expedited move CA --> FL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movingfaraway

expedited move CA --> FL

Postby movingfaraway » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:11 am

Hi. Thank you for putting together such a great website and message board. I was wondering if anybody has recommendations for movers/agents for full service move (packing and loading) for small 1 bedroom (< 2000 pound) from Los Angeles area to north Florida in less than 7 calendar days? Any companies with a date guarantee or very reliable delivery date?
-I've talked with MoveBuilder who said they can do it in 5 working days but I'm reluctant to use them based on what I've read on these message boards. (Quoted about $4000)
-United said 6-15 day window, nothing they can do.
-Allied said minimum charge of $6000 for 6-7 days
-Priority Movers in San Diego (Wheaton) checked with their disbatch and said they could do it. They can't guarantee anything and they can't provide any storage in Florida if shipment is delayed (and I'm not there to receive it).
Any advice/recommendations would be much appreciated.

MusicMom

Re: expedited move CA --> FL

Postby MusicMom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:17 am

It looks like Priority is your best bet, and to be patient. If there's anything you cannot live without should there be a delay of a few days, mail to yourself in a box or take it with you.

Is there someone in FL you can deputize to receive your shipment just in case?

movingfaraway

Postby movingfaraway » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks for your response. No unfortunately there's no one in Florida to receive at that time. The time crunch was caused because I was scheduled to be out of the country, so if they deliver after I leave then there's no one to receive the shipment for a couple weeks.
Move Builder will guarantee in writing the delivery date but I'm a little nervous to use them because of reviews about their packing/load services unless things have changed with them over the past year. Any other companies you think I should look into? Thanks for your help.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:26 am

If you can live with just a bit longer delivery spread, the price from Allied should come down substantially. They can do your move under the Allied Express program and get you to Florida fairly close to your request of 6-7 days. The other major van lines also have programs for handling smaller moves that may work for you, as well. So you may want to contact United, Mayflowere, Atlas, or North American to see what they can do for you. At the moment, you are asking for premium service and, for that, you will pay the price. Since there are no guarantees regarding the delivery, it does not sound to me like Priority is giving you the service you requested.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Just so you know, MoveBuilder partners with ABF, which is a freight company that does household goods shipments in the back of trailers, then loads up freight that's going to the same general area as your new house. This is how they can guarantee a delivery date. ABF is a solid company and you would receive that date. However, it is important to note that as ABF is a freight company, their trailers are spring ride rather than air ride (which is what most HHG trailers use). Everything you bought at a store has ridden on a freight trailer to get there, but was carefully packaged to survive the rougher ride. When using a freight hauler, you need to be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that your goods are packed carefully and with plenty of padding to go so many miles without any damage. And, since you're packing the goods, there is no liability for any damaged caused by poor packing.

If the date is the most important thing, then go with MoveBuilder. But you should consider professional packers to make sure your stuff survives.

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Instead of using Move builders oontact some of the other companies you have talked to and see about loading services. You can also contact on on the other end for unloading services. If they can guarantee the days and you provide the labor this seems to be your best bet.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:37 pm

I would double check Priority. If they said they could do it, I would make sure they mean pack, load and haul. I do not believe they are a hauling agent, which means that the shipment would probably be tendered into the Wheaton hauling fleet.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Miami Sean

Postby Miami Sean » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:27 pm

movingfaraway wrote:Thanks for your response. No unfortunately there's no one in Florida to receive at that time. The time crunch was caused because I was scheduled to be out of the country, so if they deliver after I leave then there's no one to receive the shipment for a couple weeks.
Move Builder will guarantee in writing the delivery date but I'm a little nervous to use them because of reviews about their packing/load services unless things have changed with them over the past year. Any other companies you think I should look into? Thanks for your help.

Those jumped out at me...hey why not hire someone that can store these things until you are ready for delivery. Why stress out about this? Maybe you could broaden your search. Just my .02

movingfaraway

Postby movingfaraway » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:15 am

Thank you guys so much for your help and information

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Call Rainier and see what they can do. They might be able to accommodate...
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:36 am

Movinghelper wrote:Instead of using Move builders oontact some of the other companies you have talked to and see about loading services. You can also contact on on the other end for unloading services. If they can guarantee the days and you provide the labor this seems to be your best bet.

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to underline what Movinghelper has posted above. Booking with ABF U-Pack doesn't mean that you have to use its MoveBuilder service. You can book just the ReloCube container and hire your own loaders at origin (I think STS Movers, a company endorsed by this website, is a good option in California) and hire another small company at destination to unload the items from the ReloCube and move them to your residence. The Superlist linked to below my signature lists many such companies in various states. That way, you will know what people are actually doing the loading and unloading. In addition, the cube can be stored at one of ABF's terminals at a very reasonable cost until delivery is convenient for you.

For example, I know that both Shea and All Star in New York City, both of whom are endorsed by this website and have excellent reviews here and on Angie's List, often do loading and unloading of ReloCubes in the city and customers have been very satisfied with them.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:50 pm

ABF recently purchased the commercial side of Albert Moving out of Wichita Falls, TX. I think part of that package included movingstaffers.

I would think that ABF will be trying to strengthen that company to have a better nationwide labor pool.

Now that ABF has direct competition from DHE and Old Dominion, I wonder if they might be more flexible to negotiation, since there are other options for the consumer.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”