Any way to confirm the goods were cleared and are in US Customs?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Art

Any way to confirm the goods were cleared and are in US Customs?

Postby Art » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for running this forum. Apparently most people find it when they have doubts or already faced problems :) Here is my turn..
It seams I ended up using one of those scam movers. At least the same man had previously had two other small moving companies with very bad reviews, mostly related to delays and large over-payments.

As per the company, my goods arrived to the port of NY one month ago. Then it was selected for x-ray (added just ~$100 on top of the original invoice) and thus it was delayed. My destination is Houston, so the boxes were transferred in-bond to Houston Customs warehouse. At first I was surprised hearing that but researched some information and found that it is possible. Now they say that I have to pay the rest of the invoice before they deliver boxes from customs to my home address. That was the agreement in the beginning before doubts started to appear. I asked to see my boxes first or to get it delivered so I can write a check right upon arrival of the truck but they refused. I asked them to send me the documents supporting custom clearance and the bill for x-ray but they said that they will provide me everything only after they receive the wire transfer. I've requested again any supporting documents that my goods were cleared and are in Houston customs and now waiting for reply.

The good so far is that they did not increase my moving bill other than adding x-ray charge (they informed me about possibility of that before with came into agreement so there is no concern). The bad is the attitude (some wording in the last email), the delay, the previous history of the owner and very poor communication. My boxes were overseas in their "warehouse" for almost a year and it was very difficult to get any information and also to receive the quotes for int.shipment.

So the questions are:
Is there a way to get any information about my goods in the US Customs and what do I need for that? I've seen someone mentioned that customs entry number may help. Will that be enough if they tell me this number?

I know the volume and number of boxes I'm supposed to receive. Is there a way to check it with Customs warehouse before I proceed with payment?

Any specific tricks I may expect after I pay the final invoice by wire or on that step it is usually done ok as long as they did not tell me about extra charges of other shipping companies?

:hmm:

Noone

Re: Any way to confirm the goods were cleared and are in US Customs?

Postby Noone » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 am

My suggestion is to pay the bill, get the goods, and then see if it makes sense to pursue the matter. After all, this is the agreement, it is standard, and other than a bad history, it seems as if you have been treated OK.

They should be able to provide you with the actual bills - I'm not sure why they aren't willing to send them now (unless they are inflating the amounts), however how much money are we talking about?

I'll leave it to someone else to review the procedure for checking that the inspection was really done, etc.

Of course, if you feel you are not being treated fairly, you can always ask the FMC to get involved:

http://www.fmc.gov/resources/requesting ... tance.aspx

Art

Postby Art » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:27 am

Thank you for the reply.
The total bill is $3,000 (I have a 1000 lbs of personal stuff).
This morning they sent me the complete invoice from the container company which mentions all my requested information, including customs charges. So I have transferred the second half of the bill and will see how it goes. I'll update here once it's done.

Art

Postby Art » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Received everything ok and in actually a better shape than was expected. It was delivered by a 3rd-party truck hired by them but the driver said he works for them every 2-3 days in our area which means they have a big number of customers. Will share with them my concerns and ideas how to improve the business otherwise I may not be alone who feel such stress.

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it went! Glad to hear your items arrived in good shape!

Return to “International Moves”