1br apt + car transport Austin TX to Kansas City MO

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
tenebrae

1br apt + car transport Austin TX to Kansas City MO

Postby tenebrae » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Hey people,

These forums helped me a ton 5 years ago when I moved from California to Texas. I got hooked up with Moovers, Inc who made the transition easy.
Well, now I'm looking to move from Texas to Missouri. Apparently the 700 mile trip is "too small" for the likes of Moovers Inc now. I had a couple vanlines now refer me to ShipSmart, but their quotes were EVEN HIGHER than the vanlines! I am in shock.
I know it's been 5 years, but a 1700 mile trip cost me about $2000 back then. Now I am being quoted around $2500 for a 700 mile trip! Yes, it's summer. It was summer when I moved 5 years ago, too.
Any suggestions for me for who might be able to cut a deal?

About the scope of the move:
It's a 1 bedroom 800 sq ft. apartment. I don't have a typical set of furniture - just a couch, recliner, a couple IKEA desks, a small pine dresser, a queen mattress and box spring with metal base frame. Not even a real frame. Oh, and my boxes of stuff. WELL under the 2100 lb minimum most places have.

Also looking at possibility of enclosed car transport for my hubby's car. It's his baby. >_>

Thanks in advance.
Hubby wants me to check 2 men and a truck type places.

-T.

Jeff.Walker

Re: 1br apt + car transport Austin TX to Kansas City MO

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi Tenebrae,
I'm hoping one of the pro's will jump in before long, but I would tell you that a lot has happened in the moving industry in the last 5 years, and depending on the weight of your belongings, it may very well be $2,500 for a 700 mile trip. The 2100 lb load minimum is going to be about the same, no matter who you contact, so whether your items weigh 1500 lbs or 2099 lbs, you will probably pay about the same for a full service move.

Depending on your circumstances, if you're able/willing to have DIY move, I'd recommend either one of the container services listed on the top left hand corner of the page. If you feel you need a full-service moving company I'd make sure whoever you ask is willing to come in and give you an In-Home Estimate. Additionally, do your research on anyone you are considering. We also always recommend full valuation protection for your move to cover you in the event anything is damaged. Lastly, we've put together a list of red flags to watch out for when you move, since you've last visited us. There are actually plenty of new articles that I think you may find helpful.

If a DIY move is in the realm of possibilities, I might suggest selling/jettisoning the Ikea furniture, as they usually don't hold up well during a move.

Not sure if our car transport companies (again, on the left) have enclosed transports for cars, but I'd check with both of them to see.

I know this may not be everything you were wanting to hear, but we'd rather see you safe, than sorry.

Let us know if you need any further help.

- Jeff

tenebrae

Postby tenebrae » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I typically shop smart for furniture, so all the IKEA stuff I have is pretty solid and portable (I don't do particle board after I ended up nearly crushed under a junky cheap wardrobe a few moves back). Would you believe my sectional couch fit into the back of a Honda Accord??

I checked with the car transport guys on this site, and they don't service my route unfortunately. :(

I guess I might end up going with U-Pack's Relocube service. So far, that's the most affordable I've seen. Hubby and I have bad backs and would REALLY prefer somebody else to drive, and will need to have people load and unload.

-T.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:17 am

Just ran a few numbers and I am thinking that, depending on the dates you need to load, you are getting reasonable quotes for your move. Your mover should be able to assist with relocating your vehicle using a reputable car carrier.

tenebrae

Postby tenebrae » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:59 pm

That's so depressing. :( I wasn't thinking I'd have to spend more than $1500 on the moving, and definitely not more than $2k.
So far, the ABF U-Pack is looking like that's what it'll be.
I found Montway Auto Transport for the car and think that might be a good deal, too. I'll go over the links and red flags before solidifying anything.
Looks like the move will happen mid-August. The house just closed! :D

-T.

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:32 pm

Congratulations! And good luck!

Return to “Open Community”