NEGATIVE Review of DARYL FLOOD (failed move attempt; horrible experience)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
falzman

NEGATIVE Review of DARYL FLOOD (failed move attempt; horrible experience)

Postby falzman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:15 am

Place: Frisco, Texas, U.S. (Dallas - Ft.Worth Metroplex)
Destination: South of Sicily, Italy
Time: Oct.04, 2012

Daryl Flood door-to-door Quote:
- $5.000, including insurance – damage, mold & mildew, electrical & mechanical derangement.
- Volume-only
- 200 cu.feet liftvan
- 21.25/cu.ft (without the insurance)

As per recommendations on movingscam.com, I have looked up 5 top-rating international movers and requested quotes from all of them (Rainier, Daryl Flood, Sterling and forget who else). Two top bidders were Rainier & Daryl Flood. Each time Rainier gave me better terms, D.Flood hurriedly matched it.

I have obtained volume-based quote from both.
Rainier’s insurance was slightly higher rate with all other parameters being the same, so I went with Daryl Flood first. What a mistake.

First of all, I know how to do a lot of things myself (I know that I can spend some time and build better crates for my prized tools than anybody; I’m working for myself, not for the money). I am a bit of a control freak. If I am not fully convinced, it’s impossible to make me just go along. And I’m often right. However, I just as often wear people’s patience thin. All in all – the truth is that I’m a difficult customer.

(By the way, putting the cart in front of the horse - 100% of my stuff arrived in perfect shape shipped via Rainier. Tools work. Nothing damaged. Nothing broken. Nothing wet. I packed most of it. Rainier's agent I was working with asked me to make detailed list of each packed crate/box, they checked the contents, and did NOT try to switch stuff out of my crates/boxes into their boxes). One 2-dollar small and unimportant plastic box got bent – and that piece was in one of the few last-minute boxes that the Rainier’s mover guys did pack, but I’m not going to even count that).

I nad a couple of conditions that were a must:
1) I wanted to build my own crates for my fairly large table saw, my huge chop saw, my 1.000.00-dollar custom-built bicycle, and my 48”x24”x19” aquarium. I didn’t have the original boxes for the power tools, so I had to make sure that they were were bolted to the crates from inside, and couldn’t shift inside them; no pressure sideways on the head of the chop saw), so that everything would arrive damage-free. I also wanted to pre-pack all crates (subject to inspection if required by the movers, as long as they put everything back the way it was). All contents to be insured. The chop saw crate ended up being extremely heavy (easily 300 lbs).
2) I wanted to pad the aquarium with foam and fill it with light-weight empty plastic mini-drawer chests, since I couldn’t justify shipping it empty. To be 100% insured for damage as well.

I have seen somebody from D.Flood in person only once (before the move date) – when some 20-yr old girl came to do an estimate. It went like that:
“By the way, did you see that rather heavy compressor in the box over there?” “Uh, OK…”
“Did you see that extremely heavy box filled with glass and pounds of bolts&nuts over here?” “Uh, OK…”
Maybe I’m too judgemental. She only underestimated the weight of the load by 1,200 lbs…

All further interactions were via e-mail, Skype and phone. The D.F. agent was very patient and professional when it came to explaining costs, answering general questions and such. However, me being in Dallas, Tx and him in Another State - how much could he really do?
At first he told me I may not build my crates, they wouldn’t insure the contents. (Extra $500 if D.Flood contracts a guy to build them). Then, when he found out that it was OK with Rainier, he said OK, too.
He requested some pictures and dimensions of crates and that was all, he never asked how heavy they would be (I gave him estimated weights of my own accord); nobody ever bothered to come and look at the crates (as opposed to 4 (FOUR!) visits from Rainier’s local agent, Robert Wright from Atlantic Relo, who gave some very sound advice on crate building).
The D.F. agent knew, that the crates would be very heavy. He had the dimensions and approx weights. He KNEW that the load would be VERY dense and that I needed a sturdy lift-van, it was talked about a lot. He KNEW that the aquarium would be filled with “stuff”.
I was promised, there would be “no problems” with all my special requests.

When I went to pay for the move, I preferred to pay cash, since D.Flood requested 100% pre-paid before they’d come to my door. I wanted to move fast once I was ready, and I didn’t feel comfortable to ship my debit card info via e-mail, and then have it CC’d to God knows how many people and sitting in God knows how many on-line mailboxes.
So, I just pulled the money out of the bank and took it to them. Daryl Flood has a nice huge and shiny warehouse in DFW area; they barely let my past the door - "the company policies". (As opposed to Rainier’s agent Atlantic Relo: Robert Wright showed me around their warehouse, explained all procedures, we picked up the best liftvan they had available, they brought a fork-lift, took it down from the top of the stack, and in my presence put my name on it. It was later on brought to my house to be loaded. To my great surprise it was even lined in brand-new plastic top to bottom.)

While gathering preliminary info and getting quotes, I was talking privately with someone from the movingscam.com forum, who had worked in the moving business for a long time, and he told me that the key for my particular load would be to have a good sturdy liftvan.
In fact, my load ended up being 3-4 times heavier that a “normal” load of household goods, because I was shipping a lot of tools, tons of hardware, and even slipped in about 7 gallons of pea-gravel that was in my aquarium (in little baggies here and there, where I had room). You can laugh all you want, but I looked all over the place in my destination area, and couldn’t find anything like what I had, all I found were huge ugly and expensive rocks. :) Volume-only quotes are good!

Well, come the day of the supposed move, the Daryl Flood guys show up with CRUMMY, MOLDY liftvan, that couldn’t stand straight on its own without the front face nailed on, and nails being loose everywhere along the long sides of it. There was a crack in the middle of the bottom pice of plywood. No 2x4 “foot” in the middle either. Forget the plastic lining inside – none of that.
I got on the phone with the rep, saying it wouldn’t work. He got on the phone with someone else... Long story short, after an hour or hour and a half, a local manager comes to my house – and tries to convince me that the liftvan “is just fine and will be just fine, but” if I really insisted they would “transfer the contents in another liftvan” at the warehouse. Realistically – what would be the chances of them spending another half-a-day actually doing that? Especially, when the customer wouldn’t be there to make sure (they don't let the customer past the door of they shiny establishment)?
(Again, as opposed to Rainier Overseas Movers. Nobody's perfect; Rainier guys showed at my doorstep with 2 liftvan options, non of which was the one that was selected earlier, and prepared for me. However, Mr. Wright, the agent I was working with all along, immediately sent the driver back to the warehouse to pick up the right liftvan, while the other packer worked on getting the stuff ready to be loaded. What a difference in attitude! "Reloading at the warehouse" option was never even suggested.)

The next thing that happened, the movers started throwing my stuff out of my huge chop saw crate (that I spent 2-3 days packing) and throwing it every which way into their flimsy cardboard boxes. I asked what they were doing – and they said it was “too heavy for their guys to handle it”. (This same crate was handled just fine by 2 guys from Rainier later on; no complaints; and Rainier guys were shorter and smaller than the Daryl Flood ones…) Hmm. D.Flood people knew all that before I even signed the quote. Why did the rep lie abot “no problems” then? With all due respect, I don’t know if he’s ever been in a moving warehouse, and he does not sound like he ever held a saw or a drill in his hand.

Next, they said that I either had to ship the aquarium empty or sign a waiver on the insurance (i.e. it would not be insured AT ALL). Again, I was lied to about it being a “no problem”. (This same aquarium in the same darn crate, filled to the brim, was accepted and 100% insured for damage, loss & scratches by Rainier no problem.)

When I do things, I make sure the other party is aware of every detail, and is OK with it. I was told by the D.Flood working-out-of-home-in-another-state agent (remember, I was in Texas all along, and him some 800 miles away!) that everything was OK on their end. I guess, in a huge corporation like Daryl Flood information gets lost as it passes through the channels.
I deliberately do not name any names here, because the agent did everything he possibly could for me and was very nice.

So… I was unhappy with the development of the situation. The D.Flood manager said that I could ship my chop saw crate as oferflow (i.e. separately) for another $750, and I still had to ship the aquarium empty if I wanted it covered. I was hesitant. When I almost accepted – the manager himself started saying that maybe me and Daryl Flood weren’t “right for each other”.
End of story. The movers went where they came from together with their garbage liftvan (some other poor soul must have gotten it...). I took a couple of tranquilizers.
Very traumatic experience.

The only good words I can say about Daryl Flood – they refunded me 100% very promptly, their personnel was very polite and correct.

DARYL FLOOD'S LIFTVAN. You can't see half of it's "wonders" in a photograph.

Image Image

Jeff.Walker

Re: NEGATIVE Review of DARYL FLOOD (failed move attempt; horrible experienc

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:00 am

Moved to "Open Community" Forum, as Daryl Flood is not currently an endorsed mover.

falzman

Postby falzman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 am

Jeff, did I mistakenly think that D.Flood was endorsed by your site, while it never was?

Enlighten me, please.

wbrill

Postby wbrill » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:06 pm

I am the VP/General Manager of Daryl Flood International and I was on-site during the day of packing for Ms. Ira Falzman.

I have been in the international relocation industry for over 15 years and worked in management positions across multiple cities in multiple countries. I have managed international relocations for thousands of customers representing a broad range of nationalities and cultures. In this time, I have only pulled the moving crew from ONE job site and cancelled the job while in progress. This singular incident was for Ms. Ira Falzman.

There were some unusual circumstances surrounding this move but for the sake of confidentiality I will not go into detail. Our company has certain operating standards and packing procedures that we are not willing to compromise; especially in cases where the health and safety of our crew is at risk. For the sake of our reputation and the health and safety of our staff, I made the decision to pull the crew off the job and give Ms. Falzman a full refund.

I am glad to hear she eventually found a company to handle her move and I wish her the best of luck in her future endeavors.
W Brill

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi falzman,
While Daryl Flood does show up in our Super List (with some very good reviews, I might add), they have never been an endorsed mover. All the endorsed movers on this web site show up at the right hand side of the forums and the home page.

I am actually very sorry to hear that you had such a difficult experience with Daryl Flood, as they are largely regarded as being one of the best movers in the moving industry. I am pleased that Rainier was able to accommodate you as seen by your review here:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22702

And I actually added it to the Review Verification system here:

http://www.movingscam.com/reviews/index ... y&mid=1718

All in all I'd say your move turned out pretty well. Despite your experience with Daryl Flood, they did, in fact return your money and the only thing you lost was time. I certainly don't mean to minimize your inconvenience, as I'm certain it was a frustrating day. But all in all, things could have turned out a lot worse than they did in the end.

Jeff

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:54 am

Mr. Brill, thank you for chiming in, and most of all thank you for maintaining confidentiality even in the face of protecting your image.

I too am glad the customer ended up with a good move.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Movingscam needs a section called 'difficult customers' where professional movers could come to tell their side of all these stories.

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:30 pm

We had that up and running at rightmover.com Archie, but nobody used it, so we took it down.

Jeff

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Jeff.Walker wrote:We had that up and running at rightmover.com Archie, but nobody used it, so we took it down.

Jeff

I'm sorry I missed that, I could have filled a few volumes....when it comes to moving, some people are not happy unless they are not happy.

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:37 pm

I know a few people like that, and they've never even moved. :-)

promover2

Postby promover2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:21 pm

I've got to side with Mr. Brill and Archie here. If a mover loads an international-bound container (sea container, lift van, D-Container, etc.) without verifying what's inside any PBO (Packed By Owner) boxes, there could be some significant consequences. Also, tools, hardware, sand, etc. make for heavy crates. So if the mover has to veryify the contents, maximize density and avoid worker's comp claims by avoiding lifting PBO crates filled with tools, what's the harm in re-packing a few boxes? It sounds like it was a flat price, so it wouldn't have raised costs. I think Darryl Flood handles thousands of international moves a year for the employees of a major oil company. I think they were smart to walk away from this one. Difficult customer indeed.

Noone

Postby Noone » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 pm

I think the headline misses the point. The point is NOT that Darryl Flood couldn't do the job to the shipper's expectations, but that Rainier could.

I think it would be much more appropriate to headline this "Great Service by Rainier".

I have to wonder why the shipper didn't think of that - rather only that another company couldn't fill his needs.

Return to “Open Community”