Don Schwartz, dba STS Movers

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
karandash

Don Schwartz, dba STS Movers

Postby karandash » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:27 pm

STS moved my household goods from Rolling Hills Estates, CA to Santa Fe, New Mexico almost 4 weeks ago. A substantial quantity of my household goods are missing. I have emailed and texted Don Schwartz a multitude of times but he refuses to relinquish the remainder of my belongings to me. His packing method was highly irregular. He apparently used wardrobe boxes to carry my belingings to the truck, then emptied the wardrobe boxes of my belongings behind my back. I am now missing a large number of items. He refuses to look for them and denies that he is keeping my belongings. He is a small "personal" shipper who rented a truck and drove my load by himself to Santa Fe. I am now forced to file a police report for theft. He did not inform me of my rights via DOT for filing a claim. I am frantic over my losses which include a large number of original paintings (I am an artist).

MusicMom

Re: Don Schwartz, dba STS Movers

Postby MusicMom » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:22 am

K, were you present at delivery? When the boxes were being unloaded, did you get a chance to check things off as they arrived? Did the boxes look any different, like they'd been opened after being taped shut the first time? Did you pack them or did his crew? From your description I was unsure if he simply carried the belongings out to the truck and packed them into other boxes in the truck.

I ask because the inventory list is incredibly important to getting a claim filed. If you signed that everything arrived in good order then you will not be granted a claim. If you did note that boxes were missing then things are different and you may have a claim.

What did Don say, exactly, when you called and texted him and he refused to give them back? Did he say he didn't have anything left of yours? To your knowledge, was the truck the same at loading and unloading, or were there any other movers involved?

Last but not least, did you purchase any additional valuation? If not, then your shipment is covered at 60 cents per pound of weight of the missing or damaged item, and you have to be able to prove what is missing and how much it weighed. If your artwork truly is missing then that may be difficult unless you've had them appraised.

I'm trying to remain impartial but I have to be honest, this is a report back that is unlike any that has been written in the past about STS. Don even moved the mother of one of my friends upon my recommendation, which I would NOT have given if there was even an inkling that she wouldn't get top-notch service. Still, I'm going to keep an open mind and see if we can help you get to the bottom of things, and at least locate your missing items. We'll see if we can get any further info from STS, maybe Don can come comment here or contact you directly.

karandash

Postby karandash » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Don and 2 men packed my goods into a van but I never saw the pvan; not visible from my 3d story condo.He said he was taking my goods to storage in Huntington Beach, then renting small truck to drive the goods to my new address in New Mexico. He charged me a premium over vanline charges for the load, assuring me my goods would get special handling and be delivered fasterand safer than a vanline. There was an agreed to delivery date. However, he called me two days early and said he was ready to unload my goods in New Mexico. He wanted to unloaded them in my absence and get me to pay him by credit card. I declined. He showed up in a rented Penske truck. His inventory list had been rife with errors when he left my house and I was shown no inventory of the several wardrobe boxes he and his workers packed. They were not on the inventory list. Don had gained my confidence, so I trusted him, especially since I had hired him based on reviews on your website. The fact that he moved your mother is immaterial. You and he have financial ties. There is a conflict of interest.Don unloaded quickly at my house. I couldn't figure out many of the inventory items and again noted several items were not listed at all including the several wardrobe boxes. He talked me into signing the sheet anyway. As he drove away I called and said my area rugs and wardrobe boxes were missing. He proceeded to scream at me over the phone.He later emailed that he never shipped the boxes at all. He removed all my items from them after he loaded them on his truck. I have an email to that effect from him..Don has made no effort at any time to recover my goods. I am missing art supplies (very costly) and I am a professional artist, my own original landscape paintings, personal financial records, contents of the master bath medicine cabinet and items in cupboards, cleaning brooms and mops from the hall closet, food items and dishes from the kitchen, brand new sisal area rugs, wheeled folding carts, etc. He also delivered items to me that don't belong to me. When I informed him, he ignored me.He did not provide me with the DOT literature. He has never tried to recover my goods. I will warn others that he is a rogue mover, to be avoided.He apparently thought he could get away with ripping me off since I was moving out of state but I will pursue a legal action against him since he refuses to return my goods to me.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:32 am

Please re-read my statement above, Don did not move my mother, he moved the mother of a friend of mine, and she didn't receive any special treatment from him, it was only a recommendation because she lived in the same area as Don. I pointed out my recommendation to say that I would not have suggested she use him if he didn't already have a very good reputation. I do not have any financial ties to Don, and I am not in the moving industry.

The operator of MovingScam checked in with Don, and Don's given a synopsis of your move in response to your complaint. He says he spent several hours at the estimation meeting working out an arrangement to fit your needs and budget.

Because of your apartment layout and access, he rented a small box truck and he and his crew put the boxes you had packed into wardrobe boxes to make carrying through the condo complex's garage easier. Each of your little boxes (within the wardrobes) was numbered and the wrapped furniture numbered as well, and noted on the inventory sheet. He says your artwork went with you in your car to avoid having to pay for mirror boxes. Once the loading was done, he went to his storage place and unloaded all the wardrobe boxes as they were no longer needed. Had he not done that then you would have had to pay for the use of the wardrobes as well, and he was still trying to keep your costs down. There were no other belongings in the unit at any time your stuff was there. When it was time to drive to New Mexico he loaded up his larger truck (movers do use leased trucks if their shipments outgrow their owned trucks' limit or they are keeping up with heavy summer customer numbers) with only your boxes (no wardrobes), and drove to your new place. Nobody entered the storage place at any time, and it was empty when he drove off.

As he unloaded he handed you the inventory list and called off numbers of the boxes being carried for you to check off. You signed that everything was delivered. You did not note anything was missing. He also says that you did not list any items of high value, and as such the contents of each box that were PBO or Packed By Owner were not specified.

Don has elected to not say this to you himself because of the recent texts and emails you have sent to him of an increasingly abusive and threatening nature, including bringing his daughter into it. This is why he has stopped responding to you. He's holding onto those messages for now. He does not have any of your belongings, he has triple-checked the trucks and storage place, and given the fact that you packed your boxes yourself and signed the inventory list, you will not have any claim for loss, either.

At this point, it's best to just move on and call it a learning experience. Next time you move, save in advance so that you can buy full service and I think this is what would make you happiest.

Return to “Report A Scam”