UK to USA much pricier than USA to UK?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
robo

UK to USA much pricier than USA to UK?

Postby robo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:03 am

Does anyone know if it's normal for it to cost a lot more to move from the UK to the USA rather than the other way around?

I moved from the USA to the UK last year, using Rainier (who contracted to FlatRate and Abel's in the US and UK, respectively), and it all went quite smoothly. We're now moving back to the US for my wife's work, and Rainier is now quoting a price that's a lot more (~60% more per cubic foot), and giving a minimum of 200 cf when our move will probably be closer to 140-150 (judging by our last move).

Does anyone know if it's normal for it to cost a lot more the other direction (many things cost more in the UK...), or should I look elsewhere?

Any recommendations from the UK?

Thanks

Noone

Re: UK to USA much pricier than USA to UK?

Postby Noone » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Yes.

Origin work is generally more expensive than destination work, and in the UK, what would run one dollar will run 1 pound.

Likewise, there aren't many UK companies that will go under 200 cubic feet for a minimum.

Lastly, a year has gone by, and price do go up (even if only a little).

robo

Postby robo » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks - I guess that makes sense. I was partly concerned because the person at Rainier himself seemed to think the price was really high.

My wife's work will in theory be reimbursing us for the move, so in some ways it should be OK, but of course we will be out of pocket for a while, and then depending on the way taxes work may end up being taxed on the reimbursement as income...

Noone

Postby Noone » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:03 am

You could also get prices from AGS:
http://www.agsmovers.com/

Or Team Allied:
http://www.teamalliedgroup.com/

Both are large and well respected. Since Abels is UTS Unigroup, that would be 3 quotes from 3 major players.

Return to “International Moves”