"The Moving Guys", San Diego, CA - VERY Disreputable

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
joecon13

"The Moving Guys", San Diego, CA - VERY Disreputable

Postby joecon13 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:22 pm

Hey, for anyone out there in San Diego, I just wanted to share my less than acceptable experience with a company known as

"The Moving Guys"... Not to be confused with other reputable companies with slightly similar names. The name of the owner is Dale, and while he'll tell you, when you ask that he is "Fully Insured", this is a lie. He only carries the bare minimum transit insurance, and tries to cast this off as his excuse when his careless workers break one of your valueable possessions.

I hired them to move me, and while they seemed pretty careful very early on, they were actually quite rough with a lot of packages that were labeled "Fragile", "Glass", "Delicate", etc. Many of my boxes which were going into storage had to be re-packed with new boxes, even in the case of two "rubbermade" containers that were bent and damged beyond being useful.

The worst case was when ONE of his workers tried to handle my LG TROMM Washer/Drier (Retail cost $2,000.00) by HIMSELF (weight is approximately 200 lbs). Well, as they rolled the hand truck off the lift gate, he rolled it to one side and the machine crashed on it's face. Their response was oh well, "sh!t happens." When I called their boss, he yelled at me for getting upset and told me that I was out of luck. His insurance only covers $0.60 per pound, and that he could take about $100 off my bill. They had no remorse for his employees negligence, and even tried to blame me for this happening, since I was getting a good deal, I should have expected something like this. Finally, the crew actually blamed ME for the worker being fired, because it was my fault that I wasn't OK with them damaging my valueable possession.

These guys work cheap, but in the long run, it's going to cost you. If you DO use them, make sure that you move your more valueable possessions YOURSELF.

Has anyone else had an experience with this company?

MusicMom

Re: "The Moving Guys", San Diego, CA - VERY Disreputable

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Have you contacted the CPUC about this?

joecon13

Postby joecon13 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:34 pm

I'm not familiar with the CPUC. Can you give me more information?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:40 pm

joecon13

Postby joecon13 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:32 pm

I don't see their name in the alphabetical list as being licensed.

Where did you find them?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:34 pm

Oh nice, they have a cease and desist from the CPUC:

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:mF ... cd=1&gl=us

That should help you get these guys nailed! Their phones will be turned off once you report them for performing moving services.

joecon13

Postby joecon13 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Nancy, thank you SO much for this information, you've been very helpful. I had a certain amount of information from my research about my rights as a customer, but I was NOT aware of where I could find permit information on movers. Now I am. Again, thank you for your help.

Joe

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:57 pm

Go Nancy!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:16 pm

Does it matter that the Cease and Desist was from 2007?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:56 pm

I don't think so Farrah. They still aren't licensed.

Craig's List strikes again. When I googled the name, I got two hits. One was their listing on Craig's List, the other was a bad review on YellowPages.com. When I did it on Yahoo, I also got the CMSA article on the cease and desist order.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:31 am

Did you flag the post on Craigslist? :twisted:

alanb

Postby alanb » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:14 pm

The Moving Guys are operating without a license, and thus illegally. They have been reported so many times to the Public Utilities Commission that the PUC issues a cease and desist. Clearly the PUC is under staffed as they have done nothing since then. They could disconnect the phone number, arrest the owners, but the owner Dale knows this will never happen.

If you were a criminal and you knew the police would never come and get you, would you stop?

I suggest you call the police and file a report, I do suggest you call the PUC and speak to someone there about this.

I also suggest you contact Steve Wietekamp, the President of the CMSA. This is the California Storage and Moving Association. Their website is http://www.thecmsa.org You can find their phone number on the website. He has pull at the PUC.

Do you have an address for Dale? If you can find him you can file a small claims report and you should win for sure. I doubt he will show up as his company has no license and is operating illegally.

Please send me a private message and I will get in touch with you and tell you more.

Take care.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:00 pm

You can also contact Steve DeBolt at San Diego Mayflower, who is the past president of the CMSA, and he might have knowledge of where they are located, since he is also in San Diego... 1 800 200-6683
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

alanb

Postby alanb » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:49 am

Steve has no idea of the whereabouts of this company. I think the PUC might as they did put out a cease and desist order which was not complied with. This company systematically breaks the law and from what this post says, rips off customers.

The Moving Guys need to be stopped. If any of you would private message me, I would love to get in touch with you. We can get the CMSA and the PUC to take further action but I need someone who was actually moved by them.

Thanks so much.

Return to “Report A Scam”