Help with moving from UK to Italy

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Frusta

Help with moving from UK to Italy

Postby Frusta » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Hello, I am trying to find the right service and I am confused.

I am moving around 20 boxes of mixed stuff and I am aware the restricted items (tv screen, pc monitor, vases, ceramics etc.) can be damaged during a relocation.
What I really don't get is:
'If they are lost or damaged in transit you will be unable to make a claim for compensation'
I spoken with several services today and apparently they can just take my pc monitor for themselves and say 'it's been lost' and there is now way I can make a claim.

Can someone suggest me what's the best way to move? Is there a way to insure privately my items or any recommendation on some courier?

Many Thanks

Jeff.Walker

Re: Help with moving from UK to Italy

Postby Jeff.Walker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi Frusta,
I've never heard of this before, and would recommend you PM "noone" (no quotes) and ask him this same question. This doesn't sound likely, or we'd have heard of this scam before. I would be nervous about using any company who had that in their contract.

If you haven't already, I would also recommend you read our article A Guide to International Shipping which has some excellent information on moving abroad.

Let us know if you have any further questions or if you have trouble reaching noone.

Noone

Re: Help with moving from UK to Italy

Postby Noone » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:42 am

Frusta,

Based on what you wrote, it sounds like you are planning on packing everything. If this is the case, no insurance company will cover damage inside of a box (so if you pack the monitor and it breaks, you wouldn't get anything).

Some insurance companies will allow you to insure a pre-packed box for loss in transit, but not all.

Most insurance companies will only insure owner packed goods for total loss - meaning if you get any part of the shipment, you can not make a claim, but if something happens that you don't get any of the shipment (truck rolls, for example) you would be able to make a claim.

Lastly even if there is any coverage for the monitor, all insurance companies will decline a claim if you get the monitor in good condition on the outside but doesn't work. This is called "Mechanical Derangement" and is almost always excluded. Again, some insurance companies give the option to insure for Mechanical Derangement, but only if the box is professionally packed.

Obviously, this involves hiring a company you can trust. No legitimate moving company is going to risk losing a good name to get a used TV, and screen workers and procedures to very high standards. This isn't the case with the cheapest quote you get on the internet.

Return to “International Moves”