Auto Transport Reviews (see p. 31 for companies we endorse)

View reviews of moving companies that our visitors have used, and came back to tell us about it.
Pete

Re: Auto Transport Reviews (see p. 31 for companies we endorse)

Postby Pete » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:24 pm

First, I would like to thank you for this great site. When I first started researching an auto transport, I found this site. Needless to say, it was a great resource but also caused me a lot of anxiety. I had no idea there were so many shady operators out there!

Here’s my story:
I was moving a car from Western PA to Eastern WA. Shipping a 1999 Ford Expedition. Here are the prices I got:

Auto Shippers America $1295
A Across USA $1195
Southern Auto Transport $1495
CNC Transportation $1295
Coast to Coast $1750
Magic Carpet $1499
Swift Auto Shippers $1240
P.A.T.S Auto Transport $1295

In the end I selected P.A.T.S. http://www.patsautotransport.com/.

Here’s why: After reading everything about all these companies, I was terrified. I looked to MusicMom ‘s advice and checked out other resources like the BBB(Better Business Bureau). Golden Key Express didn’t ship to WA and they recommended Coast to Coast (great BBB rating). Contacted them but the quote was higher than the rest. Went to the BBB and looked up the companies I was getting quotes from and became even more terrified. F-, Unsatisfactory… I didn’t think I can I find anyone else with a good rating? Finally I started to search BBB (not the easiest site to search for these things) and found P.A.T.S. They had an A+ rating with the BBB and had been in business for like 15 years. She is a broker, I had reservations about that. I talked to Pat and she was very helpful. (She wasn’t the cheapest, the above prices and including all the fine print add-on charges). However, out of all the companies I talk to, she seemed the most sincere (Golden Key Express and Coast to Coast were also in this category). I asked her if she had heard about this site, she said no, she isn’t really computer savvy.

Here’s how things went down: I talked to Pat on a Thursday and gave her my information. She told me it could be up to 14 days before she get’s the truck scheduled and more for arrival, depended on her transporters. She set my expectations correctly. However, the truck was picked up on the following Wednesday morning, 12 AM (they gave me the choice of that night or the next day). Truck arrived in WA on Saturday afternoon, as shipped. I was pleasantly surprised it went down so quickly. I would highly recommend PATS.

Thank you MusicMom, Diane, Rick and this site.

Last thought: If any of these carriers / brokers tells you that the BBB is biased to “small business”, they are lying. When I asked about poor BBB reviews, they said to check, Auto Transport Reviews. It seems like that site is funded by the companies that have “five star ratings” but really BAD BBB ratings. I’m sure there are thousands of cars transported every day and things generally go fine. But I would rather bet on the company that doesn’t have ANY issues or resolve them in an honorable mannor. My 2 cents.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:57 pm

Thank you for your review, and for the good background search info you listed. Glad it all went so well for you!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Re-posting a good review of DAS:
mckneeley wrote: 12/14/08 - I moved my car last week from Chicago to Dallas on DAS transport. I felt like I should comment on the move in case other people are considering a similar transport.

They quoted $875 and approximated a 7 day delivery for an outdoor transport. The driver picked up at my house (just down the block) and delivered it to my office in dowtown Dallas. The move only took 4 days. I couldn't believe it. The car actually got there before I did. My secretary took care of the delivery and made the payment on delivery.

I really felt like they took care of me. I am not sure if the price was the lowest but I would recommend the service to others. I found out about them when I did a search for auto transporters on Google. This is the first page I landed on http://www.save364.com/transport.html
I got a few other quotes but decided on DAS.

Mike McKneeley - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17630

MikeLitt3810

Postby MikeLitt3810 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:43 am

Ok I'll admit I only glanced over a few pages on this thread. It may have been stated in here already. If you love your car make sure its transported in a covered truck. About 3 Years ago I moved some guy to Denver from Ohio. I don't rember much of the move but his car stood out. It was a fully restored vintage race car. I begged the man to let me load it on to my truck. He declined b/c he arranged for this car to be moved by another. When we got to destination his car arrived, as it turned out it was hauled on a flat bed as general freight. The car looked like it was dragged there behind a train. A car cover may work. but if you don't put it on it's never going to be covered. If your movers do transport it in their truck there is only one right way to do it. Make sure they place a cargo bar infront of the front tires, and another one behind the rear tires and they must use a ratchet strap at each corner the cars tend to shift in transit. This process will stop the car from shifting and reciving damage. Some will take a short cut skip these steps you are the customer. You are the reason this man is getting a pay check. Have it done right. :)
I'm not here to rant about the Co. I work for, I'm not looking for side jobs, I have been in the buisness for about 15 yrs, and If you seriously need help you can e mail me and I'll try to get back to you asap.

leveetated

Golden Key Express - cash only?

Postby leveetated » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:01 am

Hello all wise ones,

I absolutely love this site! (Based on reviews here, I went with ABF U Pack on a move last year - they were GREAT. But that's another forum.) This time, I'm moving a car. I recently surveyed multiple carriers to transport a Scion from NM to CT. The quotes:

- Golden Key Express: $850
- 360 Transport: $1045
- DeMoise Trucking: $1200
- North American Vehicle Transport: $1650
- FedEx Passport: $2100+

All are on open carrier. Based on the great reviews here on movingscam.com, and the great price, I think I'll go with Golden Key. However, they want *cash only*. Does anyone else find this odd? That's a big chunk of change in cash, and I'm not thrilled about it. Is this common, or anything to be concerned about?

Thanks for any thoughts...

LT.

ajs340

Postby ajs340 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:02 am

Cash only (or cashier's check) is pretty common practice, I believe. I shipped a car with Coast To Coast from Washington, DC to Eugene, OR in April and paid $1,400 with a cashier's check. The other companies I called to get quotes from also said the same thing.

While I'm here, I'd also like to put in a good word for Coast To Coast. The shipping could not have gone more smoothly, and they were an absolute joy to work with! Thanks to everyone on this site for their recommendations.

garfieldsc

Postby garfieldsc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 pm

I recently moved from Pasadena, CA to Houston, TX. This site has been so helpful for me that I can't express my appreciation enough. I think I can contribute a little by sharing my experience.

I chose Golden Key Express to ship my car after reading all the good reviews here. The experience turned out to be just as wonderful as all others on this board had said, if not better.

The dispatcher, Misty, was very prompt answering all my email questions (and there were lots of them, most of them may look silly considering it was my first time hiring interstate movers). The driver, Zoly, was very polite and pleasant. He picked up my car on Friday morning and delivered it as soon as Monday morning! He also managed to get as close to my apartments as he could. Both the pickup place and the delivery place were within 2 miles of where I live. He took great care of the cars. There was not a single scratch added to my car.

I paid $875 for the door-to-door move, a very competitive price among all the quotes I got ($850-975).

I would definitely recommend everyone I know to use Golden Key Express.

hamhock313

Postby hamhock313 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:53 pm

FIrst I want to say what a great site this is. I have used ABF in the past for a move from Michigan to Cali and they were great! I wouldn't have found them without this site. So thanks everyone for all of your posts and input.

I will be shipping my car from Michigan to Dallas next month. I have been reading through this thread. I am awaiting qoutes from :

Prostar
Coast to Coast
Tnt
Golden key

I heard back from Golden Key and they don't do this route :( upset because of the rave reviews they have received. Misty wrote " I am sorry we do not have any trucks that run this route...I highly recommend calling CDI @ 713-453-0205 (Kevin)"

Tried doing a search for them on this site and nothing came up. I did see a rip off report posted on them, but they had a rebuttal and it didn't sound too bad.

Would love any advice on this- are there any other carriers that I should contact? Anyone know anything about CDI???

THanks in advance for your help.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:06 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamhock313

Postby hamhock313 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks Rick,

I got a qoute from United Road Service and it was for $595. From Coast to Coast they quoted me $975.

Still waiting on other qoutes. But haven't been able to find anything on CDI. Also does anyone know anything about United?

All help greatly appreciated!!!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:21 am

justicejudith wrote:Hi All, How about a move to Hawaii?

It's been quite a while since people have reported on actual experiences. I would like to know if anyone has suggestions/advice on our upcoming move from MA to Kona, Hawaii? We have some household goods and 2 cars to ship. I've received information on shipping door to door from the following:

- ABF (reasonable)
- 4 Corners Transport Services
- Matson (could handle both)
- Gentle Giant (are they kidding??)
- ProStar Auto Transport who recommend Air Van North American
- Joyce Va Lines (anyone had any communication with Terry?)

Any and all comments or suggestions are truly appreciated!

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18434

QQsarah

Postby QQsarah » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm

Dear All,

I will move my car from MD to IN.
Got a quote from DAS, the valuation price is $150 with a $250 deductible. Can I use my own insurance? Now I have a $250 deductible with Geico, I could change to $25 deductible during the car is shipped. Thanks.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:51 pm

In a belated answer to the above poster:- people have recommended reducing the deductible on your own comprehensive auto insurance rather than buying insurance from DAS. Also, someone just posted that the auto transport company A Florida Direct has changed its name to eautoship: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 074#127074
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:24 am

Re-posting a recent warning posted by "auto transport" in 6/09:
I worked for a car transport broker and I know most of the information that you would need to know and how to stay away from scammers. I know the ins and outs. Most companies you find online are NOT moving your car personaly they do not own the truck and can only lead yo on. If they under quote you, your car will not move. What you need to know is that they are taking a fee to connect you with a car transport company. So PLEASE be weary. The website www.transportreviews.com is a scam, those all are brokers and the top peole on that call every single custome to have them post but...they do not contact the customers who have bad experience s and when they do have a negative post they contact the webmaster or they contact the customer and ask them to remove it. They will tell and ask and do anyting to get it removed. You need to contact a trucking company directly. There are easy cars to move and then there are hard ones. The size of your car matters and the location that you are moving to and from. Some truck drivers are not the most reliable but you would rather deal with the trucking company than a broker. the broker takes a fee right away, a truck driver takes there fees on delivery. Brokers take $200 and more as there fee and they do this different for each customer and then charge extra fees if you do not like the company who picks up. They will say you rejected them and that there will be another finder fee to find another company but they most of the time they do not let you know they are a broker. So the trucking company does all the work and they take a fee for nothing. Your car which is considered a load and is posted on a website (the specific website is the only one used by car transporters) and a truck driver calls the broker(or the person who posted the "load") and they are basically bidding on your car. To get a reliable company to move your car where you can talk to the truck driver you NEED to find a trucking company directly. If anyone is looking for additional information on transporting you precious vehicle please reply. I can give some more tips and info on these places. - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18265
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

manchul

Postby manchul » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:51 pm

I will be moving from NJ to CA and I got quotes from a few companies. Here is the list (for terminal to terminal)...

1.) DAS: $684 (no insurance)
$786 (insurance and $250 deductible)
$836 (insurance and $0 deductible)
2.)Tn'T: $1000 (Chicago Express service, where there is no insurance and I will have to work with the carrier for any claims whatsoever)
3.) Golden Key Express: $1,000
4.) Auto Zipper: $890 (they said that there is n such thing as insurance. All carriers have to provide insurance and so they don’t charge extra for insurance. I got rave reviews about them on the following web-site: http://www.transportreviews.com/company/autozipper.asp)

I want to go with GKE but their quote is $300 more than DAS without insurance. And based on what I have been reading on this thread, I don’t necessarily have to purchase insurance till such time that I have comprehensive + collision from my auto insurance company. I was fine with this information, till DAS kind of threw me off. Please read the following to understand my dilemma...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Earlier in this thread (page 9, link provided below)...

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=120 - the last posting on this page by 'Guest'

I read that 'Guest' did not purchase insurance from the broker and then his (or her) car sustained severe damages (the carrier's hydraulics malfunctioned). After being turned away by the carrier and the broker, he was able to get both the broker and the carrier on the same page and the carrier then agreed that it was their fault and that they would get it repaired or reimbursed it.

So this is an example where 'Guest' did not purchase insurance, but the carrier still promised to cover the expenses (after a lot of convincing). I think he did not involve his insurance company (at least the carrier asked/requited him not to)

Now my question is ... I posed a similar situation to my DAS coordinator and he said that if I don't purchase insurance from them ($150, for $0 deductible) they will not be liable for anything, neither the damages (even if it can be proved that they were responsible) nor any payment towards my deductible.

They said that if I purchase the valuation from them then I will be covered and in that case I won't even have to go to my insurance company. They will handle everything.

I know 'jreberio' had earlier said that we don’t have to purchase insurance from the broker or the carrier. We should have comprehensive (and collision too) from our auto insurance company. In case of an accident the auto insurance company’s claims department will work with the carrier to fix the car. But DAS is painting a totally different picture. They are saying that they cannot be held liable, as I waived that right by not purchasing insurance from them.

To quote from "Guest's" broker: "Auto-Go also mentioned that the "disclaimer" about my insurance company having the primary responsibility is a bunch of crock and said that it would never stand in court. Auto-Go also agreed that I do not need to contact my insurance company" and also one of the auto moving company mentioned above (auto zipper) told me that the carriers cannot wash their hands off insurance. They have to reimburse you.

So I just wanted to see can DAS really walk away (if there are severe damages to my car and which were caused by them) if I don't purchase insurance or is it just scare-tactics for me to buy one.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If there is a possibility that Das may walk away, then I am thinking I should buy that insurance. Please let me know what you feel

Return to “Reviews of Companies Endorsed by MovingScam”