Confused about packing

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Gatteville

Confused about packing

Postby Gatteville » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:09 pm

I am preparing a very small move from MA to France, about 70 cf + 1 piece of furniture. I am going with Astro, that is, if they answer my emails (I understand it is busy season and I'm a small fish, but I am getting antsy here, wanting to be out within 4 to 6 weeks).

I have read a lot on this forum and in many cases of international moves people have mentioned packing their boxes themselves. However, in the Guidelines written by Michael, it is specifically said that you can no longer do that (safety rules, they say). It is also mentioned on the Humboldt website, but not over at Southern Winds. Astro never answered that question, either.

So I have packed most of everything anyway, because I couldn't figure out how I would sort things out visually, on the spot, for a busy surveyor on the clock. Also, I can now estimate my cubic footage (done and remaining), for which I had no clue before I started.

So what's next? Is someone coming to my home to survey? To unpack and re-pack?
Who's going to be interested in this nano shipment and am I likely to be charged for 100 cf or any first-level of standardized shipping contenant?

Thank you for your help

Noone

Re: Confused about packing

Postby Noone » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:14 pm

If you are within an hours drive of Boston, having an in home survey should not be a problem.

Where in MA are you moving from?

As for packing, while there is no law preventing you from packing your own goods, individual companies may have their own rules, and there will be insurance limitations of items you pack.

Gatteville

Postby Gatteville » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Thank you for answering.

So, there is no definite answer to whether I can pack myself or not, it seems. Yet it sounded certain in this article http://www.movingscam.com/articles/plan ... ional-move

Packing:

Packing for an overseas move is very different from that of a move within the United States. Everything must be wrapped and arranged inside large waterproof plywood, metal or fiberglass boxes called lift vans or loaded directly into ship containers (20 ft and 40 ft). You should NOT pack your own goods. Due to recent terrorist threats, self-packing is not allowed. The Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 dictates what can and cannot be done on international moves. Professional movers use specially designed cartons that are heavy enough for fragile items. All items not boxed are and should be wrapped in a thick corrugated brown paper. Everything is then fitted into the container. Most movers will pack and load the containers at residence.

Maybe an update would avoid confusion in the future.

I am indeed about 1 hour south from Boston, on Cape Cod. I wanted to go with Astro since they're local, small and sounded personable from what I read on this forum. I first filled their quote form online with a rough estimate of what I had to move (at the time I underestimated the total of boxes to about 12, + 1 secretary/bureau). Peter answered within a week with a very detailed estimate, for the bureau alone, omitting the boxes. I emailed back twice with questions but never had an answer since.

I have since packed, gotten a better idea of my estimated total volume and number of boxes, and asked from more quotes from Humboldt (Jennifer is working on it), Southern Winds (no reply yet) and Rainier (Doug is working on it). Doug sent me pictures of the lift vans they use and it looks like everything will fit in easily.

Sorry if I sound like I'm drowning in a glass of water. It is my first move ever and I have to learn everything.
Thank you for your help!

Gatteville

Postby Gatteville » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:58 am

Update: I got a call from Peter shortly after posting this. It seems there was a glitch in my server or something because he never actually got my emails. Communication has been great since we resolved that.
I got quotes from Humboldt and Rainier and while both Jen and Doug were very nice and responsive, I decided to go with Astro, for the reasons mentioned above but also because the fact that they use palettes allows to charge only for the exact volume I'm shipping, instead of a flat rate-like for a lift van. I realize my stuff might be more exposed but I'm willing to take the risk for that price.
Thanks to the person who notified Peter about this post.
I will report back after the move.

Noone

Postby Noone » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Please come back when all is done and let us know how it went.

Return to “International Moves”