NY Shipping?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Meisie

NY Shipping?

Postby Meisie » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:09 pm

We are trying to plan a move to South Africa sometime before the end of the year and have received a quote from NY Shipping. Does anyone know them?

Help...

MusicMom

Re: NY Shipping?

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:55 pm

As for NY International Shipping, their name is not on the list of licensed Freight Forwarders on the Federal Maritime Commission's list. Another thing that bothers me is they incorporated twice, once under INC and once under LLC, and two years apart. In our experience here, having multiple names either means hiding assets, or throwing off complaints by saying "it was the other guy".

They do, however, have a regular broker's license, with the MC number of 466514. What this means is that you would hire one NYIS. They would hire a licensed freight forwarder, who would then hire a shipper. The shipper would ahve a crew load up your goods in a container and ship it. At the other end, another comapny would unload the container and deliver it to your new house. There may be one or two steps removed from this process depending on the abilities of each comapny involved, but that's a LOT of places for things to go wrong and miscommunictions to happen. Your best bet would to go with one of the companies that can pick up, ship, and deliver all bu themselves. Barring this, a licensed freight forwarder would be the next best thing (there are a few listed in the Sticky at the top of this forum, all have had good reviews), but there is no reason to hire a broker that is not even involved in an international licensing agency.

Guru

Postby Guru » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:45 am

NY shipping are a very good company, your will find them efficient and good people to work with. Some of the better NY movers in my view.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:29 pm

Really? And what experience do you have with them? Does your company EuroGroup do business with them often in shipping from NYC to London?

im movin'

Postby im movin' » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:24 am

I to would like to hear some input about them. I have spoken with them a few times in the past months or so (along w/ a few other company's named on this board) and so far they have seemed to be very upfront & honest. I even popped into there showroom in NYC once, i leave no stone unturned! My move from NY to Melbourne, Australia has been pushed back due to work delays, which gives me more time to do research on all the company's. I do appreciate the feedback Musicmom, and will think about that when i do finally decide. It couldn't come soon enought for me. :? But this websight is called Moving"SCAM"!!! Has anyone been scamed by them. Broker or not i just want to know if they can be trusted. So far i haven't heard any negative news about them. And trust me i am looking. That is really the only issue i want to know. I will let you all know what i hear & who i decide on in the near future. Thanks all, good websight. Keep fighting the good fight...

Noone

Postby Noone » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:56 am

Well, the first question would be this:
What is the full name of the company?
Also, an address, and any license numbers would be helpful.
No sense in us looking for info on NY International Shipping if, in fact, you're using a different company called NY Shipping.
Help us help you, and tell us as much info about this company as you know, and we can get back to you.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:51 am

You MUST ask NY Shipping for their FMC License it's called an OTI Number.

Then check with the FMC to verify that the license is for their company and it is valid.

If they do not have a FMC License then do not use them as they would be acting illegally if offer to ship internationaly. No matter what klind of great price and woderful customer service they offer if they do not have an OTI License it is illegal for them to offer international shipping via ocean freight period.

If you need assitance in checking out thier license just post their OTI License number and someone here will check for you.

Return to “International Moves”