Austin, TX to Stockholm, Sweden- air transport?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
toolshedinc

Austin, TX to Stockholm, Sweden- air transport?

Postby toolshedinc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi there! I'm moving from Austin, Texas to Stockholm Sweden. I was considering air transport of my goods. I've got about 12 boxes of varying dimensions, (the largest is 18 x 18 x 24, the smallest is 12 x 12 x 15). The total weight is roughly 400 pounds. I leave the country April 4th, and I am a bit lost on the process of shipping my items to myself... I can't seem to tell if my shipment is too small for an ocean shipment, or if it's too much for air, etc...

I don't have very much time to get it all sorted out, so I was curious if you lovely people had any suggestions for me? I think ultimately I would like to use air transport, as that is faster, but I'm not sure if the cost is going to be substantially higher compared to trying an ocean route. From my limited understanding of the situation, due to the smaller size of my shipment, would I be paying roughly the same no matter which route I chose?

Sorry to be so ignorant, I've done my best at reading and trying to understand previous forum answers here and looking over the guides posted... I just don't have a lot of time and I am stressed, it is a lot of information to take in! :( Thanks in advance for anyone with advice in this situation!

Big Dog

Re: Austin, TX to Stockholm, Sweden- air transport?

Postby Big Dog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Please contact any of the international moving companies suggested by the Forum & they will be able to help you out. 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

toolshedinc

Postby toolshedinc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have contacted Ranier from the list just to see what sort of response I would receive, and I wasn't satisfied with the numbers :( I am confused on what to do with my shipment. It seems to be too small for regular Ocean shipments, yet too big for Air?

It's about 55 cubic feet, 400 pounds. Should I continue to pursue air? I feel like I've called a million companies already lol, and none have been helpful at all... I'll keep trying the ones listed, thank you again.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:28 pm

What numbers were you quoted by Rainier? :whistling:
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

toolshedinc

Postby toolshedinc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:55 pm

2000, but it was informal and did not include "airport fees" (although he said it wouldn't be much). I emailed back to ask for a full ocean quote, because as of right now the communication has been very sporadic/hard to tell what I'm even being quoted for lol. I'll report back later with hopefully a more detailed numbers sheet, I appreciate you taking the time to reply :) my apologies if I seem stressed- I won't lie, it's because I am :lol:

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am

If you comparing costs you have to determine the services needed to complete the shipment. You first thing to consider is preparing the shipment for export by either air or ocean.
First Ocean: If you have packed your own cartons you will need to have an inventory of each carton and the contents in them for customs in Sweden to review. The more detailed the better although basic general listings is acceptable. You don't have to say 10 shirts, 4 pants, 6 pairs of socks. You can put mens clothes. If you have any electronics though it is recommended that you put the make model and serial number on the inventory. The same applies to air shipments. Ocean shipments need to be on a skid and securely banded. It must be labeled appropriately. Same applies for air shipments.
Now the costs structure. Both shipments need to be readied at the origin. You can use a professional move to come to your home and pick the shipment up Expect the mover to open and inspect the cartons so they can ensure that the inventory is completed properly. For air shipments the average cost for this is $60 to $70 per net 100 lbs. Ocean shipments are slightly lower sometimes but not on a shipment this size because most movers have a minimum charge for their services.
Next is trucking to the airport or the port of export for ocean for the origin agents dock. Expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $200 to truck to Houston Airport and $200 to $300 to an east coast port where the household goods consolidators ship from.
I currently don't know the air rate from Houston to Stockholm but will have that on Monday the 20th and will report that. I would estimate ocean and delivery to residence in Stockholm to be in the $1300 range depending on the forwarder you use.
The air shipment will most likely be higher but will be a lot faster so it may worth the extra cost as ocean shipment could take a few months or more depending on how fast the shipment is loaded at the port.
Do your research to make sure you choose a good company that is licensed.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:19 pm

I just got rates in Stockholm and the airport charges are about $450 and the delivery to residence runs about $500. So realistically the cost to ship by air is going to be over $3400 depending on the profit margins the forwarder you chose. Surface will be near $2000. Again, remember to get 3 quotes and make sure they are reputable forwarders.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

Noone

Postby Noone » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Sorry for the delayed response on this.

Regarding air shipping if you have 55 cubic feet, that will end up as two pallets of close to 70 cubic feet, and your Chargeable Weight by Air will be closer to 730 LBS.

If cost is an issue, send this by sea - weight/size won't be an issue based on what you wrote below, as it will be under 100 cubic feet, and that is the minimum most companies will charge for.

Return to “International Moves”