Rainier says they can't do a home survey

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
NESTLE

Rainier says they can't do a home survey

Postby NESTLE » Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 pm

I've read all the great reviews about Rainier on this forum, so I contacted Rainier to try to schedule a home survey and this was their response:

Hello,

Our agent isn’t very close but we can perform a phone survey… Would that work?

Kind Regards,

Missy Timberman
International Sales
Rainier Overseas Movers, Inc.
Seattle, WA USA

I don't know if I feel comfortable booking a moving company without ever meeting someone from there in person and having them come see the apartment (also to see the apartment building, the street, parking spots, etc). Should I just take Rainier off my list for this reason alone? Their quote (based on my very rough estimate for the shipment volume) is very reasonable and is lower than Sterling International, who just did a home survey for me yesterday. I'm also trying to schedule home surveys for a few other companies including Suddath and Schumacher Cargo Logistics.

Any advice on how I should proceed (or not proceed) with Rainier would be greatly appreciated. I'm torn because it seems like a good and professional company.

Thank you!

MusicMom

Re: Rainier says they can't do a home survey

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 31, 2013 12:47 pm

You're exactly right. If they can't come to your house, find another. But you should at least let them know exactly what you said here, that you like their price, you like their reviews, etc, but the lack of a visual survey would be a deal-breaker. Can they contract a professional estimator who IS near you?

NESTLE

Postby NESTLE » Fri May 31, 2013 12:49 pm

Thank you so much for your quick response. I can certainly do that - I will let you know what they say.

NESTLE

Postby NESTLE » Fri May 31, 2013 7:49 pm

I replied to Rainier and they got back to me saying that they would arrange for a viewing with a local agent. She also mentioned in a later email that they hire agents to do the origin services (see below)

Hi Natalie,

I sent the request to Robin at Shepards alerady, but will give her your email address too. Shepards is a moving and storage agent that we would use for origin services / packing / loading. That is what they do. We rely on agents in the U.S to do this for us, as Rainier is a forwarder. We handle the International portion of the move. The surveyor will not be able to asnwer your questions on the International portion. He will not know customs procedure or how i would route the shipment.

I am happy to discuss this with you and explain the process.

Thank you,

Missy

I'm confused about what this means and would appreciate some input. Is this normal? Should I worry about the trustworthiness of the company that will come pack my things if it's not actually going to be Rainier?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 31, 2013 8:46 pm

Ranier is a freight forwarder, which is how a good portion of international moves start. A few companies are both carriers and FFs. This is OK. If it makes you feel better, check outbthe origin agent they mention.

NESTLE

Postby NESTLE » Fri May 31, 2013 9:10 pm

Okay thank you, that helps! I just didn't know if that was the norm.

robo

Postby robo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:39 am

For what it's worth, I used Rainier last year (US to UK move), gave them an estimate of my volume, and it worked out fine - my estimate was close, and it all went pretty smoothly.

Return to “International Moves”