First time moving interstate (WI to VA), need advice!!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
iphoneeeeee

First time moving interstate (WI to VA), need advice!!

Postby iphoneeeeee » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Moving from Milwaukee, WI to Fairfax, VA. Got a quote from 3 interstate movers (name of the local Milwaukee mover in parenthesis):

Mayflower (Boulevard): 3400 lbs $3000 BOUND estimate

NA van lines (Beltman group) : 2800 lbs $2100 not bound

Allied (Behrens): 2900 lbs $2100 not bound

Here are my questions:

1. Any experience with these Milwaukee movers? For what its worth, I checked the BBB ratings for these companies and they were A+. (i also checked the sticky thread with mover reviewers but didnt have any info on these movers and also seemed dated -2006)

2. The NA van lines and Allied couldn’t provide a bound estimate. Is that a problem? Or should I be able to trust their word that the estimate is legitimate? (granted the size in lbs doesn’t change)

3. They all said to expect a transit time of 4-12 days. Worse case scenario if it doesn’t get to me within 12 days, what’s my legal recourse? I heard that I have to give them upto 30 days and can then report theft to the police?

4. If I go above the weight estimate, I was told that charges would be minimal (100 lbs would be like 70 bucks)? Does that sound right? I'm just afraid they might do a bait and switch where they might charge exorbitant rates if i go above their lb estimate (the non-bound ones).

5. Anything else I should be aware of and should consider?

Note that I do want to sue a full service over and not PODS/ABF etc. Thank you.

iphoneeeeee

Re: First time moving interstate (WI to VA), need advice!!

Postby iphoneeeeee » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:54 pm

iphoneeeeee wrote:Moving from Milwaukee, WI to Fairfax, VA. Got a quote from 3 interstate movers (name of the local Milwaukee mover in parenthesis):

Mayflower (Boulevard): 3400 lbs $3000 BOUND estimate

NA van lines (Beltman group) : 2800 lbs $2100 not bound

Allied (Behrens): 2900 lbs $2100 not bound

Here are my questions:

1. Any experience with these Milwaukee movers? For what its worth, I checked the BBB ratings for these companies and they were A+. (i also checked the sticky thread with mover reviewers but didnt have any info on these movers and also seemed dated -2006)

2. The NA van lines and Allied couldn’t provide a bound estimate. Is that a problem? Or should I be able to trust their word that the estimate is legitimate? (granted the size in lbs doesn’t change)? Also when the driver loads the trucks for NA and Allied, would the charge be final then right?

3. They all said to expect a transit time of 4-12 days. Worse case scenario if it doesn’t get to me within 12 days, what’s my legal recourse? I heard that I have to give them upto 30 days and can then report theft to the police?

4. If I go above the weight estimate, I was told that charges would be minimal (100 lbs would be like 70 bucks)? Does that sound right? I'm just afraid they might do a bait and switch where they might charge exorbitant rates if i go above their lb estimate (the non-bound ones).

5. Anything else I should be aware of and should consider?

Note that I do want to sue a full service over and not PODS/ABF etc. Thank you.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:45 am

Did you get visual surveys from these companies?

Why is Allied and North American unwilling to give you binding estimates?

I am familiar with Boulevard [I am with Mayflower], and if they are willing to bind your job that would be my recommendation. Obviously if the shipment is bound, the worry about it going over the estimated weight is out the window. Depending on the option they offer, if the shipment is less weight, your final charge could also be less [down to the 2100 lb minimum Mayflower has, unless they bind at a higher minimum weight]
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

iphoneeeeee

Postby iphoneeeeee » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:18 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Did you get visual surveys from these companies?

Why is Allied and North American unwilling to give you binding estimates?

I am familiar with Boulevard [I am with Mayflower], and if they are willing to bind your job that would be my recommendation. Obviously if the shipment is bound, the worry about it going over the estimated weight is out the window. Depending on the option they offer, if the shipment is less weight, your final charge could also be less [down to the 2100 lb minimum Mayflower has, unless they bind at a higher minimum weight]

Yep got visual surveys from all 3.

Unsure why ALlied/NA didn't give me a binding estimate. I did look at couple of on-line moving cost estimate, and a charge of ~2300-2500 does seem reasonable for a 3K lb move from midwest to VA.

I will reach out to Mayflower and see if they can give ma quote for 2800-3000 lbs.

promover2

Postby promover2 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 pm

If you go with Mayflower, make them give you a "Not-to-Exceed" estimate. That way, if it indeed weights around 2,800 lbs, you pay for 2,800 lbs. Don't do a "Binding" quote as the price is the price - no reduction if actual weight is lower than estimated weight.

Return to “Open Community”