US Customs - import requirements - fumigation?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
pokepoke

US Customs - import requirements - fumigation?

Postby pokepoke » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:28 am

Hi,

These forums were tremendously helpful as I was trying to choose a mover a few months back. Most of the recommendations here were too expensive for me (I was moving about 5 cbm of stuff back to the US, so very small-time), but I found one that I felt pretty good about, called passport.

When we got our stuff to the warehouse this week, however, they tacked on a charge for (what they said was a necessary) fumigation of our palettes. When I pressed them on the necessity question, they made a phone call, and said that it was US law, which I presume means customs. I've never heard of any such thing, and none of my web searching has managed to turn up an explanation.

Are they making this up? And is it worth arguing with them about it if they are? Or should I just swallow the upcharge and let them move our stuff? (They are members of hgfaa and such, so meant to be in good standing, but we've returned to the US and don't feel up for a fight.)

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

hardatwork

Re: US Customs - import requirements - fumigation?

Postby hardatwork » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:15 pm

Where are you moving from and to as this will make a difference in if it a legit charge or not.

Who are they paying to have it fumigated, they should offer you a receipt showing what they paid to have the fumigation done.

Normally you only need to use eith plastic pallets or "heat treated" pallets which are now very common for international shipping.

pokepoke

Postby pokepoke » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:36 am

Thanks for the reply.

Moving from Paris, France, to NY, NY.

They're saying that the actual maritime shipper is going to do it. I don't know if it's possible to get proof, but in any case at that point it would be too late, since we'd have already paid.

I know about the need for treated wood, that seems well enough documented on the internet.

It's the fumigating I can't find anything about.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:02 pm

You should require your shipper to provide you with a copy of the receipt showing they paid the shipping lines to have the container fumigated. They should also provide you with how they calculated the breakdown on your shipment.

US Customs normally does not require fumigation for release of cargo. This would be handled by the USAD, check thier website a www.usad.gov.

It is very unlikely that a container from France to NY woould be hit with a fumigation charge by the shipping company.

If there was one then the shipper you paid MUST by law provide to you an offical receipt from the shipping lines showing what your mover paid you. The reciept must be from the shipping lines directly not just a invoice from your mover saying they paid it for you.

Personally I smell a rate, I could be wrong, but it sounds like a move by the mover or their agent to collect extra money from you. I would think it it in your intrest to get a copy of the actual invoice from the shipping lines before there are even more extra costs coming up.

I know a lot of agent in US that tell clients there ship went through a customs examine and collect lots of extra fees when there was no examine ever doen or it was a simple X Ray exam.

If you want to wait until you have completed your move and have your stuff in your home and then get the receipts then that is up to you.

The FMC in the US takes a very hard line against shippers you try to take advantage of ocean freight shippers in the US. You can always file a complaint with the FMC is the mover refuses to offer a copy of the inovice they paid. The FMC CAN make them pay your money back and fine the company also.

Do not let them take you for anything extra

pokepoke

Postby pokepoke » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:41 pm

OK, I've shifted it so that I'll be dealing with the shipper directly, paying this charge on arrival over here.

The standard they're citing to justify the charge is ISPM-15, which does require "phytosanitary" treatment of wooden packing material, but I'm still not convinced. My movers, by the way, are not scamming me, as far as I can tell--they readily accepted the change in charging, so it's not their doing at least.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to “International Moves”