No more long carry charges?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Ms_MA_Atty

No more long carry charges?

Postby Ms_MA_Atty » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:18 pm

I'm addressing this to Harry O'Brien, who's stated in a few posts that long carries are no longer chargeable items.

I'd really appreciate it if you could point me toward the reg (or whatever else it might be) that codifies this.

Tim, I can tell Mr. O'Brien's posts frequently infuriate you. I, however, find it very helpful to gain insight into the moving co.'s thought processes, and hope Mr. O'Brien will keep posting and opening up fruitful avenues of discussion. Meanwhile, keep up the good work - this site has been a good information resource for me!

Tariffs

Postby Tariffs » Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:10 pm

There is no government regulation over the moving industry's pricing anymore.

The moving industry drafts their own tariffs, which is a 400-page document that contains a schedule of rates and rules. The tariffs are basically one-sided contracts now, written by the moving industry in favor of the moving industry. They aren't filed with any government agency, and any moving company can basically change it at will. That's what happened with the "long carries." A moving company is now not supposed to charge extra for "long carries" at destination. The base rates for transportation were increased in order to compensate drivers who felt they were going to lose income (because most of the fees for "additional services" at destination including long carries went to them). Drivers get a percentage of the van line's take on every mile the goods are transported (the "linehaul"). The van lines told the drivers that since they would now make more money thru their percentage on the increased linehaul, the loss on the long carries would "average out" in the long run.

The new tariff doesn't eliminate all additional services (shuttle and extra labor are still chargeable). So eliminating the long carries just makes it a little harder for the "creative" mover who is bent in extracting extra funds from the customer.

Harry O'Brien

Postby Harry O'Brien » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:54 pm

That is correct Ms_Ma_Atty long carries no longer exist in tariff 400n.
If you used a major carrier's agency, Mayflower, United, Allied etc, and were charged "extra labor" for a longer then normal walk from the truck to your new residence I would reccomend firstly to call the moving company that you booked your move with and tell them that you were charged extra labor for a long walk or carry and you know that this is not a chargeable item any longer under tariff 400n. If they refuse to take this charge off your bill tell them that you are going to call their parent company. If they do not take the charge off your bill call the van line and the charge will be deleted.

Be sure to check your destination by calling your building manager or realty agent as well. Destination must be accessable to a tractor trailer(53ft) or you will be leavied a shuttle charge to transfer your belongings to a small truck to facilitate your delivery.

I also suggest make your "own" list of all the items that you will be shipping, including boxes, and be sure to match it to the "table of measurements " form that was left to you by your estimator.

If everything matches up your estimate will be very accurate if you have chosen a legitimate company.

Legitmate moving company's are like any othe legitimate company they simply want to be fairly compensated for the service they are providing.

Michael

Tariffs

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:10 pm

Guest,

Would you rather move with a company, that follows some sort of pricing structure, or would you rather utilize a carrier, that does things willie nillie.

Yes the tariff is structured and geared so the people moving you and loading you and driving you make money. But its a fair tariff. Wouldnt you want to get paid for a job you did, and did well?

Who dictates automobile rates? The goverment? The people? No the automobile companies do.

So being a legitimate moving company, and knowing I cant control or cheat the customer of money, cause the rates are there, I am just estimating their weight and services needed, to the best of my ability, and not saying, well gee, lets see, I want to make this and this, so your charge will be this.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

jcg

Tariffs

Postby jcg » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:48 am

I am addressing the questions regarding tariffs. The ICC (interstate commerce commission) no longer exists. It was disolved in the Clinton administration. The Branch of Govt. that took over the function of the ICC is the DOT (dept. of Transportation).

On 1/1/03 tariff 400N went into effect for all liscensed Interstate carriers. This tariff does in fact eliminate destination charges for long carries, stair carry charges, and elevator carry charges.
To make up for this the Tariff transportation rates were increased 7%. So now regardless of weather you have these conditions at delivery, everyone who moves is paying a higher price.

The only known exception to this is one carrier who elected to not adopt this new tariff, and petitioned the DOT, and was granted permission to continue using Tariff 400M from the previous year. The Carrier is Bekins Van Lines.

The transportation rates used by Bekins are from 2002, and are 7% less than current 2003 rates being used. However charges for stairs, elevators, or long carries will be charged if these conditions exist at the origin or destination residence. You see Bekins feels that only the clients that have these conditions are obligated to pay for them, and the people that dont have these conditions will not pay for them.

Every mover is required to keep a copy of the tariff for public viewing at there place of business, if you so paranoid about getting ripped off, go to the movers office, and aske them to walk you through all 400 pages of the tariff, which clearly explain all the rules and regulation that the DOT establishes for them..

Tariffs

Postby Tariffs » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:59 am

The only provisions of the tariff that the major van lines file with the Surface Transportation Board are the provisions regarding liability for loss or damage (known as the "released rates"). This is the provision regarding the $.60 per pound that the moving company pays for damage, etc.

The STB has disclaimed all responsibility for tariff provisions regarding binding and non-binding estimates. The STB says that's a consumer protection issue and it's the FMCSA's responsibility.

According to federal statute, in the trucking industry, only interstate household movers are still required to file their (complete) tariffs with the STB. The idea for keeping this requirement was to protect the least sophisticated shippers out there -- household goods moving shippers. But no one files it, and no one seems to care.

Return to “Open Community”