Discount Moving Network

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Discount Moving Network

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:06 pm

Can anybody give me any information on this company? They have given me the lowest quote overall and have been very thorough in telling me everything that is included with that quote. The gentleman I spoke with gave me the address for this site and told me to check out a couple of the other companies I had spoken with. I've never used a moving company before, we have always done it ourselves, but this time we're going cross country and a U-haul is a lot more coslty in the long run. Any information you all can supply will be greatly appreciated.

twalker
Site Admin

Postby twalker » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:39 pm

First of all, it always makes me nervous when a moving company sends a consumer here to make themselves look good. Just because a mover gives out this web site, does not mean that they are a reputable company.

Discount Moving Network has only been in business since 9/26/2002 (red flag 1). They are based out of Hollywood, Florida (big red flag 2), and they are a moving broker not a moving company (red flag 3). They do at least have the required licenses and insurance to operate as a broker.

Remember, since they are a broker your contract is going to be with the company who's name is on the Bill of Lading, not with Discount Moving Network. The Bill of Lading is filled out by the moving company not the moving broker. That means that they can tell you whatever they want, but they have no legal liability if they hire a scam moving company for you who rips you off on moving day.

I'm not saying that DMN does this, but most brokers operate this way: they will require a deposit up front (which the sales rep keeps 25% of, and the brokerage company gets the rest). The price of the move is determined by the brokerage company, and they split that price of the move 50/50 with the moving company. Now, you tell me how many moving companies are really going to be interested in giving 50% of the price of the move to a broker (especially since you already said that DMN is offering you the lowest price already)?

If you're going to go through the work of hiring a moving company, I would recommend hiring an actual moving company, not a broker, and especially not a short-time broker out of Hollywood Florida. But that's just my opinion. You may want to read the article on this web site titled "How to Find a Reputable Mover" for more information.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Michael

Brokers

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:14 pm

Also keep in mind that brokers will also lie about their relationships with whom they do business. They will tell you they only deal with all the Big Name Companies, the United's, Mayflowers', Atlas', North Americans' and so on. And when the truth comes out, they dont. Or they deal with a particular agent of a company, yet the Head Quarters doesnt approve them. They will use the companies logos without prior approval also.

So be careful. Why go through someone else, to get to where you need to go, when you can call them direct. The deals are not any better going through a broker, then they would be if you dealt directly with the agent.

Michael
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

lotusflight

recommendation

Postby lotusflight » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:15 pm

hey...i too am moving across country (CA to FL) and am looking
for a cheaper alternative to Uhaul.

Public storage (the storage place) now moves stuff at pretty good
rates. They give you a container (7X5x8), you pack it, they pick it up, and
haul it to wherever.

There seems to be no mucky muck...but i am still waiting to here
about the negatives about public storage.

I am hoping to here something back from the folks who run this site...
but i thought i would drop you a note with the info.

best : lotusflight

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:32 pm

These "you pack - we haul" companies are relatively new to the household goods moving scene. There doesn't seem to be enough of a track record on any particular company to make an opinion on them in general. But in theory, if they know they have everything you own in a container, they could hold your goods hostage just as any scam mover can.

Michael

Cheaper??

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:41 pm

I love it, someone looking for a cheaper alternative to U-Haul.

"hey...i too am moving across country (CA to FL) and am looking
for a cheaper alternative to Uhaul. "

There's so much I want to say to this, but I will not.

But you will get what you pay for, so cheap away, and be careful.

You cant be shipping much, so why not sell everything, and buy new there. Or send all your boxes via mail or UPS.[/quote]
Michael

lotusflight

budget

Postby lotusflight » Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:08 am

in any case...the smallest uhaul truck (which i sort of need since i don't have a car) is about $3500 for a cross county move.

oddly, it seems that even the more expensive moving companies are
cheaper than uhaul (for load below 3000lbs or so).

i found out that certain storage places now also move stuff...ie. Public Storage.

i am still trying to figure how legitimate they are.
as of yet i have seen any glaring red flags...though i am still treading
lightly.

-lotusflight

Michael

SMALL MOVE

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:21 am

Most majors charge for 2100 pounds, some do 1000 pounds minimum, and some will do actually weight.

Your looking for cheap, so when you get it, dont complain about what you got from them.

And again, I would suggest, sell your big bulky items, bed, or couch, and mail the other boxes via UPS or US mail.
Michael

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:22 pm

If I could afford to replace everything I have worked for over the past 15 years, I wouldn't be concerned about the cost of the movers, now would I? I'm not looking for cheap, just the least expensive route I can take.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:23 pm

If I could afford to replace everything I have worked for over the past 15 years, I wouldn't be concerned about the cost of the movers, now would I? I'm not looking for cheap, just the least expensive route I can take.

Michael

Cheap

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:29 pm

You yourself said cheaper than u-haul. There isnt much cheaper than doing it yourself.

$3500 I believe you said to rent a u-haul. I think thats more then some movers out there. If you have a minimal amount, which now sounds like you dont.

There are a few companies out there offering containers, pods, you pack they move. I havent heard anything good nor bad about them yet.
Michael

Return to “Open Community”