Advice on Chicago to AZ Move...Please Help

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hamhock313

Advice on Chicago to AZ Move...Please Help

Postby hamhock313 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi,

I am moving from Waukegan, IL to Goodyear, AZ. I have looked at the Superlist and there are a TON of moving companies in the Chicago area that I am not sure where to start. If anyone has a recommendation on who to use from that list it would be greatly appreciated.

I am on a very tight budget of $2,000, and not sure if that is even doable. I received a quote from STI Movers but have read some very poor reviews on them and don't want to go with them.

I have also tried ABF but they are coming in at around $2,900. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

BillAdams

Re: Advice on Chicago to AZ Move...Please Help

Postby BillAdams » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:51 am

Choose two movers from the Superlist to schedule in-home estimates for accuracy.
Be prepared to pay around $1 per pound for a small load to AZ, without packing. Most movers have a minimum weight requirement of 2000lbs.
For a ballpark estimate of weight, figure 1000lbs -1500lbs per room, depending on how lightly or heavily furnished your home is.
Example: 2 bedroom apt is 4 rooms, or 4000-6000lbs.
If you are looking for a professional and trustworthy company to handle your move, you may have to reconsider that $2000 budget.
Be flexible with dates, do your own packing, and by all means get rid of things you don't really love in order to reduce cost.
Good luck.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”