Should I be concerned?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
lwz2017

Should I be concerned?

Postby lwz2017 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:20 pm

We are planning an international move and have almost decided on a company with a decent quote. However I just read the fine print that the quote is subject to change based on the final volume and weight -- weight? I thought this whole time that since we are shipping with ocean freight, as long as our belongs can fit into a standard 20ft container, that's what we are paying for! This is the only quote, that I know of, based on an estimated weight.

So my question is this

1. Why is the ocean freight shipping quote concerned about weight? -- note we live on the east coast in the state where the port is, and the destination also has a port in about 20 miles distance, so this is not a "interstate" move in any sense.

2. How do I know that the sale person wasn't low-balling me by giving me a decent number and a (low) cap weight on it, while counting on getting us later when the container is weighted? -- I don't have any idea how much my stuff weighs at this moment. And I used an online weight calculator which seems to have some very unrealistic numbers (like a linen box = 40 lb, etc. which I assume must be a huge linen box??) and got a total weight number, which is above their estimate... Should I be concerned or should I "shave off" the 20lb extra on the linen box and other items as my reference?

3. How much is my risk? To me, if they can only tell me that i'm 2000 lb overweight, therefore another chunk of $$$$, after they already packed, and loaded all the stuff, I will have no way to back out of this!!!

Please give me some advice! Thank you!

JAHaddow

Re: Should I be concerned?

Postby JAHaddow » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:26 pm

It all depends on the company you are using. If you are having the mover pack and load the container the vast majority of them charged for the origin services on the net weight of the shipment. The same applies to many of the destination countries although many I deal with have a flat rate on delivery. It depends on the country. Things that normally don't vary by weight is the ocean transportation for full container loads. The other variable could be the container drayage of the container to your home. This will vary based on the company that pulls the container to your residence.

The thing to do is to negotiate if you can. Many of the old time movers have a mentality of how international moving is priced. For many years it as simply priced based on net weight of the shipment and they are keeping that mentality. They have not joined the real world where there are many options for international moving. An agent can flat rate packing and loading a container if they choose. It depends on the management. If the management cannot accept the realities of new pricing methods on international moving they will lose more jobs to companies that will be more competitive.

Shop around and negotiate.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:27 pm

It all depends on the company you are using. If you are having the mover pack and load the container the vast majority of them charged for the origin services on the net weight of the shipment. The same applies to many of the destination countries although many I deal with have a flat rate on delivery. It depends on the country. Things that normally don't vary by weight is the ocean transportation for full container loads. The other variable could be the container drayage of the container to your home. This will vary based on the company that pulls the container to your residence.

The thing to do is to negotiate if you can. Many of the old time movers have a mentality of how international moving is priced. For many years it as simply priced based on net weight of the shipment and they are keeping that mentality. They have not joined the real world where there are many options for international moving. An agent can flat rate packing and loading a container if they choose. It depends on the management. If the management cannot accept the realities of new pricing methods on international moving they will lose more jobs to companies that will be more competitive.

Shop around and negotiate.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:08 pm

What JA said is true - many moving companies in the US charge for packing and loading by weight, so yes, trucking, ocean freight, and most of the costs are the same but the charge for packing and loading can vary.

1 - Did they do an in home survey? If not, have them come do one, and review the survey sheet. If they can't or won't, find someone else.

2 - Did they list how the price would be adjusted based on the actual weight and/or volume? If not, ask them.

3 - Ask the salesman if you can get a flat rate, or a cap.

If you have 700 cubic feet, it may well be that the salesman is calculating the packing and loading for that (which would normally be considered 4900 LBS) and not for packing and loading the full container.

Return to “International Moves”