I hope someone can help

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
katiequinn

I hope someone can help

Postby katiequinn » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:57 am

I have given up on finding someone to move my stuff for me from KY to Brooklyn, NY. I really don't have that much stuff to pay the $1000+ estimates I have been getting. Therefore, I have decided to rent a truck and move myself. However, this presents another problem. I can get friends and family to help me load, but I don't have anyone to help me unload. UHaul has a service that pairs you with companies that help you unload in your destination city. There are a lot of customer reviews but they don't list a telephone number or address for any of the companies and your credit card is charged in advance (yeah, I know the most often used method to scam). I'm wondering if anyone has used one of these services and if so, which one? Also does anyone living in Brooklyn, NY or surrounding areas know of a reputable company I could contact to avoid this?

BigLeeCalif

Re: I hope someone can help

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:20 am

I don't know if you have had any luck with your original question.

I would avoid third party services for providing labor because you don't know if they are properly trained, or just some guys to toss your things around.

You mentioned moving to Brooklyn. My recommendation is to contact a Moving company because most of them employ what is known in the business as casual labor. These are workers trained, but maybe they aren't on the daily roster or offer availability on their days off.

One company in Brooklyn that I have heard has a good reputation is Gentle Giant.
Gentle Giant Moving Company
Moving and storage service in Brooklyn, New York
Address: 100 Bowne Street Bay 52, Brooklyn, NY 11231
Phone: (718) 907-1830

I'm sure you can google them, and look for reviews, or just go by and visit their facility. I did a Google Earth search, and from the street view, they are located right on the harbor, so they must do some international shipping and receiving as well.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”