$6k + $7k

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Judy A

$6k + $7k

Postby Judy A » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Hello

We are moving back to Norway this summer,we getting a 40' container 1 car + HHG.Now the price I got was around $6k to come and get and load on ship, but when it gets to Norway it will be another company that will take from ship to house,that will be another $7k. Does this seem right?
Total around $13k

Movinghelper

Re: $6k + $7k

Postby Movinghelper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:12 am

Who are you using. The price you pay should be one price for the entire trip. It seems like you are using two different companies that at times work together but are not really in the same affiliation.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Judy A

Postby Judy A » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:52 am

Hi
The company here is Reliable (agent for Allied Van Lines) no door to door,I don't know why.

Yes because of no door to door a Norwegian company will take over when it arrives there.

If you know a company here that will do a door to door one price let me know.

Thanks

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:59 am

There should be one of the International Shipping Pros on here soon that can assist you.

You might want to copy and paste all of the charges on here as well in order for them to advise you on what to look for and see if anything is out of line.
Last edited by Movinghelper on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Judy A

Postby Judy A » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:23 am

Hello

I do not have the papers in front of me now, but it was like 4k lbs of HHG + 1 car Reliable will come to house pack and take to ship $3600.. + 2650 for the 40' container and the paper work to send.

Then when it gets to Norway that's when the other company takes over for $7k more to take off ship clear customs and bring to house.

Thanks for the reply

Noone

Postby Noone » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Ask for a quote door to door.

In any event, another company will need to take over the handling of the container when it gets to Norway, however your contract should be with one company, and you pay them (with the possible exception of port fees in Norway, which should be listed, in writing, on your contract).

You do not want to have a separate contract with two different companies - it adds confusion, and can be an issue in the event of a claim for loss or damage.

If Reliable is unable to offer a door to door quote, have 3 companies who can do that come to your home to survey, and take quotes from them.

Return to “International Moves”