Moving out of house - Need storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
RxExAx

Postby RxExAx » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:59 am

Hey, I'm trying to get some insight on the pluses and minuses of everything that goes into moving when you don't have a new place to live yet. We sold our house in order to make it easier for us to get into a new one, but the new perfect home hasn't arrived yet.

I have been debating all kinds of things - 1) Hire a separate packing company, then a mover to put things in a storage container until we're in a new house - at which point we hire a new mover. 2) Hire a full service company who will pack, move, store and bring to the new place whenever that happens. 3) Split it up accordingly...

I'm trying to figure out how to destress the situation while also figuring out what's least expensive. It strikes me as likely more expensive to rent my own storage space when I'll have to hire movers twice (one to get my stuff in and then again to get it out) but I really don't know.

Help? I honestly just don't know what's best.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:47 am

My suggestion is to hire a full-service moving company to store your household furnishings and cartons while looking for your new home. The primary reason I feel this is best has to do with liability. The mover will be responsible for everything from the time they pickup until the final delivery. I do not think you will find much of a price difference doing it any other way unless you are doing the moves yourself. Movers cannot compete with your "free" labor. Having the mover supply cartons & pack is wonderful but does cost a few dollars more. However, again, if the mover does the packing for you, they have the liability on the things they pack. If you pack the boxes yourself, the mover's liability on the contents of the cartons is limited.

Jeff.Walker

Re: Moving out of house - Need storage

Postby Jeff.Walker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:15 pm

I have to agree with Chaz. This is a situation that could be described as a typical move rather than a specialty move. It's not uncommon for people to move within the city in which they are living.

Hiring separate labor force from your mover will likely cost more than if you simply used the full-service moving company to begin with. That being said, make sure you read our article How to Find a Reputable Moving Company.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Return to “Open Community”