Insurance - is it too late

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Jewel13

Insurance - is it too late

Postby Jewel13 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 pm

Sooo I blew it with insurance. I am moving from the States to Amsterdam and let's just say life is complete chaos. My stuff was packed and loaded late October and I believe based on emails put on a boat November 4. I received an email last week from a moving company based out of Rotterdam asking me for documentation of my living status here. I also received an email from the international moving company stated all my paperwork was in order for export and import and requesting if I wanted to add insurance. My question to the forum because I am skeptical of all moving companies - isn't too late for insurance at this stage. I thought if the packing date had passed that was it. This whole process has been so expensive as it is. It's not about paying for the insurance as I know it is important. It's about paying $700 for insurance that will not valid because I didn't purchase before my belongings were packed. Input appreciated.

Jeff.Walker

Re: Insurance - is it too late

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 pm

I'm hoping one of the international movers chimes in, as I'm not the expert in this area, but it's my understanding as well that "insurance" or valuation protection must be purchased at the time the contract (or Bill of Lading) was signed. Did they tell you what this insurance would cover since your items are already in port?

Noone

Re: Insurance - is it too late

Postby Noone » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Most Marine Insurance companies will accept the application at any point in transit, unless something happens during transit (like the ship sinks and your claim is filed the same day).
Since All Risk insurance covers damages anywhere along the process, the vast majority of claims are only filed after delivery. There are some companies that require some type of proof of intent to insure before pick-up, but it's pretty rare.

Send the shipping company the application, and ask for confirmation from the insurance company that the late application won't be an issue in the event of a claim. Once you have that confirmation, in writing, from the insurance company you can pay.

Lastly, read the terms of the insurance, which you should have. Usually it will say in there somewhere (in legalese, of course).

Return to “International Moves”