california to hawaii

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
salliezoo

california to hawaii

Postby salliezoo » Wed May 04, 2005 12:43 pm

Hi there! Yes I know Hawaii is a state, but they do consider it an international move as its over water. I have contacted Sterlinginternational re recommendations on this site, but could use some advice on others. Anyone familiar with Beltmann Group located in City of Industry CA? They are an agent for North American Van Lines. RIM certified and have an AA rating from BBB. Also interviewed Movers PAK-MAN Inc. main office located in Dublin CA. They have a satisfactory rating from BBB however the movers at the other end in Hawaii (Hawaii Express Moving Services Maui) does not. That concerns me. Would appreciate any other suggestions or experiences for movers to Hawaii.
Thanks, Sallie
PS. Tim I am having a lot of problems getting onto your website lately...gremlins? Two days ago I signed up for membership and used the email link to activate. Today I tried to sign in and it said I wasn't a member. I had also written a previous post and it never got posted. So I went back and re-activated and got signed in and this is a repeat post. Am I doing something wrong?

Nancy

Re: california to hawaii

Postby Nancy » Wed May 04, 2005 12:53 pm

You mentioned one agent in the L.A. area, and the other in the Bay area. Which one do you live near? I'd suggest only going with firms that can come to your home and give you a visual estimate.

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 1:45 pm

Nancy-Movers Pak-Man also has an agent in southern CA and he did come out for an in-home estimate. I got that company name from a website in Kona that caters to people moving or recently moved to the island. My concern is that Pak-Man advertises on that site and who knows if maybe they are writing their own recommendations. Not to mention of course the negative rating for the movers on the Hawaii end.

Beltmann came out for an in-home estimate, but he hasn't given me a written estimate yet and its been almost a week. Does that seem excessive to you? I will call him today to follow up.

Thanks for the advice, Sallie

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 04, 2005 2:08 pm

Sallie, it does take a few days to get an estimate together, a week doesn't sound horrible to me. But it should be a week, at the most! It is different from a domestic move in that we do not have a specific, predetermined tariff. The salesman would do the walk through, then return to his office to get the quote.

I'd call him and tell him to get that quote done. I'd also consider calling Gateways for them to send someone out for a 3rd quote. Any idea about what weight you have?

Return to “International Moves”