Complaints against moving companies on the rise

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jeff.Walker

Complaints against moving companies on the rise

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:57 pm

NYCMover

Re: Complaints against moving companies on the rise

Postby NYCMover » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:06 pm

Not to belittle anyone's negative experience or pain with/caused by some operators within the moving industry - but the vast majority of consumers get moved with little or no significant issues at all. According to studies done by the U.S. Census and other sources, approximately 12% of the American Public moves each year. With a current population of 282,000,000 people, let's assume each household has 2.5 people average. That means about 13,536,000 household moves were done last year.

Let's further assume 2/3 of the moves done were local; did not cross a state line and would not fall under FMCSA jurisdiction. If that is even close to being correct, then somewhere around 4,466,880 interstate moves were done last year. The news report linked to in Jeff's post above says that the FMCSA received more than 30,000 complaints last year. If that is the case then (on the average) the feds received 1 complaint for each 148 moves completed. This means that less than 0.68% of all U.S. interstate moves resulted in a consumer filing a federal complaint. Taken another way, it means that 99.32% of moves were done (1) either well enough that the customer did not feel compelled to complain to the FMCSA or (2) whatever problems that occurred were resolved to at least some level without contacting the feds or (3) the customer had a bad experience but just wanted to be done with it and did not want to pursue the matter any further.

I'm not saying that this industry is perfect by a long shot, but it is predominantly filled with hard-working and honest people that work very hard, miss their families and break their backs (literally) trying to do a good job for their customers. The bad apples in the bunch are always getting the headlines and in all my 30+ years in the business - I have yet to see any media outlet close their headline-grabbing segment about "evil movers" with any of the information I just supplied above - and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the industry (overwhelmingly) does a good job. But then again, good news doesn't get the ratings, does it?

Good luck with your move! :)

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Fri May 01, 2015 7:09 am

You're absolutely right, NYCMover, the vast majority of moving companies out there consist of hard working people who want nothing more than to have their customer's moves come off without a hitch.

As you know, and this *is* a tragedy, is that people don't typically say much to a job well done. A person that has been ripped off, is motivated to say something because they're angry, hurt, resentful, etc. That doesn't make it right, and I've certainly done my part to try to motivate people to write about the good things as well as the bad.

Yes, bad news does equal ratings, but if this sort of thing wasn't still going on, there would be nothing to report on.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Fri May 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Good points, Jeff and the scams will continue to go on as long as government agencies don't have the manpower to investigate and/or legislation with real "teeth" to punish the unlicensed and deceptive operators.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 01, 2015 3:21 pm

I have to say, though, that having been at this site for more than a decade, there are significantly fewer complaints being written here than there used to be. Seems 2005-8 were the worst years.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Sat May 02, 2015 12:28 am

Hi MusicMom,

That's true and probably because the number of household moves done was much higher during the years that preceded the Great Recession and the collapse of the housing market. Back in 2005 (for example() we would frequently walk into someone's home and you would hear something like, "Wow! I put my house on the market last week and it sold in 3 days. When can you come in and do a full pack and move?" The main concern was often whether we could get there quickly and service the job, with less emphasis on what the cost was going to be.

Return to “Open Community”