Desperately need advice-moving out of Washington State

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
wamover

Desperately need advice-moving out of Washington State

Postby wamover » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:29 pm

I have a one bedroom apartment and I am moving to Miami Florida from Seattle, WA. I have talked to so many companies and feel like everyone is running a scam. That's how I found your website and hope you can help me.

I have about 2,000pds of stuff. I have considered moving myself but the 3,000 miles in gas will be at least 1,000 especially with gas prices so high + the truck and airfare.

I have someone coming from chipman on wed to do a in home quote. Any other recommendations to use in Seattle?

I have thought about selling everything and having my bed and antique chair shipped but that seems very expesinve too.

I looked into upack and they qouted me over 3,000 dollars.

I am not sure where to go from here. Any other suggestions at this point. I can not afford 3,000 to move my stuff.

Movinghelper

Re: Desperately need advice-moving out of Washington State

Postby Movinghelper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Chipmann is a good company and part of Unigroup.
United Van Lines and Mayflower.
There are a lof of good companies in the Seattle area and all you need to do is open the phone book.
Coming out of Seattle and going to Florida it will be a long way and expect a big delivery window with such a small move.
There are other options by using containers. Mayflower, United Van Lines, ABF, Atlas and Uhaul all have container shipments which would be shipped on freight truck. Ask your Chipman estimator about the container programs they have. In April I know they are offereng 1 month free storage as a promotion to get the word out on their container program.
Last edited by Movinghelper on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:04 pm

Chipman only operates as Mayflower and United in the Concord, CA office. All the others are straight United.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

wamover

Postby wamover » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Thank you for the responses. Do you think the container programs are cheaper? I have been finding them more expensive. I have had a lot of people asking for deposits up front. I have always been told never to do that. Chippman is one of the few that didn't ask for one.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:53 pm

As you see from my tag line, I do not believe in deposits and most reputable moving companies require payment upon delivery.
The containerized shipping programs are suppose to more reasonable in cost.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

wamover

Postby wamover » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:34 pm

door to door and uhaul are about 1700 vs 3000 that PODS, UPack, & other companies want. Thank you for the tip I think I am getting closer to finding an affordable option.

chptrkrules

Postby chptrkrules » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:46 am

Apex Movers in Seattle and Mountain Moving in Tacoma are both Stevens agents you can trust

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Actually, one of the recommended international movers here has a great system for transporting your goods by wrapping it as if it was an international and sending via common carrier in liftvans. This will give you a quicker delivery and eliminate a spread and is probably going to be cost competitive. Rainier Overseas does this for me all the time.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:05 pm

If you do it that way, the first question on my lips would be does your common carrier use air ride vans. That's a long way for a spring ride.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

promover2

Postby promover2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:08 am

Air Van (www.airvanmoving.com) is a high quality North American Van Lines agent. They do alot of our Origin and Destination work in Washington State.

wamover

Postby wamover » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 am

Thank you. I received my in home estimate and they qouted me a little over 4,000 which is way out of my budget. Does anyone know if you can negotiate with them?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:47 am

Not really. There's such a small profit margin in household goods moving that if they come down any more, they'll only break even.

Can you afford *close* to this amount? If you sold off some stuff, would that be an option?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58 pm

You stated when you began that you had a little over 2,000 lbs. How did you come to that estimate, since you said your estimator saw 4,000 lbs.

MM is right. There probably won't be any wiggle room for negotiating, because this industry is barely profitable as is. It would be different if you were moving to California or Oregon. But you're moving from sea to shining sea. That's 3230 miles of gas guzzling. You were a little off on your fuel calculation. Based on the average fuel consumption of the average rental truck, your fuel cost at today's prices is going to be closer to $1720 for your drive from Seattle To Miami.

I also checked the Uhaul one way rates. for the smallest 10 ft box truck, your rate when fuel is factored in is $3000. That truck only holds about 427 cu ft, which is not enough for 4,000 lbs. The next size, the 14 ft box truck, would run about $3150 including fuel. It would hold almost 800 cu ft, which would be enough for your shipment.

Do you see what I'm saying here? Your do it yourself options aren't that much different than what movers would charge you for keeping your hands clean and stress level from driving cross country at a manageable level.

wamover

Postby wamover » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 am

Thank you BigLeeCalif for all your hard work-They qouted me $4,000 to move 3,000 pds. I am looking to get rid of 1,000 pds.

BigLeeCalif wrote:You stated when you began that you had a little over 2,000 lbs. How did you come to that estimate, since you said your estimator saw 4,000 lbs.

MM is right. There probably won't be any wiggle room for negotiating, because this industry is barely profitable as is. It would be different if you were moving to California or Oregon. But you're moving from sea to shining sea. That's 3230 miles of gas guzzling. You were a little off on your fuel calculation. Based on the average fuel consumption of the average rental truck, your fuel cost at today's prices is going to be closer to $1720 for your drive from Seattle To Miami.

I also checked the Uhaul one way rates. for the smallest 10 ft box truck, your rate when fuel is factored in is $3000. That truck only holds about 427 cu ft, which is not enough for 4,000 lbs. The next size, the 14 ft box truck, would run about $3150 including fuel. It would hold almost 800 cu ft, which would be enough for your shipment.

Do you see what I'm saying here? Your do it yourself options aren't that much different than what movers would charge you for keeping your hands clean and stress level from driving cross country at a manageable level.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:30 am

One thing I failed to mention. Add food, hotels, etc., and that $1000 you save will be cut in half.

Return to “Open Community”