Need Help- US to Canada move

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Nuria

Need Help- US to Canada move

Postby Nuria » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello,
I live in the DC Area and am moving to Victoria, BC.
I have contacted various moving companies, but their reviews are not great.
Has anyone used a good company for a similar move to Canada from the US?
I'd really appreciate any help!
Nuria

Jeff.Walker

Re: Need Help- US to Canada move

Postby Jeff.Walker » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:21 am

Any of the companies on the left under the "International Moves" section can help you out. If you're not comfortable using one of the endorsed movers, one of the volunteers might give you specifics on companies you could use.

John Adams

Postby John Adams » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Search for a mover that has a destination agent affiliation so that you are covered at both ends. Canadian Customs may also be a good place to ask - 506-325-3164.
Do your homework then trust your instincts

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:23 am

There are several methods of shipping to Canada depending on the size of your move. One method for small shipments is to have a mover pack and load your goods into overseas shipping containers called liftvans and shipping them to your destination city. The second is to use one of the national carriers such as United, Atlas and North American who have regular cross border trucks. Their prices will vary depending on what trucks are going there. The third method is that there are independent cross border haulers based in Canada. One cost you will have going to Victoria is a ferry charge. When you get pricing make sure that is included in the cost. I do know that when liftvans are shipped, the LCL trucking companies include that cost in their rate. One important thing for you to do is to have your C3 form completed in duplicate so when you enter Canada you have the customs official stamp the second copy for you to have to clear customs when your shipment arrives into Canada. You will have to meet the mover at the closest customs house to clear your shipment. On the LCL method you can find an agent in Victoria to deliver your shipment. You have the LCL trucker take it to a customs bonded warehouse such as Canadian Freightways where you pay a fee for them to receive the shipment and then hand it out to the local mover to deliver. You can go yourself and clear the shipment with customs and provide that clearance document to the warehouse and have the local mover pick it up and deliver it to your home. A good local move I use in Victoria is Bekins Canada. Hope this helps.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

Davidsmith150

Postby Davidsmith150 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 am

Thank oyu @ JAHaddow

Return to “International Moves”