U-Pack Moving Reviews (164 total - 150 good/5 neutral)

View reviews of moving companies that our visitors have used, and came back to tell us about it.
Diane

Re: ABF U-Pack Moving Reviews (127 total - 115 good/5 neutral)

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:22 pm

[Editor's note by Diane: I am re-posting this review (#127) from Epinions. It was posted on 8/29/07 by "bobhernandez" at http://www.epinions.com/content_401937305220 Please note that I have bolded certain remarks that I consider important and put them in red font - they are not that way in the original review.

Although the poster is mistaken when he says that ABF U-Pack "recommends" Albert Moving to load and unload people's things, the fact that it lists that company (along with Moving Staffers) on its Moving-Related Links page gives the impression of a recommendation. ABF accepts small referral fees from those two companies, which are essentially labor brokers. I personally do not agree with this policy because I think it's better for people to find a high-rated local mover or find a local mover on their own rather than using a national company like Albert and Moving Staffers. As this review shows, the quality of the workers contracted by a broker can be very poor. I understand why ABF U-Pack does this - many customers want some kind of recommendation for loading and unloading services and eMove.com is owned by U-Haul, which is a competitor. However, I urge people to be very cautious about booking with Albert Moving or Moving Staffers rather than taking the initiative to hire local workers directly.

ABF itself is careful to say that it is not endorsing these two companies and is not liable for anything they do, as seen by this excerpt from its website, but unfortunately customers don't always take note of such things:
Loading & Unloading Assistance
ABF U-Pack does not offer packing, loading or unloading services. Fortunately, there are firms in each locality who can perform this service for you. ABF is not affiliated with these service providers. If you decide to use any local service, your agreement with them will be separate from your ABF U-Pack Price Schedule and reservation.

Disclaimer of Endorsement or Liability
Neither Arkansas Best Corporation nor ABF Freight System, Inc. makes or implies any endorsement of the services provided by any provider of loading and unloading assistance. In addition, Arkansas Best Corporation and ABF Freight System, Inc. disclaim all responsibility for liability from services provided by outside entities. -
http://www.upack.com/packload/packload. ... =bestvalue

This is not the first review on MovingScam.com that has reported a bad experience with Albert Moving or Moving Staffers - which, by the way, tend to be on the expensive side as opposed to what local workers hired directly would charge. Again, I strongly urge people to explore other options.]

Recommended: yes :D
Date: 8/07
Move: CA to Washington, DC
Cost: $2600 for unknown number of feet in a trailer, door to door

Topic title: Great Move with UPack

Pros: Very professional and friendly, good prices, extremely prompt service

Cons: Recommended a bad company to help load the trailer

Full Review

Just completed a move from California to Washington DC with ABF UPack and it was a great experience. The drivers and customer service reps were all very helpful and friendly. For pick-up and drop-off, the trailers arrived within 5 minutes of the start of the delivery time window. Drivers were very experienced and able to park trailers in fairly tight spaces on both ends of move. Would definitely use them again.

The only issue we had was with the company they recommended for labor. We decided to hire a company to load the trailer for us and ABF UPack recommended Albert Movers. They assigned a customer service coordinator who was friendly, Albert Movers just contracts the work out. They sent two teenagers to load my truck who barely spoke English and did a terrible job. I had tremendous breakage and crush damage because they loaded the truck so poorly (i.e. five books of boxes stacked on a box clearly labeled with fragile china). I would definitely find another company to help load your truck.

FURIOUS2

Postby FURIOUS2 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:16 am

ABF says in their website that they charge by the cubic ft. I thought that was illegal!!!!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:31 am

It is illegal for movers to charge by the cubic feet, but ABF is just a freight line, they are selling you space on one of their freight trucks, you can do whatever you want with it, but they get paid based on how much space you want to use.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:07 pm

They charge by LINEAR (not cubic) feet. This is the number of feet back from the front of the trailer that the load gets packed, which is how freight companies measure stuff.

Archie's just a sourpuss. :P

Cubic Feet is allowable in only one situation, but I won't go into that here.

Liny61

Postby Liny61 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNKsQP-tmVM

Hello all.

Thought I'd assist those who have not yet moved using UPACKS relocubes. I am presently awaiting the delivery of two relocubes, that moved from West Palm Beach, Florida to Long Island, New York. I filmed the unloading of the cubes when they were delivered on the Florida side (which is the link above). I am going to attempt filming the condition of the uh, packed to the 9's cubes this afternoon and shall post that video on my youtube page as well. Thought this might help those who would like a closer look at just how it all works and looks when empty and packed.

Hope this helps. Oh btw, I used two cubes, the cost, $1761. Beautiful on the Florida end, so far those I've spoken to at ABF on the NY side, have been equally as considerate and helpful. The only one I'll have to take to the whipping post is myself should there be any damage inside...as I expect a few minor dings and breaks as with any move.

Okay then that's all I got for now, but will be back with that unloading the loaded carnage...soon as the cubes arrive today.

Thanks for the read,
MaryAnn

**In case I didn't quite insert the url to my relocube video here is the direct url where that particular video is first on the page.

www.youtube.com/liny61

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Wow, Mary Ann, you could have hired a professional to do all that work and it would not have cost any more, more than likely...(disclaimer, don't know how much you have, but 2 relo cubes is not much stuff)

Liny61

Postby Liny61 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:09 pm

Yeah I should've hired movers to load them for the sheer sweltering temps at the time (last week). But that was the cost of the cubes only. I did the loading and , cough cough...lol...will be doing the unloading starting this afternoon (when the cubes arrive) with my g/f throughout the weekend (as they don't do pickups or deliveries on the weekend). So it will give me a little more time and of course the weather up here in Long Island is much more tolerable then it was last week packing them in West Palm Beach.

I'm happy though, with the service and promptness. Not sure I'll be happy with myself when I first open the doors, with a helmet on. ;) Yeah I kinda got frustrated at the end and just tossed my clothes and some soft unbreakable stuff in at the end. So I'm expecting the carnage to drop kick me when I open those doors. Other than that, I tied all else down, with rachete tie downs and bungees. We shall see how it all faired. But I will post the results in a video. :)

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:15 pm

Actually, what i meant was, you could have hired a mover to do all the work, loading, hauling, unloading, you could have sat on the veranda and watched them do all the heavy lifting, and my guess is $2500 would have covered the whole job, so if you spent that much on the cube rental and your paid labor at origin and destination, you might have done a lot of work that you didnt have to do. Fla to NY is a highly competitive traffic lane, truckers from Ny will do it cheaply, to pay their way back North. But you probably enjoyed it, and got some good exercise, so it's ok.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 pm

Great video, Mary Ann. Thanks for posting the link. It was interesting to see that two ReloCubes fit easily into just one parking space.

Liny61

Postby Liny61 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:51 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piiROWkBBoE

Hey thanks Diane. I just posted the NY side of the Florida to NY Relocube move. Thought people might be interested in seeing just um, how jam packed you can load those little gems, and have everything arrive just the same way it was when you locked up the doors.

I gotta say it was the most stress free move as far as the final result. They were on time with pickup and delivery, they were accomodating on both ends, from start to finish and those cubes fit a tonnnnnnnm of stuff... (as my uh video will show) (insert embarassed face here). But nothing broke, not one thing moved.

Hope this video helps others see just what you can pack in these cubes. I did however tie down my furniture and wrapped my tv's in comforters and used that saran wrap type packing plastic to tighten the comforters and it worked perfectly.

Best to all.
MaryAnn

Diane

Re: ABF U-Pack Moving Reviews (128 total - 116 good/5 neutral)

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:03 pm

Thanks, Mary Ann. Your review is now officially ABF review #128.

Date: 9/07
Move: West Palm Beach, FL, to Long Island, NY
Cost: $1761 for 2 ReloCubes, door to door

Diane

Re: ABF U-Pack Moving Reviews (129 total - 117 good/5 neutral)

Postby Diane » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:51 pm

[Editor's note by Diane: I am re-posting this review (#129) from Epinions. It was posted on 10/26/07 by "skigalini" at http://www.epinions.com/content_284837514884 The poster is comparing ABF U-Pack (excellent) with a full-service mover (terrible).

It is important to understand that the people he signed up with, trying to save $600 over ABF's quote, were not reputable moving companies. The broker was World Moving Services (see viewtopic.php?t=8330 for background) and the company that was sent to move him was Avalon Moving Systems (see viewtopic.php?t=14366 ). A reputable full-service mover would not have behaved like this. But any company that quotes less than a freight company for a full-service move is almost certainly suspect. BEWARE!]

Date: 10/07
Move: Phoenix to North Carolina
Cost: $2700 for about 22 feet in a trailer, door-to-door

Topic title: I SHOULD HAVE STUCK WITH ABF

Pros: Honesty, quick, reliable, great service on-time.

Cons: I had to sweep-out an ABF trailer. It wasn't too bad. Not worth complaining about.

The Bottom Line

ABF is highly reliable. There are no surprises with them, as there are with other companies.

Full Review

ABF = Trustworthy, dependable, less hassle.

I used ABF twice before my previous move. Basically, they would drop off a 28-foot trailer in my driveway and I would hire local movers to load it and unload it.

U-Pack has always been dependable for me. However, being economy-minded as I am, and having a wife who is an economist, I sought competitive bids from full-service carriers (they load, move and unload). That was my biggest mistake. Boy did I ever get screwed. Got a second? Read this ...

World Moving Services/Avalon - THIEVES:

One of the competitive carriers (can't remember the name) went by density (approximate feet) and the other went by weight (that's World Moving Services/Avalon). I told both of them that I have a 3 bedroom house that takes between 21 and 24 feet of space in an ABF or other large trailer.

The carrier that went by 'space' was at least $3000 higher than ABF. The one that went by weight, World Moving Company (subcontracting Avalon Moving Services), was about $600 less. Before signing a contract with World Moving Services/Avalon, they stated that 24 feet of space would be the approximate equivellant of 3600 lbs. Heck, I didn't know how much my stuff weighs. Then I signed the contract with World Moving Services/Avalon and the nightmare began.

They stated in a contractural guarantee that my window for pickup was 48 hours. Reluctantly, I went along with it. On the first day, they rescheduled 3 times. First, we had a 3-hour warning, then a "sorry we can't make it. Then it was 7:00 am the next morning and we prepared ourselves. 7:00am came, then 8:00 am, then 9:00 am. Nothing. Then I got the call. They assured me that it would "for sure" be between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm in the evening on the second day of the 48 hour window.

I moved half the house to the driveway to speed up the process. Keep in mind I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old boys that were hungry, haven't slept good and needed to be in bed that night before 10:00 pm.

Then the driver's dispatch (Avalon) calls me at 7:30 pm and said it would be a couple of more hours. By this time it was getting dark outside. I strung lights for safety purposes to help the movers load once they arrived.

Then the driver called me at 10:00 pm and said he would be there in 3 hours. I was angry at that point and said we had to get some sleep and I could not start loading at 1:00 am in the morning. The driver (who barely spoke English) said he would meet us at 7:00 am in the morning. By the time I got everything out of the driveway and back into the house and garage, it was 1:00 am. I went to a hotel that cost $180 per night (average rate in Phoenix in November) because it is peak tourist season in Phoenix.

We got only 3-1/2 hours of sleep and then went back to the house, arriving at 6:50 am. Finally, at 9:30 am, the driver shows. The driver walks through the house and tells me that I have probably 15,000 lbs of stuff and that my cost would probably be 4 or 5 times the original estimate. Let me see ... that means I would have to pay about $15000 for 22-feet of load. Oh My God. I almost had a heart attack.

The driver then opened up the back of his 24-foot bobtail truck and I saw that it was halfway loaded. Only 12-foot of space left on his truck. I was so mad that I threw a fit, said a few explanatives, and got everyone angry at me. This company (World Moving Services/Avalon) had not only showed up a day late, but they deprived me of my sleep before a long 2300-mile journey across the continent with my family, made the price five times higher than the original estimate and now this (12-foot of space for a 24-foot load). I told the driver that he is past the 48 hour window, that I originally stated that my load takes 21 to 24 feet and now he only has 12-foot of available space. Service failure was my reason for cancelling.

The driver said that another truck could come by sometime within a day or two and pick up the other half of the load from my house, then my load would be reloaded a couple of times before it got to me. I said that it sounds like ar recipe for busted TV sets, broken mirrors and damaged goods to me. I told him to get lost.

I called World Moving Services and their dispatch, Avalon Moving Services and cancelled the move due to service failure.

I then called the local ABF terminal and spoke to the Manager. He dispatched an ABF trailer to me within four hours. I had local movers already on-hand and was on my way that same evening. Wow!

ABF came through for me. I cancelled my credit card before World Moving Services could make further charges against me. However, World Moving services keeps calling me and telling me that I breached a contract and they are threatening to collect almost $4000 from me.

I received no services, nothing from World Moving Services/Avalon and now I'm in a bitter financial dispute with them.

World Moving Company and Avalon Moving Services are scheisters and thieves. They are extremely disorganized and cost me very much in loss of time, hotel cost, anguish, arguments between me and my spouse and time-loss at work because of their late arrival and changing prices.

I will NEVER use anything but ABF again. I learned my lesson. World Moving Company and Avalon are truly cheats and crooks and are still fighting me to steal my hard-earned money which they did not earn and don't deserve. The nightmare is not over.

I'm just an engineer and a consumer, just like you. Please do not consider these 'good deals' on moving. Go with ABF and rest easy. They have now moved me 3 times. All three times it was nothing but professional and they do what they say they will. No tricks or entrapment with ABF like some of the other companies. ABF is a stellar company with integrity.

Scott Shamblin
scottshamblin at aol.com
Last edited by Diane on Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NHMS-1

Postby NHMS-1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Diane,

Thanks for putting us on the list. As I said in other treads were happy to lend advice on the forum. I'll check back more often if anyone has questions about moving with ABF. We've packed dozens of the relo cubes and quite a few trailers from them.

Lately we've had good luck with MoveX. They can supply a whole air ride 53' trailer. The ABF trailers have no suspension. You have to be flexible on your move date and time of day though. MoveX matches jobs with independant truckers. They seem to provide plenty of moving blankets no extra charge. FYI, we have no relationship with MoveX or ABF. We just load and unload them.

Paul

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:20 pm

Actually we don't recommend MoveEx as they are a broker. You can go directly to the company and get a better deal, and take out the middle man in the meantime. Contact ABF or Broadway Express directly.

NHMS-1

Postby NHMS-1 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:15 pm

I understand your point. Going through a broker you have no idea who you'll be hooked up with. Also the middle man adds a signifigant cost.

Return to “Reviews of Companies Endorsed by MovingScam”