Postby fairyofwind » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Are these guys legitimate? I'm doing an interstate move. Thanks

http://www.proudamericanmoving.com
DOT: 1393119
MC # 735386

Nancy

Re: Proud american moving network

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:21 pm

The have one truck and have only had authority since May of this year, just over a month!

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... name=PROUD^AMERICAN^MOVING^INC&pv_pref_docket=MC735386&pv_usdot_no=1393119&pv_vpath=LIVIEW

I wouldn't use them

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:27 pm

Check out the photo of their truck. A freight truck! 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

fairyofwind

Postby fairyofwind » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:33 pm

So I guess I should cancel? They claim they've been in business since 2004 on their web site and did take a 10% deposit from me which I'll ask for back. I was contacted by them through one of the online referral portals and received a binding quote by e-mail without an on-site estimate. Don't know if the firm is legitimate, but sounds like that's enough warning flags to cancel.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:37 pm

Well, I can tell you that they originally applied for a license way back in 2005 but never got it. Their current license was only granted in May. I Googled their phone number listed on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) license report, and came back with a hit for the website registration for www.topmoversinc.com , operated by Assaf Dasan from the far away city of Karmiel, Israel.

The other address popping up on some ads is 1331 Regal Row in Dallas. Maybe coincidence and maybe a link, but this same rental mailbox place is used by Focus Van Lines and Atlas Movers LLC. Another address from their website, 3262 Westheimer Rd, is a UPS store.

More Googling reveals the phone number used to belong to USMS of Dallas. MORE searching comes back to this thread detailing Assaf Dasan's other company names before Proud American.

So, based on the patterns of complaints I see and history of closing and re-opening under new names once the complaints get too much, NO, I would say this company is not legit.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Fairy, while you try to get your deposit back (follow their cancellation policy TO THE LETTER and do it immediately, like NOW), you need to find a mover in your current location who will come to your house to do the estimate. You can use our Superlist for a jumping off point, ask some realtors in your area who they recommend, talk to neighbors, and see whose trucks you notice repeatedly on the road in your area. You're bound to find a good guy. Most movers are good guys.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:22 am

In addition, they are NOT members of the AMSA as the bottom right corner of their homepage says.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:51 am

Correction: As it USED to say two days ago, but no longer does. At least they listen to the AMSA.

ManhattanGirl

Postby ManhattanGirl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Don't do it!!!
I hired Proud American Movers to handle a move from Fayetteville, Arkansas to New York, New York, with pickup on June 27, 2011 and drop off on July 5, 2011. Less than 24 hours before they were supposed to arrive to pick up my belongings, they informed me that they would be several days late due to 'scheduling conflicts.' I was leaving the state for good by plane two days later and a new tenant was moving into the apartment on July 1. They said they would see if they could contract another truck to handle it because of my circumstances, but on June 27th, said they could not do the move at all and cancelled the job entirely, leaving me with less than 24 hours to coordinate a move to Manhattan. This resulted in thousands of dollars of additional costs, and an extremely stressful move. I had also paid a deposit on the binding agreement, which they said they would refund, but still haven't. We have request arbitration, which they have refused to acknowledge. And it appears that they're giving themselves reviews (which I foolishly trusted) on moving websites - they're all 5-star and glowing. The few that aren't 5 star are from people in my situation - some who currently have their goods 'hostage' by these guys. DON'T use Proud American, and please help me warn others! Total scam.

PandorasBox

Re: Proud american moving network - bad report on them

Postby PandorasBox » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:40 am

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. You are much better off with a U-Haul.

To start with: We contracted with them.

They promised to contact us when our stuff was picked up. They didn't.
Our cost started at one price...then another....then double what it originally was.

We had a promised delivery date. Try 10 days later.

They would not return phone calls. After the third time I called and asked for our "personal mover", I would either be put directly to voice mail...or hung up on.

To top it off, they subcontracted our move to another company, MyMovingCentral, out of Chicago. (Avoid these people, too). Without our knowledge or permission.

Just about every piece of furniture was damaged.

$1067 packaging fees. They even re-wrapped the mattresses we had wrapped in bed bags. Taped furniture shut, so the finish came off along with the tape. Put smaller boxes into wardrobe boxes - including a box labeled HAND WEIGHTS on top of salad bowls. Needless to say, the bowls are destroyed.

We were threatened with more charges if a 53-foot truck (not the one pictured on their website) would not fit into our apartment complex. So we had to get a storage unit. Then they did not reassemble the furniture they had disassembled, as they were supposed to. Truck driver even had to ask how he was supposed to get into the storage unit driveway (hello!).

(This also meant....hiring local movers for our furniture, and do it ourselves for the other stuff)

Movers were hired help from a temp agency. Not professionally trained movers at all.

I had a stack of totes collapse because gee....all the heavy stuff was placed on the light stuff.

My fan and tool box are missing. I don't know how you lose a 4 foot pedestal fan, which should have been the first thing unloaded from our original storage unit. Bookcase and end tables completely destroyed. Even some hard plastic storage totes completely ruined, and contents damaged.

We had an in-person quote from another company, but they failed to return calls, so we had to scramble to hire movers. The other company thought our stuff was 5000 lbs. These guys charged us for almost 12,000...and never produced a weigh ticket. We never got the booklet "Your rights and responsibilities....". or arbitration info from either company.

I am in the midst of the formal complaint process, both with Proud American and US Dept of Transportation.

I also volunteer on a law forum. Interesting, a poster replied to my thread saying same company, same treatment.....

PandorasBox

Postby PandorasBox » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:47 am

PS...if you use these people, have a camera with you at delivery time. I almost guarantee your furniture or stuff will be damaged. It's best to capture the picture when the stuff is still on the truck.

Forget calling...email instead. nice evidence for the complaint process.

lyrastar

Postby lyrastar » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Our things were supposed to be delivered July 9, now the 17. Every time we call we get hung up on, sent to voicemail, or are told our things would be here "in a few days." Tell us they can't get ahold of our driver for a specific date.

Today I was able to get the driver to answer his phone (HOORAY) - he told me he has our stuff, and is in Las Vegas (6-7 hours south of me). Says he has to wait for a truck that is coming up to me, could be a couple of days. I asked if he would call before he is coming, he said yes. Company also asked him to return the check we wrote to them at the beginning of the process (uncashed). Not sure what is going on there.

For what it's worth, I realize that this company is a huge scam. When we agreed it was because we entered for a quote on what seemed like a legitimate site... we didn't have Internet at home because of our moving around so I didn't research as thoroughly as I would have normally... and they have been very tricky about posting good reviews for themselves. At this point I just want to get out the best I can with as much of my stuff as I can.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 am

Be prepared for them to ask you to give them cash in place of that original check. When it comes to scammers, untraceable is best.

Hope you get your stuff soon.

PandorasBox

Postby PandorasBox » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:10 am

Final payment with them is supposed to be postal money order or cash. I'd go with a money order.

Also be sure to have a copy of your paperwork with you.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:26 am

If you can, make a copy of the money order before you separate it from its stub.

Return to “Report A Scam”