Sterling International vs. Suddath

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
NESTLE

Sterling International vs. Suddath

Postby NESTLE » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:12 pm

I am trying to compare two quotes from Sterling International and Suddath. I am trying to figure out if there is something the SI includes and Suddath excludes (hence the lower price for the latter). Nothing obvious jumps out at me, so any feedback on this would be appreciated! These rates are for New Haven, CT (USA) to Edinburgh, Scotland (UK).

Sterling International: $ 2,570.00

Above rates includes:
• Packing, wrapping and supply of normal packing & wrapping materials.
• Loading by packing crew into container (to avoid damage during ocean transit);
placement into a lift van
• inventory listing at the residence;
• inland transportation of container from warehouse to port;
• registration with a vessel and package of standard shipping documents;
• normal export clearance in USA;
• ocean transportation from port in New York, to port at destination;
• normal port clearances
• inland transportation from port of entry to residence within city limits;
• normal pick up and delivery - residence with normal access; unpacking/
unwrapping; set in place; re-assembly of items;
• debris removal the same day of the delivery

Above rate excludes:
• insurance; container demurrage, storage,
• shuttle service; long carries, pianos; safes; carrying/hoisting for heavy/bulky
items or a customs exam if it should occur;

Suddath: $2,350

Quotation Includes:
¸ Supply of all approved International packing materials and cartons, including packing materials for delicate items
¸ Supply of all custom cartons for any mirrors and pictures, if required
¸ Itemization of each household goods item and preparation of detailed inventory, which is required for customs
purposes and the tracking of your belongings
¸ Documentation preparation
¸ All labor charges to pack and load the household goods in your home
¸ Quality control supervised by the crew leader
¸ Loading household goods inside the lift van at residence
¸ Transport of the lift van to port of exit
¸ Terminal handling charges at origin
¸ Transport of the lift van by steamship line (ocean freight)
¸ Customs clearance of shipment at destination
¸ Terminal handling fees at destination
¸ Delivery of goods to ground floor residence with normal access at destination
¸ Placing of all items in desired rooms in residence at destination
Basic assembly of items disassembled at origin
¸ Unpacking and same day removal of packing debris for household goods
¸ A personal Relocation Counselor to assist throughout your entire household goods relocation

Quotation Excludes:
Optional marine insurance, customs duties and taxes, storage, demurrage, elevator, parking permits, shuttle, stair
carries, and long carries, piano handling, crating, extensive customs examination at origin and destination. The single
factor rate does not include storage or storage-related services; customs duties, taxes, fees or expenses incurred due to
the property owner’s failure to comply with government regulations; services or the preparation of consular documents;
demurrage or storage charges incurred by property owner not being readily available at destination; servicing/unservicing electrical, mechanical, or unusual items; extra pick-ups or deliveries.

THANK YOU! :)

Movinghelper

Re: Sterling International vs. Suddath

Postby Movinghelper » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:08 am

How much are each of them saying the weight or space will be?
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

NESTLE

Postby NESTLE » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:19 am

They are both for 200 cft.

NESTLE

Postby NESTLE » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:22 am

I'm leaning towards Sterling International for my move. Is there any room for negotiation in terms of the price (given that the rest of the moving companies I got quotes from gave me lower rates)? Or are the prices usually firm?

Thanks!

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 am

I was hoping one of the pros that do international moves a lot would be around to help you figure out the difference in things. I will try to get them to look at your request here.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

NESTLE

Postby NESTLE » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:32 am

Okay thank you! :)

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:34 am

If you read through all the fancy wording the Suddath pricing is your best bet. Suddath is a good company. That said, the key thing to know is the cost is based on the final gross cubic feet of the shipment. If they fill a single liftvan, the average is 200 cubic feet but you will not get 200 cubic feet of items in the liftvan. You will be lucky to get 165 to 180 c.f. net in a liftvan depending on what you are shipping.

As for the pricing, Suddaths appears to be competitive and has the same services as Sterling. Based on the pricing shown, the cost to do your shipment is about $1850 average. This shows that Suddath has a profit margin of $500 depending on their origin agent cost. I used $50 per 100 lbs cost. Some go as high as $75 per 100 lbs in the New York area which would reduce their profit.

If you feel more comfortable with one versus another, then use your gut feeling. Both are quality companies.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

NESTLE

Postby NESTLE » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:39 am

Thank you so much for your response! I'm leaning towards Sterling because their transit time is 4-6 weeks, whereas it's 8-10 weeks for Suddath.

Is it worth trying to get Sterling to lower their price or is the price non-negotiable?

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:43 pm

This is America, everything is negotiable.

As for the transit times, the key is when they will have a container loaded at the port at their consolidator and how busy their DA in the UK is. The actual sail time is less than two weeks. The key is when they fill a container her in the US. Most forwarders do not give a guaranteed deliver due to this situation. If you had a full container that would be different.

If you go with Sterling, tell them that you chose them for the transit time quoted and that Suddath was cheaper. Ask them to either guarantee the delivery time and if they do not make it as promised, then they need to refund so much per week they are late. I think this will really say a lot. Get it in writing from one of the officers of the company, not a salesman.

Good Luck

NESTLE

Postby NESTLE » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:53 pm

Thank you, that's very helpful. So do I give the amount I want refunded per week late in the email I send them? If yes, what would a reasonable amount be? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, I just have no frame of reference...

Noone

Postby Noone » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:22 am

Sorry for the delay, but here are my two cents:

Did they both come to do an in home survey? If not, have them both come to survey. This may help them see the job better, and adjust for things like access difficulties or shuttle at origin (excluded from both quotes it seems. If they did an in home survey, they would know if they needed a shuttle or if you lived in a difficult access place).

Check the sailing routes. One may be going direct to Scotland and the other via England. This may account for the different times in transit.

Check the cost of insuring your goods, and calculate how much insurance you will need, and what it will cost with both companies.

Check what the customs clearing procedures will be with both companies. They may not have the same requirements, and one may be easier for you than the other.

Find out who they plan on using at destination to do the work.

Check to see if the Sterling quote includes THC at destination - it is unclear if this is or is not included.

Compare the two companies that came to do the survey - this is the local company that will ultimately be doing the pick-up and packing. If possible, go visit the local warehouse to get a feel of how they operate.

In all honesty, the difference in price is meaningless. A difference of 0.5% in the cost of insurance will make up the difference. As an individual, I wouldn't bother asking for a discount of $150 on a door to door shipment of a 20 foot container. Let's face it, you are giving someone all of your stuff AND all or your money. If you like Bill better than Bob, pay bill a little more. You and he will be best friend for the next 2 months - might as well deal with someone you like than cry over $150. Maybe this is why I still have to work for a living - salesman are the biggest suckers out there when it's our turn to buy.

NESTLE

Postby NESTLE » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:32 am

I'm not crying over $150. And you should check your math. The price difference is $220. Regardless, the insurance for Sterling is twice as expensive, so that further increases the price difference by a few hundred dollars.

This is my first time booking a moving company for any kind of move, let alone an international move, and I'm still trying to understand the process. I sincerely apologize for being too whiny and asking stupid questions.

Noone

Postby Noone » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:41 am

I did the math (poorly, I see) in my head, but the point (which I didn't mean to come out as sounding mean) is the same. I gave a list of things to look into which should help you decide.

If you want to ask for a refund, try the simple method:

Bob.

I want to go with you because of the shorter time in transit. Can you offer a discount per week if the time in transit is longer than you stated?

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Well said noone.

Brownlow

Postby Brownlow » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:56 am

The one thing that you need to be VERY CAREFUL of is that when moving internationally that you use the same company on both ends. I recently had an experience whereby we contracted with a company in the destination country who sub- contracted with a US company to complete the US part of the move. All payments were to be made to the company in the destination country who would then pay any of the other companies that they used. All payments were made to the company in the destination country with whom I had signed the contract. Unbeknown to me the company in the destination country subsequently went into receivership without paying the US company it had contracted with. 18 months later after I had paid the full invoice I received an invoice from the US company for the full amount of the US costs even though I had already paid the company in the destination country. The US company pointed out a line in the fine print at the end of the Bill of Lading signed on the day of the packing by me which seems to indicate that if the US company is not paid by the company they contracted with that the person shipping the goods ie me must now pay them. I am still investigating this from a legal perspective but wanted to give people a heads up not to go with any company that does not have businesses in both countries.

Return to “International Moves”