urgently need advice on last-minute move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
mfaier

Postby mfaier » Thu May 24, 2012 2:54 pm

I have a long-distance move of good furniture this Saturday. The local North American Van Lines agent gave me a binding quote that I just figured out includes an $800 fee for holding onto my furniture until space opens in several weeks on a van going to my destination. I am unhappy about the fee and have looked into options. Because of the high praise at this site for Moovers Inc., which is located about an hour drive from me, I contacted them. Given the short notice, they cannot do an in-home quote but they've provided a binding quote using the N. Am. van lines agent's inventory. The quote is $300 less. They require a nonrefundable $200 deposit today to book. I have also found a fairly new NYC company called President Moving and Storage, started by guys who worked for
FlatRate and Oz for 10 years, that subcontracts the interstate move and would do the move for $700 less than the N.Am. agent. Whom should I use? Or does someone have another recommendation? I have 4200 pounds to ship. Thanks!!

MusicMom

Re: urgently need advice on last-minute move

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 pm

No to option 3. Period.

Either NAVL or Moovers would be fine. Are.you considering bagging NAVL just because they're charging you for storing your things in transit? Because that's a legitimate cost. Was it not discussed at the estimate time?

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu May 24, 2012 11:31 pm

I agree with musicmom. Did you have to be out by a particular, or on a particular date?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Sat May 26, 2012 9:19 pm

So the North American guy takes his time to come out and do the estimate, he finds a way to service the shipment even though it is a last munte move in May and the van lines have many dates shut down, then the customer takes his work to Moovers and they beat the price by $300.00 so the customer is thinking of using them. Personally, I find the extra charge to pickup and hold the shipment to be fair. However, the customer giving that sales rep's estimate to another mover is totally unfair. I also find it unethical for Moovers to acept it. Sales reps in this industry work on commission. If you use Moovers, sent the North American rep some money for the work he did. Or better yet, Moovers should send the guy some money since they willingly used his estimate for their quote. I know this kind of stuff goes on all the time but it really hitsa a nerve with me. As salespeople, we bust our butts trying to fit customers into our schedule and then they give away our work. Does anyone else see anything wrong with customers doing this kind of thing?

Nstasiuk

Postby Nstasiuk » Sun May 27, 2012 4:36 pm

chaz4moving wrote:So the North American guy takes his time to come out and do the estimate, he finds a way to service the shipment even though it is a last munte move in May and the van lines have many dates shut down, then the customer takes his work to Moovers and they beat the price by $300.00 so the customer is thinking of using them. Personally, I find the extra charge to pickup and hold the shipment to be fair. However, the customer giving that sales rep's estimate to another mover is totally unfair. I also find it unethical for Moovers to acept it. Sales reps in this industry work on commission. If you use Moovers, sent the North American rep some money for the work he did. Or better yet, Moovers should send the guy some money since they willingly used his estimate for their quote. I know this kind of stuff goes on all the time but it really hitsa a nerve with me. As salespeople, we bust our butts trying to fit customers into our schedule and then they give away our work. Does anyone else see anything wrong with customers doing this kind of thing?

Chaz - I happen to disagree with you on this. Personally, I'm proud of my estimates. If a customer wants to send it to five other companies to quote, so be it. In the end, I'm not selling the price, I'm selling the service. If they're going to choose a company for $300 less it's not worth my time either way.

Mfaier - You had actually called me for a quote also, but it seems I misunderstood your situation. You made it seem like you had scheduled with North American a while ago and they just called you this week to tell you that they had to charge you $850.00 additional. If this was disclosed to you upfront on their estimate it certainly changes the story. With no capacity, we would surely have charged for storage and warehouse handling as well.

-Nic

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon May 28, 2012 7:26 pm

I agree with chaz on sharing estimates. I think the customer should ethically only share the weight and the cubes.

Why let someone else work up a bid and undercut the guy who did the work.
This is especially important when more than one van line has prepared an estimate with their pricing.

If you were to share that with a sales person from a competing van line, you would be in violation of the anti trust laws, because technically you could be accused for collusion.

I hope shippers that read this will understand that sales people have hard enough times competing, but then to just volunteer their information to someone who hasn't even come up is distasteful to me.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue May 29, 2012 8:12 am

I'm with Chaz. I can't begin to say how many people want to "share" our info. with other van lines. It's gotten so bad, we don't give the shippers our cube sheets any more. In fact, when a shipper wants our cube sheet, we sell it to them. I know right away if they're sharing the info or not. Why should I work for "free"? 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue May 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Has anyone considered that the shipper called late in the game, after being quoted, to set up her move, by such time the calendar has changed in the system and then the NAVL agent advised of the added cost? I doubt NAVL just threw it in there without advising this shipper. Shipper dragged ass in making a decision thus the added charges, legit added charges I might add. Or perhaps the charge was in there but the shipper didnt have an itemized price break out. Either way it doesnt sound like it was just thrown into the quote to hide the charge.

In regards to sharing quotes or rates or weights with another company to get a better deal. I think it happens all the time. Does it make it right or wrong, I dont know. But at that point you sure as hell know that price is the only issue, which 9 out of 10 people coming to this website for help made with the wrong companies and got scammed.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed May 30, 2012 8:27 am

I actually had a major van line tell the customer to give them the information when I was doing in home estimates. It happened only a few times. I called their legal department and told them what was going on. I also told them that if I heard about it again I would be taking them to court for using my professional work product without my authorization and go for damages if I lost the move to them. As a professional work product which is your property you are entitled to protect it. After the last occurrence I never had it happen again. I even tell the customers about the sharing of the estimate and would like to know of any company that request it.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Griffin Allied

Postby Griffin Allied » Thu May 31, 2012 8:25 pm

If I was you I would choose the cheapest quote regardless of who its from and then come back to complain that you have been scammed!
Moving families since 1929

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Sharing information happens all the time and we have no way to control it, and I personally have no problem with my work being shared.

Let's face it, we knowingly offer a "free" estimate. No fee for it. No obligation to book with us. If that potential client decides to share our info with other movers, it most likely means one of two things:
1. We weren't convincing enough to secure the business, or
2. The lowest price is more important than anything else.

So we either lost the business on something we said (or didn't say), or the customer is too cheap. Experience has proven that those are the customers who will be the most difficult in the end.

Good sales reps aren't selling solely on price, and good customers aren't choosing solely on price.

There is a mover for everyone :)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Nstasiuk

Postby Nstasiuk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:01 am

BigLeeCalif wrote:I agree with chaz on sharing estimates. I think the customer should ethically only share the weight and the cubes.

Why let someone else work up a bid and undercut the guy who did the work.
This is especially important when more than one van line has prepared an estimate with their pricing.

If you were to share that with a sales person from a competing van line, you would be in violation of the anti trust laws, because technically you could be accused for collusion.

I hope shippers that read this will understand that sales people have hard enough times competing, but then to just volunteer their information to someone who hasn't even come up is distasteful to me.

I guess it depends on the situation. Here is a scenario I ran into last week: Shipper moving a one bedroom from NY to FL and already had multiple estimates. I came in to do a visual and presented my pricing. After looking at the price, the shipper told me that he had another much lower estimate from a Mayflower agent. I asked to see the estimate (maybe I'm including something the other guy didn't, or maybe he didn't include something that was necessary for the move). The first major difference was the weight. Mayflower was in at 3500# and i was at 4100#. Both of us had quoted a full pack by weight and included a shuttle. Both estimates were binding. Now the key here was the cube sheet. After I took a look at their cube sheet I noticed they did not include ANY dish packs, wardrobes, or mirror cartons. The shipper had a full kitchen, artwork in every room, and three full closets of clothes. Those cartons were the major difference in weight. Needless to say, I didn't book the move. I wonder if the driver challenged?

Now if the shipper gives a competitor the estimate without them coming out, I would not be OK with that. Different scenarios I guess.

But back to the original topic. Mfaier - did you end up sticking with NAVL? How did this turn out?

-Nic

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:04 am

Now if the shipper gives a competitor the estimate without them coming out, I would not be OK with that.

I'm perfectly okay with it and here's why:
If someone shares my estimate to another company that didn't go out, it means they're shopping strictly on price - not my customer. And if not then shame on me for not closing the busines with an in-home face to face presention.

If someone asks me to provide them with an estimate based on another mover's estimate, I immediately tell them I don't want to hear the price, that I just need the weight and packing count. I provide an estimate and if they don't book with me, I'm quite happy not to have spent my time and money going to their home. If they do want to book, I suggest an in-home estimate for greater accuracy.

Consumers are very busy, and I can't blame them for getting one or to estimates, then calling other movers to compare pricing without wasting more of their time, and the time of other sales reps, when only one of them will get the business. Makes way more sense to me than scheduling ten appointments with ten sales reps.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”