Moving from VA to OR

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
westboundsign

Moving from VA to OR

Postby westboundsign » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I are moving from Virginia to Portland, and I'm looking for advice. We're moving our 1br apartment, and trying to get a deal under, or around 2 grand. Is this even possible? We're willing and able to pack ourselves (we load/unload gear at our jobs frequently, and he consistently amazed his supervisor at his last job with the speed and quality of his truck packs), and we've got most of our apartment ready to move to a storage unit while we wait for our cross-country moving day. We'll be renting our own truck to take it to the unit.

From what I've gathered - renting your own truck seems to be horrendously expensive: $2000-2600, plus over $1k in gas, plus tolls and whatnot. Moving companies seem to vary, and I'm having a touch of trouble finding an affordable price for one that seems legit. Plus, I'm really paranoid about having them in control of my stuff. I refuse to have anyone touch my stuff while I'm not there to supervise, so that means no switching trucks midway through the trip, as it seems some companies like to do. The cubes seem like a great option, but I'm not sure if we can fit everything we want to take in a 6x7x8 cube, even with our combined skills. Additionally, these seem to run around $2600.

My boyfriend accidentally went with a broker (National Moving Group) and paid them a $600something deposit, but he's already requested it back and they have a 72 hour return policy, so we should be good on that. They kept saying, "well, yes we're a broker, but for real, we're a moving company! Seriously, we're totally a moving company." They also kept insisting that they're accredited with the BBB, bbbut, thats obviously not true: http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/b ... l-90113540
I think we've got the situation with these guys under control, if the refund doesn't appear in a few days we're going to write them a letter and take it up with the bank. We've got the phone calls recorded, so the evidence is very much in our favor.

tl;dr, moving our 1br apt from VA to OR, and we would like a self-pack option for around $2000. I'm talking to a few moving companies right now, but if anyone could steer me in the right direction, that would be super awesome :)

Does anyone have any advice?

MusicMom

Re: Moving from VA to OR

Postby MusicMom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:35 am

Make sure you cancel with the broker by sending a certified letter return receipt requested to their office. Over the phone or by email often isn't enough.

I'm not sure you can make that price, but if you're willing to do the labor yourself then I recommend calling ABF or Broadway Express. I've used BE myself twice and highly recommend them. Thry are both freight haulers, and will load your belongings into an empty truck, put freight in the remaining space, deliver the freight, then bring your load to you. The main difference between the two is that ABF uses spring ride trailers and BE uses air ride, which is a bit softer on belongings packed by non-professionals. Neither will gice you good protection with insurance so consider your packing skills when deciding.

Good luck, and keep up posted! I made the opposite move in 2003 and I miss the sight of Mt. Hood.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Moving companies seem to vary, and I'm having a touch of trouble finding an affordable price for one that seems legit. Plus, I'm really paranoid about having them in control of my stuff. I refuse to have anyone touch my stuff while I'm not there to supervise

Reputable moving companies will likely start at around $4000 for a small move like yours, based on 2100lbs minimum weight. Then you'll likely be given a delivery spread of 10-16 days after a travel period of 7 days. They will also likely load your things using a small tuck and bring it back to their warehouse in order to consolidate your things with other shipments going west.
With all that in mind, because you seem physically capable, and with how you feel about losing control, you might be best off renting a truck and taking your own things. It'll be less expensive, you'll have control, and a guaranteed delivery date of the same day you arrive.
Good luck.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

skingsland

Postby skingsland » Sun May 31, 2015 11:45 am

How did your move turn out? I'm doing almost the same move as you in August, moving an 870 sq ft apt (1 BR plus den) from Northern VA to Salem, OR, just south of Portland. The quotes I've gotten from Victory Van Corp, Hilldrup, Lawrence Transportation Systems, Town & Country, Ramar, and JK Moving have all been right around $6000. ABF U-Pack would only be $4000 for 2 ReloCubes, but that doesn't include loading, unloading and insurance. Broadway Express was only $3000 for 10' of trailer space, but the delivery window is too big.

The main problem I'm facing is that most movers have a wide delivery window, but I'm trying to time this move carefully to include some sightseeing along the way, and having time to unpack everything before starting a new job exactly 2 weeks after our load date. So far only container movers (Hilldrup and ABF so far) have been able to give me a narrow delivery window.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:56 pm

I think you're going to have to be more flexible. You're in the peak busy season and there are so many loads being handled right now that nobody is going to be able to bend for your needs without a significant price increase. Also consider that a chock-full moving industry means any little delay can start a domino effect down the line. One customer loads up more stuff than was supposed to go, or wasn't completely packed and ready to go, or a truck breaks down, or severe weather, and everything behind it is thrown off. You can't assume that your truck will appear right on the 8th day after loading. Giving a wide window manages the expectations of customers and anticipates problems. Also, BE will have freight to deliver so that time is added onto yours, but you save a bit in price.

skingsland

Postby skingsland » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:23 pm

@MusicMom, what do you think is the best approach to getting my stuff out there within the shortest possible delivery window, without additional cost? Am I right in thinking that container movers (e.g. Hilldrup or Ramar), who are guaranteeing me a specific delivery day, are the best approach?

You make good points about peak season, and crowded delivery schedules. But I'd still rather have a 1-3 day window, even if delivery ends up being a bit late, than a truck move with a 6-18 day (JK Moving) or 9-17 day window (BE).

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:47 am

In order to guarantee a window, you have to do dedicated service (where your load is the only one on the truck) which is exorbitantly expensive. If you have a guaranteed window from at least two companies, those are likely going to fit your needs best, if you can work around those dates.

A pro will drop in to give some more information on how the service logistics work in peak season, which will be far more valuable information than I can give.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:14 am

To skingsland,

The container moves are the most logical choice for you if a guaranteed delivery date or tiny delivery window is such a big issue. Contact both of the vendors, get the inside dimensions of the containers and make sure everything you have will fit inside. Bear in mind that there are certain items movers will not accept in a containerized move, notably crated, fragile pieces, Tempurpedic or other high-density foam mattresses (cannot travel standing upright or on their side - must be shipped flat) or very dense, heavy items such as upright pianos.

Good luck with your move :)

skingsland

Postby skingsland » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Since I'm driving out to Oregon with my wife, every day I cut from the delivery window is another day we can spend with family in Chicago, or hiking in Badlands National Park, camping in Glacier NP, visiting wineries in Walla Walla, etc. So the delivery window is just as important to me as the cost.

Hilldrup has given me a binding quote for 3 containers with a 1 day delivery window, for a cost that's a little less than the truck move quotes I've gotten. I have no idea how they're able to guarantee a single delivery day 3 months out, and I'd probably think it was too good to be true if they weren't one of the recommended moving companies on this site.

Hilldrup is with United Van Lines; are there any other van lines' moving companies in the DC area that do full service container moves? It would be nice to get another quote for a container move, since all of the truck move quotes I've gotten have had 4-8 day delivery windows.

EDIT: I just found this thread from last summer discussing United full-service container moves, and the main concerns I can see are the length of my couch (Hilldrup said they can accommodate up to 91" and mine is less than that), and the fact that our belongings might/will be transported via a freight carrier without the cushy "air ride" suspension that regular tractor trailer trucks use:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24899&p=154805

Return to “Open Community”