Need trusted mover ASAP for Los Angeles to Malmö relo

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
LAtoMS

Need trusted mover ASAP for Los Angeles to Malmö relo

Postby LAtoMS » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:36 am

I've been Googling and reading online reviews on Yelp and elsewhere for the past 2 days. My head is spinning and pounding with migraine fury, and I'm still no closer to finding a mover that I feel safe and secure about trusting with my stuff.

Due to an unforeseen delay in obtaining visas, coupled with the company that hired me setting a start date and scheduling our departure flight a bit too optimistically, we (my fiancée and I) need to find a good international mover very quickly, as we need to move out between April 30 to May 2.

We've sold off almost all furniture and large items, and will be donating or giving away the rest soon. So mainly, we're looking at a lot of boxes of household items and personal effects. But do audio/music professionally, so I also have a decent amount of studio gear/instruments.

In total, I estimate we're looking at maybe 400-500 sq ft of packed belongings, with a replacement value between $30,000-$50,000 (most of that being for my gear, and our TV).

If anyone has had a positive experience with a company that has provided insured door-to-door service from SoCal to Malmö (or any other city in Sweden, really), please let me know who you used, and who (if anyone) they subcontracted for the origin and/or destination move.

Ideally, I'm hoping to find a shipper that also provides info and assistance with customs to ensure the gear that I've owned for years doesn't get hit with duty/tax coming into Sweden, and that our shipment doesn't get stuck in customs unnecessarily for several days or weeks due to something that got overlooked by the shipping company.

Thank you for any help anyone can offer!
Mike

Jeff.Walker

Re: Need trusted mover ASAP for Los Angeles to Malmö relo

Postby Jeff.Walker » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:52 am

Hi LAtoMS,
The first thing I would recommend to relieve some of your stress would be to read our article: A Guide to International Shipping that can help you decide what you need to do and what to expect from an international move.

Second, scroll down and find "International Moving Companies" on the left hand side of the site. Just about any one of these companies should be able to help you with your move, and they have been vetted to make sure they are safe for you to use.

Lastly, I would hold on for some advice from "Noone", who is our resident expert on international moving. He can help guide you through your move.

Let me know if I can personally help you with anything else.

- Jeff

LAtoMS

Postby LAtoMS » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:55 am

Hi LAtoMS,
The first thing I would recommend to relieve some of your stress would be to read our article: A Guide to International Shipping that can help you decide what you need to do and what to expect from an international move.

Second, scroll down and find "International Moving Companies" on the left hand side of the site. Just about any one of these companies should be able to help you with your move, and they have been vetted to make sure they are safe for you to use.

Lastly, I would hold on for some advice from "Noone", who is our resident expert on international moving. He can help guide you through your move.

Let me know if I can personally help you with anything else.

- Jeff
Thank you, Jeff! Yes, I have read the Guide to International Shipping, and I have asked both Suddath and Rainier for a quote/survey. But so far, the replies I received to things I learned I should ask potential movers about from a few days of researching international relocation data on the web (including via this site) were either a bit underwhelming, or nonexistent (i.e. the rep didn't respond to at least some of my questions, or the response was vague enough to leave me wondering what to make of it). So that hasn't given me much faith in their services. I was expecting to have a survey with Suddath today, and never did.

After following up with an email to George Camacho (Suddath) at 2:40PM today, around 6PM, I still hadn't received a reply, so I called him. He's going to do a 'FaceTime' survey with me tomorrow morning. I'm not sure how I feel about that either. I was previously informed someone else would be contacting me today to do an in-person survey, or possibly a remote one via Skype/FaceTime, but I never heard from them. And considering some of the responses I got to my inquiries were a bit vague, and that they require payment up front IN FULL (from what he told me), it seems like pretty risky business going with them.

In any case, I was hoping to hear some personal accounts of a move to Malmö, or to Sweden in general, from some users here to see what worked best for them. So far, no luck though, probably since it took a couple days for my post to get authorized (likely due to the weekend). I have a few colleagues in Malmö now who moved from the US via different companies, and none of them had a very positive story to tell about the way things went down with the subcontractor delivering their shipment in Malmö.

The only positive experience I've have had so far is with Crown WMS (Worldwide Moving and Storage). They sent an agent here today to do a survey (just one business day after I contacted them). Their VP of International (Tina Borba) replied to my email personally, and answered all of my inquiries thoroughly and satisfactorily. So at this point, they seem like the safest bet. I also know that they work with Alfa on the Swedish side to deliver the container and unload it, and they are the ONLY FIDI-FAIM mover listed for all of Sweden. From the info I gathered from Suddath, it didn't sound like they use Alfa there. And I'm not sure who their Swedish affiliate is, how reliable they are, or what kind of quality to expect from them.

In any case, I'm hoping to have at least one or two more surveys tomorrow from others I've contacted for comparison. But so far, it's looking like Crown is the frontrunner. Despite them not being on your vetted international movers list, they are one of only two FIDI-FIAM movers listed for Los Angeles (the other being Schumacher, who I didn't get a very good response or vibe from). Crown WMS is also OMNI, LACMA, IAM, C-TPAT, and ISO 9001 Certified. Maybe someone here could tell me why they aren't vetted on this site, or something about them that might make me think twice about using them?

I do hope to hear from Noone soon. It sounds like he may have some helpful info/insight.

Thanks again!
Mike

Noone

Postby Noone » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:26 pm

You are looking for a pick-up on 2 weeks notice during the busiest selling time of the year.

The reason I haven't answered sooner is that today I caught up to requests I got up until yesterday. Today's requests will wait until tomorrow.

You like crown, you like who they are partnered with, and they (I assume) quoted including everything which should be (as noted in the article Tim suggested).

Close the deal with Crown - you need pick-up ASAP.

LAtoMS

Postby LAtoMS » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:08 pm

You are looking for a pick-up on 2 weeks notice during the busiest selling time of the year.

The reason I haven't answered sooner is that today I caught up to requests I got up until yesterday. Today's requests will wait until tomorrow.

You like crown, you like who they are partnered with, and they (I assume) quoted including everything which should be (as noted in the article Tim suggested).

Close the deal with Crown - you need pick-up ASAP.
No worries about not answering sooner. I was pretty sure my post was just awaiting approval because I submitted it on a weekend.

Thank you for your feedback! I have some quotes to review from other companies based on the data collected by Crown WMS in their survey. Crown's pricing seems a bit higher than some others who didn't do a survey, but simply quoted based on volume. So I'm going to check the quotes for other vetted vendors tomorrow. Based on that and their availability in the timeframe of the move, I should be able to make a fairly well informed decision.

Thanks again for your help, and for the other valuable resources and info provided on this site!

Mike

Noone

Postby Noone » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:21 am

Much success with your move. Please come back and let us know who you used and how it went.

Return to “International Moves”