Packing and Loading Tips

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
rachinraleigh

Re: Packing and Loading Tips

Postby rachinraleigh » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 am

Hey!!

Don’t settle for previously used boxes and newspaper to protect years of memories/personal belongings. Resorting to penny-pinching on your packing supplies could definitely put you at risk for damaging your treasures. Do it the proper way and rest assured your things are properly stored and ready to transport, without fear of damage.

If you can factor it into your budget, have your moving company pack and move you. Most full service moving companies will even throw in some packing materials if they are conducting a full pack. Either way, make sure you at least garner your moving supplies from them. While you may not think you need markers and bubble wrap, etc., your breakables are better stored in bubble wrap then say.....newspaper!

Also, labeling boxes makes it more effiecient for you/your movers when unpacking comes around, because boxes labeled "kitchen" can go straight to the kitchen rather than into a heap in your living room. The time you'll save peeking into boxes to figure out what it is/where it goes will really add up in the end and likely make you frustrated with the whole process.

Good luck and happy moving! It is indeed a stressful time, but keep envisioning a fresh start and a new adventure and remember... when the going gets stressful.......SMILE! :)

Rachel

[signature removed by moderator: No self-advertising allowed on this website]

LoriofCA123

Postby LoriofCA123 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:03 pm

rydog444 wrote:And I think, "Why do people think they need so much stuff that they need to store it, it won't even fit in their house?" But that's just me :-)

Ah, the "stuff" argument, made famous by George Carlin. :lol:

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 pm

Rachel, I couldn't disagree with you more. Used cartons that are in good shape are almost as good as new. If someone is looking to cut expenses in moving, that is the FIRST place they can cut. It is far less risky to cut packing and carton expenses and hire a real mover to do the moving than to buy new boxes and paper then cut the expense of movers by hiring the cheapest or doing it themselves.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

movingpro01

Postby movingpro01 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:14 pm

LoriofCA123 wrote:
rydog444 wrote:And I think, "Why do people think they need so much stuff that they need to store it, it won't even fit in their house?" But that's just me :-)

Ah, the "stuff" argument, made famous by George Carlin. :lol:

May he rest in peace. Next we will see golf courses close to build shelters for the homeless.

AmandaJ

Postby AmandaJ » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:22 am

I just moved from the Toronto area to the UK. I packed my wine glasses in empty wooden mandarin orange crates. I wrapped each glass in newspaper then laid them head to toe in the box. I put a towel on top of them. I made sure to put something bigger than the box on top of them--the box on top rested on the four raised corners of the mandarin orange box. The glasses arrived safe and sound.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:08 pm

What you have to watch out for when using boxes that once held produce are bugs.

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:38 pm

rydog444 wrote:...If someone is looking to cut expenses in moving, that is the FIRST place they can cut. It is far less risky to cut packing and carton expenses and hire a real mover to do the moving than to buy new boxes and paper then cut the expense of movers by hiring the cheapest or doing it themselves.

With Home Depot selling new 3 cube cartons at something like a buck, how much is someone gonna save? :hmm:
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

cnoblit

Postby cnoblit » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:10 am

affleck625 wrote:The above tips are really helpful while you move. See more interesting packing tips at http://www.ImaDefacer.html

:roll: I'm curious as to how it feels to be a human being who's makes money by polluting the web and depositing spam on websites which try to help people. And you do this evil for money. You've sold your soul affleck625 but there is still time for you to contribute to society instead of polluting and defacing it. Fortunately Tim has instituted rel attribute nofollow links but we'll be certain to remember the company you have promoted here at everyone's expense qand we'll be certain to remember that your contribution was defacing this website.
Christopher Noblit
Professional Mover

PandorasBox

Postby PandorasBox » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:02 pm

For books and magazines....beer boxes are terrific. The 18 pack bottle sizes especially. Not too heavy.....

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 pm

No matter what type of boxes you think might be ok to pack, unless you plan to pack and load and haul your own shipment, any carton other than moving strength cartons is playing russian roulette. Remember that boxes are used in tiers in the moving van, and if your home depot box is not at a strenth testing for stacking, you can expect to see it arrive half size. Every day of the week I see shipments come into storage, and half the cartons are crushed, because they are cartons used for various things you would find at a mall or hardware store. if you put the box together and you can put pressure on it, and it starts to give or bow, it is not the carton to use.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Ronymikal

Re: Box Packing Tips

Postby Ronymikal » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:49 am

bakewell wrote:I have found it most useful to tape the boxes very well on the bottom and set them one inside the other ready for me to grab when I have a little time to pack.

The recommendation to crumple newsprint to use as "bumpers" and create a cushion in the bottom of the boxes has been a good one. I have been using collected newspapers for this step, as most of the items I am placing in the box are covered/wrapped in the inkless newsprint recommended here.

The most frustrating thing has been that when I have gotten a box nearly completely packed, it is only then that I discovered that one or two of the grouped/like items will not fit in that box. :? Another frustration was when I selected a box that was slightly too large for all the items--and I had no additional like items to fill the last 7 or 8 inches. It took about three times of my filling the latter with wads of newsprint for me to discover that it was wise to keep a stack of towels or out-of-season clothing handy to fill that void. I also used throw pillows in the top of some boxes of fragile items.

The thing that has worked out well is that I made some labels for the boxes. I thought about buying them, but since I have a color printer, it worked out well for me to make them and print them myself. I used labels that are about 1-1/3x4, and made several pages with Den, Kitchen, Bedroom 1, Storage etc. as well as labels to identify the items in the boxes such as: books, pots & pans, linens, clothing, office supplies, decoratives & fragile. I can print more anytime I need them. I also am numbering the boxes and am writing the box size & contents as part of my list. This will help me when it comes time to unpack.

Since the truck that will move me will also hold other people's items, my biggest concern was that some of my boxes could accidentally be left at the wrong house. For some peace of mind, I printed on much larger labels my last name and the town and state that I am moving to. On each box that I pack, I applied that large label on four sides (not the top or bottom). It may not be necessary, as the mover will use a different color of tags for my boxes/items than the other families' items, but it makes me feel better.

Packing is most important & time consuming task while moving. If you packed large amount of items in a single box so it may damages your precious things. If you have filed every bit of volume of the box, then you cannot possibly fit anything else in it. So, pack every box with ease & in well manner.

juliancdranga20

Postby juliancdranga20 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:26 am

Thank you for giving the proper way to packing and loading boxes. if you want any helpers for moving then please contact *****************

Moving Company information removed. No self promotion allowed on the forums.

NickF1

Postby NickF1 » Fri May 16, 2014 8:07 am

Hello Members,

I am newbie here. I want to know about the selection of the right moving company. As this is May month, many people are moving in this month and many companies introduce a variety of offers. Among the different offers how to select the right moving company and how to avoid the hidden charges in the movement.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Hey, "Nick", why don't you just go ahead and post your spam from India so we can remove it? Let's save time here.

Lauren H. 76

Postby Lauren H. 76 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:42 pm

Very useful thread, thanks for the advise and tid bits everyone!

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”