Is Yelp a Reliable website

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
JAHaddow

Is Yelp a Reliable website

Postby JAHaddow » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:06 pm

As the owner of an international moving company I have urged the use of internet rating sites such as the BBB and Yelp. I now am concerned that the ratings that you may find are not quite right. I am specifically talking about Yelp. Our company has a bad rating due to two complaints that appear on the first page of Yelp when they search our company. We did respond and defend ourselves in an accurate and truthful manner.

We have had eight other customers that have gone onto Yelp and posted good reviews. All eight were from legitimate customers. I have absolute proof of this. Yet, the website Yelp has hidden all eight of these legitimate reviews in their "Filtered" section. You can see these if you can even see the light grey filtered tab at the bottom of the reviews and go the their difficult Captcha system.

When I did a search of our company and clicked the review I immediately saw an ad for another moving company with lots of stars. Of course the words Yelp ad are in a light color and not noticeable

Then I did a search about this issue and find many complaints by other businesses that are having the same problem. They are saying that a Yelp salesperson will call and is demanding that they place ads on their websites and if they do, the bad reviews will go away and the filtered will return and their star rating will improve dramatically.

What this says to me is that Yelp is not to be considered a legitimate resource for people to review a moving company. I have started a blog called : www.theyelpscam.com to bring this issue to the forefront.

I urge all people to NOT use Yelp until they correct this serious problem and make their websites return to being a real source of real information and not just an advertising site that promotes those who pay to have the good ratings. If Yelp and their algorithms are wrong, they need to give companies the ability to prove that their positive ratings are legitimate and stop filtering these reviews. They need to make their site what it was intended to be.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

MusicMom

Re: Is Yelp a Reliable website

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:33 am

If that's indeed what is happening, then Yelp is not a good site. I don't doubt it at all; I created an account solely to write a scathing review of an extremely disappointing restaurant visit (everything that could go wrong from ineptness did), and despite trying three times, my review never became visible, and Yelp never responded to my inquiries. The restaurant had nothing but ultra-positive reviews of the planted-looking variety.

The RipOff Report was outed as doing the same thing. That's why I stopped reading or responding there.

You should read this blog detailing the up and down history of this filtering thing: http://pixsym.com/blog/reputation-manag ... it-in-2012

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:03 am

I have had the same issues with Yelp.
I saw 2 bad reviews so I started to ask my legit happy customers to go to the Yelp site to post their reviews. They did, and I had 7 great reviews in no time - until they were filtered out by the Yelp site.

Then the sales rep called to sell me ads that will appear when people are visiting other movers reviews.

I asked if I purchased their ads could I have my good reviews appear and he said he has no way of doing that.

I chose not to do business with Yelp and I agree that that site is not objective and should not be used to find businesses.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

PaigeHolden

Postby PaigeHolden » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 am

Yelp has had a dishonorable reputation for quite some time, which is unfortunate because it could have had tremendous value for consumers and companies alike.

There is no clear rhyme or reason as to why certain reviews appear on Yelp and others do not - except, of course, the level of advertising that companies sign up for. The sales people use the fear of negative reviews to bully companies into buying ads. It's really a disgrace.

I do not recommend or use Yelp for anything anymore, including restaurants and bars.
Paige Holden

INTL-GUY

Postby INTL-GUY » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Yelp and the rest of them are businesses just like the BBB. At the end of the day the most important thing is there bottom line not the customer.

I know of a company that has over 200 complains with the BBB with an A+ rating. I also know of a company that opened up shop last year, has 5 complaints with an A+ rating, how does that work?

I know this is about yelp but, I couldn’t help but to throw that in there.

My company rec’d a complaint on Ripoffreport.com a couple years back for something beyond our control (customs inspection), so I contacted the owner of Ripoffreport (Ed Magdeson) to see about getting it removed and what he basically said was “ for $7000 down $500 a month you can join the corporate advocacy program and have your complaint removed”. They’re all BS in my opinion but, that’s just my opinion.
True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.
-Socrates

chptrkrules

Postby chptrkrules » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Yelp sucks, and I hope bad things happen to everyone there. Not real bad things, maybe herpes or something that stays with them forever, like their crappy posted reviews that are obviously fake or just sour grapes from a pissed off customer that lies because they didn't get what they wanted. They don't even care if it's a competitor trying to hurt another companies rep.

We have way more positive than negative reviews on that stupid site, but the bad ones, especially the negative ones that are lies are the ones people tend to focus on.

Screw Yelp

MoveProEvansville

Postby MoveProEvansville » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:37 pm

Yelp is garnering a reputation as "dishonest". It obviously does well for "companies" wanting to get a free listing and increase web traffic. However, many of our clients have written reviews only to find they never get published. ??? Makes no sense to me, but there are plenty of respectable sites that are accurate and honest in their review procedures.

onedesigntalk

Postby onedesigntalk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Has anyone tried to bury their negative Yelp rating in the search engines result page?

http://bury-bad-review.blogspot.com/201 ... serps.html

Return to “Open Community”