Milwaukee -> Switzerland

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Squirl

Milwaukee -> Switzerland

Postby Squirl » Tue May 15, 2018 3:44 pm

Hey Guys,

I have done a little browsing through here and really haven't found much on the whole Milwaukee to Switzerland front.

I am basically moving out of my college apartment in Milwaukee WI back home to my parents place in Saint-Legier Switzerland. Coming to the states I didn't have much stuff, now I do, clothing, computers and other miscellaneous paraphernalia. I am NOT taking any furniture (no chairs, desks, bookshelves, mattress, bed frame etc.) back with me, only the essentials.

I am a Swiss citizen so Visa is not an issue for me, I am NOT bringing perishables like food, plants, animal food (or an animal for that fact) etc, only medicine and a few olive oils etc.

I should not need a transfer of domicile as my parents house is listed as main permanent address and a college flat is a temporary residence.

I am curious what the optimum service for me moving there would be, I have tooled around and got quotes from a few companies, none of which are on your endorsed movers lists. (upakweship, Aires and Sirva) All hover near the 1800~ USD mark.

I do not mind packing boxes myself, if anything i prefer to do this, any help is welcomed cause I really do have no idea what I am doing (never moved internationally on my own before). >.<

Jeff.Walker

Re: Milwaukee -> Switzerland

Postby Jeff.Walker » Sun May 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi Squirrel,
Sorry for the delayed response, I'm working a couple of jobs and get back to approve posts when I can.

Do you have any idea how much in weight you have? This might help our volunteers help you determine what method would work best.

Noone

Postby Noone » Mon May 21, 2018 4:17 pm

Sirva is fine . check the quote, especially the not included section, to make sure it includes the Port Fees and THC at Destination. Sirva is the parent company of two of the major Van Lines in the US.

Aires is also fine - same as above regarding what to check on the quote.

If you need help checking the quotes, either copy and paste them here or send them to my by PM.

Squirl

Postby Squirl » Tue May 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Hey Guys, thank you for the words, its been a hot minute since I posted this so a few things have happened:

I have mainly been talking to Rainier Overseas Movers and Interconex, Sirva hasn't responded yet so I am just going to ignore them for the time being.

And this is where things stand:

---------------------------------------

QUOTE FROM RAINIER:

Subject: Shipment of household goods from Milwaukee, WI to Saint-Legier, Switzerland

Dear Squirl,

Thank you very much for giving Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc. the opportunity to bid on your upcoming move to Switzerland. We know you will be pleased with our professional service.

**We may need to have an in-home survey done to verify the estimated volume, but based on your reply, here is what I have figured so far. **

Estimated Crated Volume: 100Cf.

Door to Door: $26.70/Cf. or $2,670.00 based on 100Cf.

Household goods shipped via our IN-HOUSE CONSOLIDATON SERVICE. This is a "slow boat" option where we build up freight to fill a 40' container and ship once we have enough. Then we transport to a point at destination for deconsoling and trucking to residence (which adds to the transit time). This is a great option if you want a good rate and have NO MAJOR TIME CONSTRAINTS. If a direct service option was not quoted to you and you would like to see that alternative please request to your Rainier sales agent.

We suggest you purchase door to door all risk marine insurance while goods are in transit. Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc. will not assume any responsibility for uninsured or under insured shipments.

You can either arrange your own insurance or arrange it through Rainier Overseas at a rate of $30.00 per $1000.00 value. ($250 deductible)

The prices above include the following:
*Pre-packing residence (Professional packing - including all labor and materials & export wrapping furniture)
*Professional loading packed goods into a wood lift-van(s)/crates and then into a steamship container
*Delivery to port of exit
*Preparation of all necessary US Export and Customs documentation
*Payment of all ocean freight charges (steamship), all fuel surcharges and US terminal fees
*Customs Clearance at destination - Including Terminal Handling Charges (THC) (excluding duties and taxes, if any)
*Delivery into residence (ground floor delivery), setup basic furniture, place boxes in desired rooms and removal of debris (day of delivery)

PRICE EXCLUDES: Import customs taxes and duties if any, any charges relating to customs inspection, quarantine & fumigation charges (Australia only), port strike/congestion, Natural Disasters, Acts of War, etc.

PRICE EXCLUDES UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED AS EXTRA SERVICES:

Difficult access, shuttle, long carry, parking permit, destination services above ground floor, external elevator, heavy lift charges (e.g. piano), new furniture or kit type furniture assembly, any third party fees, charges incurred by storage, insurance.

Prices are valid for 30 days. If you would like the prices to be held for 30 - 120 days, you must send Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc. a deposit of 250.00 within 14 days of receiving this quotation. The deposit is refundable and will be applied to the total cost of your move.

Our Nationwide toll-free phone number is 1-800-426-9928. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

---------------------------------------------

Quote From Interconex:

https://gyazo.com/f29a8ce1eaa5b38f1df9dd17f21ecb4c

( I can not copy from the PDF so here is a screen shot)

But Basically its 3249$ for air shipment.

So with Valuation around 14'000, for Rainier, 30$ per 1'000 to insure, gives a grand total of 3090. Interconnex is 2.5% of total valuation so grand total there is 3599.

I plan on shipping the 31st of May, then Flying to Switzerland the 4th of June. The only issue being I am gone from Switzerland the 7th-28th of July due to a business trip and no one will be at my home to let stuff in.

On one hand this makes Air more attractive, but more expensive, but how do holding rules work? Would Rainier be able to hold the shipment at all? They said 50-60 day minimum for sea, meaning 20th of July, thus a Maximum period of 8 days to be held.

Any help would be appreciated thank you guys, I've dried to get as much info in here as I could.

Best,

Miles

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu May 24, 2018 4:47 pm

My comments:

1 - Air Shipments are always charged on actual chargeable weight (whichever is higher - the actual weight or the volumetric formula of 1 cubic meter is at least 166 Kilo). This quote doesn't show what the per kilo price is if it changes.

2 - Most Air Shipments have little or no free time. Check With Interconex if you think it will be needed and at how much.

Also Check with Rainier about how it works (logistically) with them, but usually on delivery it gets loaded onto a big truck which makes it's run and generally it doesn't get dropped off at a local warehouse for delivery (so any storage would need to be considered somewhere else).

Both companies are fine for this move and both quotes include everything they should.

Squirl

Postby Squirl » Mon May 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Hey Noone,

First thank you for all of your help, I have decided to go with Interconex with this move, as I contacted them with the whole weight versus volume pricing, and they stated that I am paying for the container. Which put in other words I can fill up as much as I want of the 94.5 cubic feet with with no more than 650 pounds of items inside to stay at the quoted price.

So, we will see how it goes, I will report back when all is said and done, so far the Lady I have been dealing with (Her name is Laura Dahl) has been extremely helpful and very responsive.

Thanks for all the help (hope this helps someone else too).

Cheers,

Noone

Postby Noone » Tue May 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Please come back and let us know how it goes.

Return to “International Moves”