City to City Moving: CA to NY, are they good?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
zautumn

City to City Moving: CA to NY, are they good?

Postby zautumn » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:05 pm

Hi. I am moving my stuff from Berkeley, CA to Brooklyn Ny in August and have made a reservation with City to City Movers. You pack up a crate and they pick it up and drop it off. They have quoted me $1600 for one crate. Has anyone worked with them? Are they good?

Thanks.

twalker
Site Admin

Re: City to City Moving: CA to NY, are they good?

Postby twalker » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:09 pm

Nothing rock solid. You can search the message boards for "City to City" (in quotes) to find past discussions about them.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:34 am

Two other possibilities that you might consider are:

1. ShipSmart, which is said to be headquartered in the Bay area and was used and recommended by one person posting here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=278

2. The new containerized service offered by ABF described on http://www.upack.com/equipment/container.asp This would work only if you have a very small amount of stuff, and you have to take it to one of the ABF terminals and pick it up from the terminal.

No one has used City to City and reported back to us on it.

zautumn

Me again

Postby zautumn » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:34 pm

So I looked up all of the stuff on line like I am supposed to for City to City and I saw on their Dot sheet that they dont have a check next to household goods. Is this a bad thing?

DOT 896887

Thanks

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:16 pm

I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your specific question. As far as I know, nothing horrible has been posted about the company. However, in one thread I saw that MusicMom was raising concerns about their licensing. Also, just now I came across this recent comment on City to City that might be good for you to consider:
mattinla wrote:I called City to City 3 different times and left 3 messages, each a bit more annoyed than the last, over a 2 week period, and no one ever bothered to call me back. I never take that as a good sign for customer service. So I had given up on the idea of pods at that point until I read about ABF's version here. My dealings with ABF have been quick and courteous.

If I were moving, I would prefer an alternative like ABF that has solid recommendations and that would likely charge you about the same price (or less) for a similar level of service.

If you do use City to City, please come back and report on how it was so that we can advise others better.

mattinla

Postby mattinla » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:45 pm

OK, faced with the exact same dilemma, I would suggest doing a terminal to terminal move with ABF. I did finally speak to someone at City to City and they just came off as "smarmy". My City to City quote was $1700 for L.A. to Fort Lauderdale.

And then hire local movers on each end to get your stuff to and from the terminal. Local movers work on an hourly basis and will run $75-$90/hr for two guys and a truck. I spent $300 to get my stuff to the ABF terminal in Pico Rivera, and it will cost about the same to get my stuff from the terminal in NW Miami to my new place in Fort Lauderdale. The cross country part in ABF's truck costs about $800 for 3 linear feet of truck (that would be 3 feet deep by 8 wide by 9 tall)...and then around $200 for each additional linear foot.

I am now going to spend around $1400, and be with a company with proven excellent customer service. (My stuff is in transit now).

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:53 pm

Z, I'm making some assumptions here:

I believe that if you load your things into a container, and someone moves the whole container, it's the same as if you were shipping a filled box with a shipping company, therefore the container filled with household goods doen't count as household goods. One company like this that i looked at had a check next to Intermodal Containers instead of General Freight, I forget which company. So, no, I don't think it's bad that Household Goods is not check. See what happend when you ask City to City about this. They might have a more satisfying explanation. I do know that based on what people have said they've gotten for quotes, some of these container services seem a little pricey for what you get, but it's what YOU feel comfortable with. Some people like that you load the container and then lock it, and your things are safe until you unlock it.

I can't really say one way or the otehr if City to City is good, they're just too new in a new venue. If you do use them, could you please come back and give us some details?

Zautumn

Postby Zautumn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:11 pm

So......a report..

Based on the information and recommendations I read on this site....we skipped City to City and used ABF. We did one of their new container moves and it was only $1051 from the terminal in Oakland, CA to the terminal in Brooklyn, NY. We spent about $100 in Uhaul fees to get our stuff to and from the terminals but did the moving and packing ourselves which saved a lot of money but was really hard work.

The container was small. We had to leave behind a large futon, dining room table, four chairs, large desk and leather desk chair and a large stereo. We brought a queen size bed, two dressers, two end tables and about 30 boxes. It was certainlly NOT big enough for a one bedroom apartment. You have to have a very limited amount of stuff to use these things. Next time we will use the bulkhead.

However, ABF was GREAT!! The move was fast, we tracked it online and they showed up right on time! We will definately use ABF again and are very pleased with them.

Thanks to everyone and good luck.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:20 pm

Hey, I'm really glad it worked out for you! With your permission I'm going to post this on the ABF review thread on the sticky at the top of the messageboard.

The City to City containers have the same exterior dimensions as the ABF containers (7 feet x 8 feet x 5 feet), so you probably would have had the same problem fitting everything into one of those that you had with ABF. The ABF page actually says that you can fit "approximately one room" of furniture into the container, not a one-bedroom apartment's worth of furniture. - http://www.upack.com/equipment/containe ... efnum=2149
I've suggested to the company that they modify the page to show the interior dimensions of the container to give people a better idea of what it can hold.

It's great that you saved $450 over the City to City cost even counting your cost for a U-Haul.

Return to “Open Community”