Global Trading Resources (Portland, OR)

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
pilgrimscribe

Global Trading Resources (Portland, OR)

Postby pilgrimscribe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Has anyone had experience with Global Trading Resources in Portland (http://www.gtri.net)? I am shipping an LCL-sized shipment of personal effects from Portland, OR to China and am shopping around.

By the same token, has anyone ever worked with International Cargo/Export Shipping Co. in Los Angeles?

Noone

Re: Global Trading Resources (Portland, OR)

Postby Noone » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:16 pm

I'm not familiar with either of them.

Did either come to do an in home survey?

Are they both licensed with the FMC?

Have they provided the rules for shipping personal effects to China?

pilgrimscribe

Postby pilgrimscribe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:46 pm

Neither came to do an in-home survey, but that is because 1.) I am doing a very small move (< 30 boxes, < 2 cubic meters, ~700 lbs.) and 2.) I was able to provide the weight and dimensions of each box and an inventory of each box's contents. Export Shipping is NOT federally licensed so I am not going with them, but I almost did until their subcontracted movers never showed up at my door. I got spooked and canceled the move before any money, goods or contracts exchanged hands.

Global Trading Resources IS federally licensed and locally based, as well as accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. It is more of a cargo forwarding company than a full-service moving company. Their business seems to be more on the commercial side, but really, I just need boxes picked up in Portland and delivered to Macau. I don't need packing or unpacking services.

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:45 am

Here are my concerns:

You measured 2 cubic meters. Did you account for the space which will be added when the goods are palletized? How will volume over 2 cubic meters be charged? Will They palletize them, or will you need to?

Are they including the port fees, terminal handling charges, and other destination fees which are normally excluded? If they are a commercial forwarder, they probably are, so you need to find out, in writing, what these fees will be.

Can they tell you the rules for shipping personal goods there? If not, don't use them.

There is a reason why some companies specialize in commercial and some in personal effects. Using the wrong type of company to do the job won't save you money - it will end up costing the same or more, and will add headaches.

pilgrimscribe

Postby pilgrimscribe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Yes, the goods will be palletized. I will bring them to the warehouse myself and they will palletize them. They have given me a detailed breakdown of fees for shipping, palleting, documentation, insurance, as well as a shipment schedule. The volume of goods was rounded up to 2 cubic meters (the minimum load size) from the original 1.4 cubic meters, so it includes the palleting. They are waiting to hear from the Macau side as to what the terminal fees and destination fees are. Since I have detailed quotes from other providers, I have an idea of a ballpark figure, so if they quote something way out of whack with the other providers' quotes, I will be on alert. So far, though, my dealings with the company have been very good. Unlike the previous shipper from Export Shipping, these guys have answered each of my questions with a good amount of detail and they have behaved in a very professional manner. Will keep posted about how things go.

Noone

Postby Noone » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:05 am

Have they provided you with the rules?

If not, read this, and check the links provided at the bottom:
http://www.iamovers.org/new%20images/me ... /macau.pdf

Return to “International Moves”