moving from UK (Birmingham) to NYC

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
ukacademic

moving from UK (Birmingham) to NYC

Postby ukacademic » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:08 am

Hello helpful forum members,
We're moving this summer from Birmingham (UK) to New York City and are struggling to locate positively-reviewed moving/removal companies. It's a household move of a 2-3 br house; when we moved here 5 years ago we used up about half of a 20 foot container. We do have some fragile objects such as musical instruments.

I scoured the reviews at http://www.removalreviews.co.uk but most of the companies that have multiple reviews have almost entirely very negative ones (including companies I know by name such as Pickford's and Britannia). Does anyone have any positive experiences to share, or are there reputable companies that are well known? I haven't seen any recent posts on this forum for moves from the UK to the US.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff.Walker

Re: moving from UK (Birmingham) to NYC

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:52 am

Any one of our international movers on the left should be able to help you. Give three of them a call and get estimates, or find out if they work with someone in your area.

Noone

Postby Noone » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:48 pm

Keep in mind that any large company (like Pickfords) is going to have bad reviews, especially on a website which is specifically meant for people to complain.
If you check out their reviews on trustpilot.com, you will see they have mostly good reviews.
Keep in mind, that this is a company which handles thousands of moves a year, and most people who have a good move don't post about it anywhere.
You might also want to get a quote from Abels:
http://www.abels.co.uk/
or, as Jeff mentioned, any of the US Based forwarders to the left can send their UK partner to do the survey.

prem evolve

Postby prem evolve » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:17 am

Hello
I am also moving to UK from India.tell me about living there.
suggest me budget places for living on rent.
best regards
prem evolve
Need best dissertation writing services by experts, contact us.

ukacademic

Postby ukacademic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks Jeff and noone, we've gone ahead and set up surveys with Southern Winds, Corrigan, and Rainier. I hadn't thought we could use a US-based forwarder if moving from the UK. We moved over here with Rainier and had overall a positive experience, so we'll see how the quotes come out.

jacksmith0121

Postby jacksmith0121 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:50 am

I wanted to study in the UK from India. Can someone suggest me?
How can I go to the UK and suggest me regarding the budget for rent and etc.? 8) :?:

Return to “International Moves”