Info on local Atlanta movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
horn66

Info on local Atlanta movers

Postby horn66 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:08 pm

6 mile local move of 2800 sf home in Alpharetta, GA. Research lead me to call Mark the Mover and learned they do not come out to do in-house estimate. Needless to say I am confused as to why movingscam.com gives a thumbs up to Mark the Mover when on their "how to find a reputable mover" page it clearly states "if they won’t come to your house to do an in-home estimate, hang up and find another company"?

Thanks!

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Info on local Atlanta movers

Postby twalker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:50 pm

I moved this thread from the reviews forum to the open community where it's more relevant.

Tim Walker

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:27 am

Primarily this is due to the many good reviews this company has had over the years at MovingScam.com. You are correct, we do not advocate that you go with a mover who will not perform an in-home estimate. However, the "thumbs up" in this case refers to the reported quality of work this company does rather than their methodology, particularly since an in-home estimate will give you a more accurate quote.

Did they give you a reason why they wouldn't come to your house?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:59 am

Except that for local moves, especially for such a short distance of 6 miles, an in-home estimate isn't as necessary because you'll be paying by the hour, rather than by weight of the load for interstate moves.

This is not an issue. Get their estimate (cost per hour) and number of guys coming out to load, and compare to at least 2 other local movers.

horn66

Postby horn66 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:37 pm

I didn't ask why they wouldn't come out so I'll call and find out. Based on my square footage they quoted 4-6 hrs of packing and 7-9 hrs of actual move (6 ppl/2 trucks). Hilldrup came out today and quoted 16 hrs (4 ppl/1 truck) moving 16,000 pounds. Maybe I'm missing something but seems like a big difference to me. Another company is coming tomorrow.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:12 am

Yes, that is indeed a big difference. When you call them, note that you would really feel better if a rep looked at your house because another mover is saying you have quite a lot of stuff. If they won't, then you simply move on to another company. There's plenty there in Atlanta.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:02 am

There is no substitute for a visual on site survey....in this case, the phone survey appears to be about half of what the visual survey...so visualize what would have happened had a visual not been performed...the crew would have had a 2 day job instead of a 1 day job, and the customer would have been charged for 2 days when they were expecting a one day job.

been there, done that, it ain't fun. Visual survey is the best option.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:11 am

I do phone estimates on smaller local moves, but prefer to do in-home estimates on larger moves. The square footage of your home has less to do with the estimate than the weight.
Yours is a larger move, and if you prefer Mark, I'm pretty sure they'll come out.
Based on 16,000lbs, my experience tells me that 4 movers will take 16 hours to load and deliver. if you use 6 movers, it should take 11 hours.
These estimates assume good access for the trucks to park close to each home, and you are moving from and to single family homes (not buildings with elevators or stairs).
A.C. White (Mayflower) has a nice reputation in your area.
Ask for references before booking your move.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:40 pm

Send a PM to ArchieWhite. His headquarters is in Atlanta. AC White United.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”