Move from Ca to KS

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Panda_Mama

Move from Ca to KS

Postby Panda_Mama » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:34 pm

HI.

This website was recommended by a friend, I'm hoping to get some advice. My small family of 3 will be moving from California to Kansas in July, and we are looking to find a mover (mostly because we can't find a moving truck cheap enough to justify moving ourselves). I was on the phone with Alliance Moving Company, and decided that out of all the people I've been talking to they were a good option. I put a (refundable) down payment down. But I noticed that because I didn't get an in-house estimate, this is a big problem. However, we have stuff in two houses, with most of our stuff in a storage unit - how can I go about getting someone to estimate the costs? Also, I haven't been able to find any local movers that go across country? So, I've decided to get back my deposit; it just doesn't feel right. However, that leaves me again with no mover and not sure what to do to get across the country? Anyone recommend someone? How can I get a good estimate with our stuff in different places? Any help/advice would be awesome!

:D

MusicMom

Re: Move from Ca to KS

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:17 pm

Good call! We've had several complaints about Alliance. Did they tell you they were a broker and not the actual mover? Send them a certified letter, return receipt requested, canceling your move with them. You don't have to be fancy, just say you will not be using their services and you will be expecting an immediate and full refund. Don't expect an email or a phone call to meet their legal requirements.

What town are you moving from? I'm sure we can help you find a mover who will.come to your house to see everything to be moved before giving you an estimate, which is the only way to really get a solid idea of the price. As well as you know your stuff, you are not a trained professional wh can determine the size of your load.

When do you need to move?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 pm

In case you're wondering about what I said, here is Alliance's record. Check out the number of complaints. They aren't even in CA, they're in NY.
http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/hhg/SearchDetai ... t%3DSearch

Panda_Mama

Postby Panda_Mama » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi. Thanks so much. I sent an email to alliance, that's what their contract said to do. I'm so glad that I got a response! We are moving out of Santa maria, ca to Olathe, Ks. We plan to move this upcoming July, 2015.

Thanks again.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:42 pm

I guess you're right.
http://alliancemovingservices.com/resources/
Maybe send a fax and print the confirmation report just to be sure, or get a response email from them confirming they are cancelling. You're well within the timeframe.

First, go to the Superlist for CA (go back to the Open Community and look just above your post, CA is on page 1). Make a few calls and explain your dual location. I promise it's nothing they haven't heard before. Get booked as soon as possible because the summer is busy, and do your best to remain flexible.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Moving company estimators are commonly asked to visit multiple locations to get an accurate weight estimate. Seeing what needs to be moved is the best way, and it should be no trouble for them to visit each location.

If your estimator cannot see the items inside a storage unit, there are two simple methods to estimating the weight. The first is by asking you to list the items that you know are in there including an approximate number of cartons. The second way is to calculate weight by using a formula of 7 lbs per cubic foot of "stuff" you have in your unit. This is common in our industry to determine the weight of household goods (furniture and boxes combined) when loaded into a truck.
Example: you have a 10 x 10 unit, and your "stuff" would stack up to 5 feet high if loaded densely. 10 x 10 x 5 = 500 cubic feet x 7 lbs = 3500lbs.
Good luck.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”