Allied Shipping by Air Freight?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
movingbuddha

Postby movingbuddha » Tue May 01, 2012 3:54 am

I had a home estimate from an Allied agent for a 1 BR apt interstate move (IL to CA). I have a tight window in which to receive the shipment. The agent said that what they typically do for these types of moves is pick up the items via truck, take them to their warehouse and load them into a shipping container, which is then shipped the next day as air freight through UPS or Fedex. He said that they could guarantee a delivery date.

Has anyone else heard of this method through Allied, and have you had any experiences. Thanks!

chrisatlas

Re: Allied Shipping by Air Freight?

Postby chrisatlas » Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 am

domestic?? if you call fedex or UPS you could possibly do this yourself

Has anyone else heard of this method through Allied, and have you had any experiences. Thanks![/quote]

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue May 01, 2012 10:20 am

Allied is now requesting all its Agents to sell shipments that weigh less than 2500#s to be containerized & sent via motor freight. I guess AVL thinks they will have a driver shortage & this will be a good/reliable way to service the smaller shipments. Agents have to sell valuation, AVL will pay a delay claim (up to $75/day) & a "shorter" delivery spread is anticipated. I'm not convinced, because this program will add more $$ to the smaller shipments for the shipper. 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

movingbuddha

Postby movingbuddha » Tue May 01, 2012 7:28 pm

Thank you for your replies. I am moving domestic. I looked into shipping my possessions via UPS, USPS, etc., but I have a few large items and furniture that I was going to bring cross country. I received 4 quotes from reputable agents, all around the same ballpark and it was more cost effective than shipping my things individually and purchasing furniture at the destination.

Does air freight, or motor freight mean that it is still shipped by truck, not by plane? They did say that it would be containerized so my things would not be mixed with other shipments. I had no luck finding details online about this type of delivery.

Thanks again.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed May 02, 2012 7:45 am

Air freight can indeed be shipped via truck. In fact, I have to truck my airfreight to the closest airport for service. Your goods would be containerized into either wood crates or cardboard crates & shipped via truck/air. 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"

promover2

Postby promover2 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:48 pm

North American Van Lines is doing the same thing (same parent company as Allied), it's called Blue Express. My understanding is that United and Mayflower are doing the same thing. It should greatly increase transit times.

NYCMover

Postby NYCMover » Tue May 08, 2012 8:32 pm

For small shipments moving during the busy season, the containerized, multi-carrier/modal method increases transit times on short-haul moves, but decreases them on long-haul jobs.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed May 09, 2012 6:57 am

Yes its legit. Its called Allied Express. In my humble opinion, small moves are the biggest pain in the ass :? . Especially in the summer time. Customers want it loaded in one day and delivered the next. They think all movers just have trucks going to their locations all the time, so just throw it on the back on the truck. It doesnt work that way. This program, allows your goods to be picked up and delivered in a timely fashion, faster then if with a normal shipment through the van line. The main thing is the OA and DA have to be within 50 miles of the origin address to utilize this program and 2500 pounds or less. General turn around is 7 days. Moves are priced as binding as well. Most of your majors have a program like this now.

It allows the van line to open up space on their trucks for their accounts and bigger moves. Similar to companies that stray from shipping autos in the truck during the summer time as well.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Sat May 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I am thinking you may have misunderstood the Allied sales rep or he mispoke. As noted, the program is called Allied Express. Shipments are picked up by the agent @ origin on a specific day , containerized, transported in a truck via a freight carrier to destination, and then delivered by the Allied agent to your destination address. Works very well and usually gets your shipment to destination sooner than if it had been shipped via the conventional Allied household goods fleet.

Return to “Open Community”