give you information over the phone.

fireflynn

Postby fireflynn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:59 pm

How much did your move cost? I am going from NY to Dublin soon and have a 2 bed apartment full of stuff and a vespa to send back.

All the best
L.

Return to “International Moves”