Boston to Long Island

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ByeByeBoston

Boston to Long Island

Postby ByeByeBoston » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:19 pm

Holy moving Batman! i wasn't stressed about my upcoming move until I looked up reviews and read about the horrible things some folks have experienced. Then I found your website -- thanks for all the work you've done here. It has lightened some of the burden.

I'm moving from Boston to Long Island the last week of April, from a 2nd floor apartment (w/elevator) to the 'burbs of Long Island, where they'll unload into the garage, so the back-end will be easy. Plus, I've got no requirements for a delivery date, since I can't unpack anyway.

There's a few terms I've run into that I'm hoping someone can clarify.

I found a post that said any move under 500 miles is a "self-haul" (Boston to LI is about 250). Can anyone explain what is is and what it means for my move? Related to this I found the term "straight truck", am wondering what that means.

Binding vs non-binding: I can't seem to sort out which is better or why. To my mind, non-binding is the winner, since I pay for the actual weight of the load. If I'm able to get rid of any of my stuff before moving day, a binding estimate would have me paying for the weight of items not being shipped. Do I have this right?

What is a CTW rebate?

I've narrowed it down to 4 companies: Roadrunner (Independent), Humboldt (United), Rainbow (North American) and Marathon (Allied). All have predominantly positive reviews, and negative feedback appears to be related mostly to poor communication. All are A+ with BBB, and have no issues with FMCSA.

Anyone who'd like to weigh in on any or all of the above is welcome. Thanks much.

Jeff.Walker

Re: Boston to Long Island

Postby Jeff.Walker » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi ByeByeBoston,
I can answer a few of your questions off the bat, but hoping one of the pros can come by and help you with the rest.

We have always recommended a "Binding-Not-To-Exceed" Quote from your moving company. This way, no matter what happens you will only pay the quoted amount. With a non-binding quote, the carrier can ask up to 110% of the quoted amount for unforeseen expenses. I had a pro straighten me out on the "Binding vs. Non-Binding" situation last year:

just to clarify, it is non-binding estimates that a carrier can only request 110% of the original estimate and is required to bill the balance to the shipper in the next 30 days. The shipper is required to pay the difference. Shippers can agree to pay the balance due in full if they wish.

As for binding and not to exceed type of estimates the carrier can only charge for the binding amount. If there are any increased charge it must be completed PRIOR to loading the shipment and done in writing showing the reasons for the change in the price. Carriers have what is called an Addendum form that will show the original charge and the revised charge and what the changes are for. If at the destination there are new charges requested or required such as shuttles, unpacking and similar services needed the carrier can request these charges at the time of service.
I've never heard of a CTW Rebate. Could be something your carrier promotes as a discount?

A "Self-Haul" typically refers to a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) move, where the shipper (that's you), rents a truck and loads and unloads themselves. Not sure what context the other post mentions this, but a "self haul" = Self Move.

As for your choices for companies, Marathon and Humboldt are both listed here, and are excellent companies with great reputations. There are several companies using the name "Roadrunner", I assume you're looking at the one near Boston:

https://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/hhg/SearchDeta ... t%3DSearch

If this is the case, they currently have no complaints with the FMCSA or the BBB.

As for Rainbow movers, again, there are several companies using this name, and at least one broker. If you can give me the DOT#, I can look them up by that and give you more information. One of the Pros may also weigh in if they've worked with them.

Good luck with your move!

chaz4moving

Boston to Long Island

Postby chaz4moving » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 am

I am making the assumption the CWT rebate terminology used on the particular estimate received by this customer is how the price reduction for the Not-to-Exceed estimate is calculated. For example, the shipment is estimated to weigh 10000 pounds and the CWT rebate is $35.00 per 100 pounds. If the shipment actually weighs 8000 pounds, the customer will receive a reduction of $700.00 off the original estimated charges.

Actually, the term "self-haul" means the agent for the van line you contracted with will haul the shipment themselves with their own local equipment and crew versus releasing the shipment to be handled by the van line. For the customer, nothing changes regarding the van line liability, etc. With many of the van lines, the local agent is responsible to cover their own shipments travelling 500 to 800 miles from the agent's location to the destination. The number of miles will vary based on the hauling rules setup by the particular van line . If the shipment is travelling in excess of the 500 to 800 miles from origin to destination, the van line fleet will usually cover the hauling of the shipment.

Hoping both of my explanations make sense. Welcome additional comments or clarification from any of the other "pros" out there.

Return to “Open Community”