moving stuff in storage from UK to Italy

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Abigail

moving stuff in storage from UK to Italy

Postby Abigail » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:17 pm

I unfortunately found this website way too late.
I hired a "logistics" company most likely a broker, a consolidator to carry 15m3 of personal items from the UK to Italy. Garage to garage. They quoted a price that seemed reasonable based on a photo I posted on a website but as soon as the goods had been loaded and were in storage they doubled the price claiming it was a lot more stuff. They obviously failed to give me a new quote before they loaded and drove away.
As they didn't stop there and kept asking for more money I hired another more reputable carrier and fired the Logistics company. I advised the logistics company that my shipment would be collected by a different company at their storage unit. As soon as they were notified that I was canceling my contract with them they loaded the goods and were en route to Italy. They ignored all requests to keep the goods where they were, determined to do the job themselves as they would have collected half of the money based on the price they tried to extort from me.
Meanwhile I had to pay more money to book the other carrier. The logistics company has been advised that they would not receive any payments as they just ignored my contract cancelation and my instructions to leave the goods exactly where they were. The goods could have been collected in the UK or France by the new carrier but the Logistics company never provided an address so that the second carrier could collect. Meanwhile I found out that the logistics company is a Czech company and is not a member of any Freight Forwarders Associations or similar. My goods are out for delivery tomorrow. The crazy owner of the company I'm having to deal with says they will seize the goods if I don't pay pay the balance. What are my options? Should I seek legal advice? Luckily all interaction is in writing and well documented. Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. I will post the name of the company later. They are not to be touched with a barge pole.

Noone

Re: moving stuff in storage from UK to Italy

Postby Noone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:51 am

Abigail,

Your best bet at this point is to pay the fees and then try to recover monies after delivery.

You may want to speak with an Italian International Moving Company to see if they know what laws may be relevant - try contacting Harmony or AGS or Interdean (all of whom have Italian Partners) to see if any of them can make suggestions as to methods of recourse.

You would need to check your contract regarding cancellation after pick-up, as that is usually not an option given (even by legitimate companies), and even if it is, there are still expenses which would need to be paid to the company which did pick-up (Pick-up, packing or wrapping, warehouse handling and hand-out).

Best of success.

Abigail

Postby Abigail » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:37 pm

I appreciate your reply. I will try contacting one of these companies tomorrow. I have spoken to a European freight association in the Netherlands and they told me it is that time of the year. They try to fleece their customers as much as they can because people are on holiday or traveling and really need their stuff. By the way it was not a removal, personal items but storage unit to storage unit, ground floor and fully packed and ready to go. It started out as a non removal price with no fixed dates and I'm ending up paying through my nose. They were supposed to deliver today and they didn't. There should be an association out there that protects retail customers in these situations. Is there one? If so can someone please post a link? Also seeking inexpensive legal advice. Thank you.

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:23 pm

I had suggested you contact the Italian Companies specifically so they could suggest which Government body might be able to help, as I don't personally know.

If you want to PM me the name and website of the company you worked with, I may be able to see if they are part of some trade group which may (or may not) offer some type of recourse or dispute resolution process.

Return to “International Moves”